Using an ODB2 tool to diagnose an engine check light? (Ford Fiesta)

Associate
Yesterday an orange 'engine' light came on my automatic 2007 Ford Fiesta (think it's a Mk 6.5?). I managed to get into the test menu but it showed no error code. I did a bit of a google and some people have suggested buying an ODB2 tool that hooks to the engine/car somewhere and will then give me a diagnostic code as to the cause of the yellow engine light.

Haven't noticed any issues with driving the car, except maybe that, whereas it would always tend to 'roll forward' whilst idling on flat ground with the brake off (as automatic cars do), it's not been doing that lately....

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it a pretty simple thing? I've found some diagnostic tools online that transmit the error codes to your phone via Bluetooth...do they work with any standard iPhone?

Don
I've no experience with regards to iPhones, but on Android I have used a generic ODB2 bluetooth dongle e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-ELM...Torque-Android-Auto-Scan-Tool-UK/331783338768

and the Torque app, which is able to read/clear any stored fault codes.

ODB2 fault codes will generally only point you in the direction of the problem, manufacturer specific diagnostics often provide a lot more detail with regards to how the code is interpreted.

Associate
OP
Thanks; looks like that (and all models like it) are Android/Windows phone (!!) only:

Operation system supports: for Android Smartphones, for Symbian, for Microsoft (mobile phone, tablet), most computer system (except for Apple system), and all these device must have Bluetooth function.

Will keep looking for an iPhone compatible.....

Associate
You could always just buy a basic OBD2 reader off Amazon, shouldn't cost more than £15-£20 tops. Test menus on Fords often only bring up any DTC's related to the actual instrument cluster

Soldato
For fords you need a switchable high/low speed OBD2 reader. You can either modify a standard reader (it's easy) or buy a pre modified one.

You'll then want forscan to try and give more information.

Soldato
For fords you need a switchable high/low speed OBD2 reader. You can either modify a standard reader (it's easy) or buy a pre modified one.

You'll then want forscan to try and give more information.

This!

FORScan is a great piece of software. I upgraded my fiancé’s lights to DRL ones and enabled them through this and it was a doddle. Also gives extensive fault codes with recommendations.

Associate
Depends how deep into the fault codes you need to go - I keep a basic Amazon reader in the boot for emergencies then got a elm327 unit (switchable for hi and low speed canbus) which I use with the laptop and elmconfig software. Does give access to lot more fault codes plus the ability to enable/tweekall sorts of things.

Don't know if there's much difference between that and Forscan, and can't say 100% if it also covers the Fiesta but it's another option

Soldato
I have both but tend to use Forscan as typically I'm only looking to run codes or data logs.

From memory you can do far more in the way of adjustment with elmconfig, but Forscan is more user friendly in terms of actual fault diagnosis. Not sure you get the same range of Ford specific modules with elmconfig (but again I rarely use it)

Back
Top Bottom