Starting to loathe having direct debits setup with utility companies as it seems their system which calculates direct debits always seems way off. I’m with OVO for both gas/electricity and from October 2017 – November 2018 provided a meter reading every month for both energy supplies and my direct debit was always £86 per month and never heard anything. I didn’t provide a meter reading for December or January this year and in February I get a notification from them that they’ve estimated my usage has gone up and will be increasing my DD to £116 per month. After this I decided to actually work out my monthly cost and discovered on average we’ve only used £52 a month, check my bill, and yep we’ve paid a few hundred pounds more than we’ve actually used, yet, somehow they think I should increase my direct debit to something over double my actual usage, which seems to have stemmed from not providing a meter reading for 2 months. Anyway, I ring them, and they agree to pay the extra money back, however, stated they can only bring the DD down to £76 a month, despite, from over a years’ worth of actual meter readings, we use £52 a month, so I guess at some point they’ll be paying back another lump sum, I’d rather just pay less a month. Something similar, but the opposite has now happened with our water supplier, from October 2017 until now, the DD has been £20 based on their recommendation, in that time, they’ve taken 5 meter readings apparently and now want to increase the DD to £100 as it seems we’ve been using closer to £40 a month and so have fallen behind to the sum of £350. I’ve got no problem paying what we owe, but it just doesn’t make any sense because when working through the meter readings, we’ve never used £20 or less a month, so I don’t get why it’s taken until now to decide to increase our DD, especially since usage has been pretty consistent and should have been obvious from the reading after 6 months it would need to be increased. I’ve spoken to the water company and agreed to pay £75 a month to cover usage and start paying what we owe of, although had no real answer to the fact it’s taken 5 meter readings to work out our DD won’t cover our actual usage. So basically I’m just ranting, it doesn’t seem too hard to actually calculate usage when provided with meter readings and therefore work out the estimated usage and change the DD accordingly.