Valued Customer

Associate
Ok, I've been a customer with O2 for some time now with a £60/month contract for somthing in the rejoin of 4 Years, each year when my contract runs out I get the latest handset and renew my package. on a couple of occasions when I have been away on buisness and taken my laptop I have used the data function to recive large emails spent time on the internet ect.. and have run up very large bills. Just recently the broadband line to my house died and for a couple of months while they were troubleshooting testing lines ect.. somewhere I used £800 worth of data, last time I used the internet a lot they sent a courtesy message at the £300 mark, no warning message. ok they don't have to but doing it one time and not the other. Thats all fine and good, im not disputing the bill. just wandering once i have payed this bill next month (didnt quite have £800 laying around) would it be possible to get a new handset of some other valued customer incentive? ive seen the Nokia 8800 which has caught my eye and as my contract is not up till september would like an upgrade on the handset.

so the question, will they, and if they do who do i speak to? customer services? how do i go about it? letter? email? call? i dont have much experiance getting along with large co-orperations and call center scripted kiddies.

stu

Associate
stuman said:
Ok, I've been a customer with O2 for some time now with a £60/month contract for somthing in the rejoin of 4 Years, each year when my contract runs out I get the latest handset and renew my package. on a couple of occasions when I have been away on buisness and taken my laptop I have used the data function to recive large emails spent time on the internet ect.. and have run up very large bills. Just recently the broadband line to my house died and for a couple of months while they were troubleshooting testing lines ect.. somewhere I used £800 worth of data, last time I used the internet a lot they sent a courtesy message at the £300 mark, no warning message. ok they don't have to but doing it one time and not the other. Thats all fine and good, im not disputing the bill. just wandering once i have payed this bill next month (didnt quite have £800 laying around) would it be possible to get a new handset of some other valued customer incentive? ive seen the Nokia 8800 which has caught my eye and as my contract is not up till september would like an upgrade on the handset.

so the question, will they, and if they do who do i speak to? customer services? how do i go about it? letter? email? call? i dont have much experiance getting along with large co-orperations and call center scripted kiddies.

stu

No. The earliest you can upgrade is 9 months into your contract (i.e. 3 months early). Thats normally if you with O2 select any way (they are a priority CS team for customers who spend a lot). You get invited to O2 select if your bills are high (over £50 per month on average over the last 6 months) and have taken a normal O2 high street tarrif (not O2 Online, not CPWS).
You just ask for an upgrade they give it to you no fuss. 8800 shouldn't be a problem.

However 2 things against you:
1) Your not paying the complete bill on time (this is something they don't like)
2) You 8/9 months left, O2 aren't really gonna do anything for you more then likely. Feel free to try, but normally I don't see them moving. If you consistantly speed circa £300+ per month then maybe. You'll need to work out your aveage spend over 3 months to see how "valuable" you are to them.

I do have to ask, unless the company is footing the bill, there are better mobile internet options out there, O2's is quite rubbish really.

Associate
get your self of o2 mate, jesus I would have had a cardiac arrest if my bill came to that, have you had a look at the t-mobile data plans there very good indeed, e.g I am using my vario 2 on the web & walk professional plan and use my handset as a modem for my laptop when I am away, my bill never seems to exceec the cost of the plan. what are you doing on your lappy to get charges of that much anyways.
get back to me fella,
nice one alex slane .

Associate
OP
yes, i am the person footing the bill, as the company is small. I have recently relised that O2 is rubbish for the mobile data when a colluge of mine who gets about the same use got a bill for £70 as opposed to £800.That was a little agrevating to say the least. and from now on now that i have bt broadband ill make sure i get my ass to a hotspot. but would still like the upgrade. yes, my bill does come to more than £50 a month i think its £62 standard. which does get payed on time. but like i said there was no way i had 800 nicker laying around to shift it all at once.

alex. using it for transfering files most of the time, photoshop file of about 50 meg or so, also web meetings, discussing projects ect. it soon mounts up at i think £2.30/Mb.

is theere a phone number i want to be contacting about getting the upgrade? or just head for the call center mazes and try to get through to somebody who knows somthing?

cheers again guys

stu.

Associate
Can't help too much on this one, as it depends where you signed up your O2 tarrif from. You may want to look at T-Mobile though, £15 a month gets you unlimited data (well as much as), for any thing you want to use it for, plus unlimited access at Wi-Fi hotspots (T-Mobile ones).
£15 VS £800 I know which one I'd choose. The majority of the plans are now better value too. I would seriously consider a look.

Soldato
stuman said:
ive seen the Nokia 8800 which has caught my eye and as my contract is not up till september would like an upgrade on the handset

Everything else you've said aside, do not get the 8800. There are serious quality control issues. Where as my friends say there's is ok, a hell of a lot of people have serious issues with 1 way audio in calls and terrible battery life.

Soldato
Battery life isnt really that bad i didnt think, you get 2 batteries so you just get in the habit of using one for 2 days and then switching. Quality was good although i admit the audio wasnt very good.
Still loved the phone though and would happily get another

Back
Top Bottom