UV reactivity of cable sleeves

Associate
I recently bought MDPC-X sleeves to mod a couple of cables. Both (white and blue) were being advertised as UV-reactive. Unfortunately this doesn't seem the case, as I can't get them to fluorescence under any of the UV lights (ranging from 340 to 370nm). Does anyone know what frequency I'd need to get them to light up or which sleeves to buy which are reactive at the normal UV-A range?

Kind regards and a happy new year,

QD

Soldato
The MDCP-X official images do show it with a blacklight though, and a blacklight is longer wave and will have a wider range, higher than an UV LED strip or PC cathode UV tube. You'll almost always get a brighter reaction under a blacklight, and it could be you get very little at all unless you do use one, depending on the specifics of the UV material. It could be the MDCP-X cable just needs that much stronger blacklight to react properly. The tricky thing is getting one inside your PC case though.

Associate
OP
Well, according to my knowledge and various scientific sources 'blacklight' is UV light. From my previous experience with different materials the upper end of UV-A (370-405 nm) is more than enough for normal consumer fluorescent materials. The MDPC-X sleeves simply aren't UV-reactive. Unless I got the wrong colour delivered. So the question still remains, which braided sleeves are actually UV-reactive?

Soldato
Well, according to my knowledge and various scientific sources 'blacklight' is UV light. From my previous experience with different materials the upper end of UV-A (370-405 nm) is more than enough for normal consumer fluorescent materials. The MDPC-X sleeves simply aren't UV-reactive. Unless I got the wrong colour delivered. So the question still remains, which braided sleeves are actually UV-reactive?

Blacklight is UV of course, but its range is greater than LED strips or cathodes. Usually this is obvious when you put something under both... a blacklight will illicit a much brighter effect. If you're getting NOTHING from the sleeving, that is quite strange. The official MDCP-X pictures do clearly show it reacting. Some materials will only react on a much higher range... UV reactivity isn't equal on all. Same goes for certain colours. UV green is amongst the brightest, UV purple the least (in my experience).

Back
Top Bottom