Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
I can see this being very popular and in huge demand just in time for xmas.

But I'm not playing games that much lately for some reason, so although it's tempting I'm going to resist.

Soldato
The basic one having eMMC and only 64Gb at that seems like an odd choice

Yeh no access to GTAV, Red Dead etc because of the storage.

Seems a bit pointless.

Yeah it is pretty useless. Also think the size of storage is really stingy for the price. Okay might suit someone who installs stuff like Lego games but then again would you really want to fork our £349 to play games with a smaller storage footprint?
Should be 128gb for £349 at the very least.

Compute
Processor
AMD APU
CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W
RAM
16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)
Storage
64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
All models include high-speed microSD card slot

Associate
Really like the look of this bit don't have a lot of opportunity for mobile gaming. Curious how it would run triple a titles like cyberpunk or hzd on 15 w platform?

Soldato
Hmm, does it allow steam workshop to be used with any of the games. Would be interested if allows for modded titles.

IGN FAQ video mentions that you can use mods on the games and steam workshop will work.

Think I'm going to order one if I can, all my steam game on the move, plus can probably stick emulators on it and run massive amounts of retro games, sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Associate
Essentially a Linux Switch.
I can defo see a market for this, based on game prices alone i.e. steam sales versus console equivalent will make it an attractive proposition

Pet Northerner
Don
going to pass for now - will wait and see how they review and get on with the second release whenever that happens next year.

For me there's no track record for Steam producing this kind of hardware and no guarantee it'll work as well as they claim.

Caporegime
Looks interesting but not sure the trackpads would be of any use to me, the button layout looks funky as well - why is the b button wrapping around the side? :/

Still its new and shiny and I do love new and shiny. Being able to play my steam library hand held is definitely appealing. Ill be putting a reservation in.

Last edited:
Associate
IGN FAQ video mentions that you can use mods on the games and steam workshop will work.

Think I'm going to order one if I can, all my steam game on the move, plus can probably stick emulators on it and run massive amounts of retro games, sounds good to me.

Thanks, that’s good to know. Will keep eye on this but will probably wait for reviews. Unfortunately release date is when I will be out of the country so will need to wait regardless.

Soldato
Since this is Valve do PC fanboys suddenly think a handheld console is cool? Lol.

It is a handheld PC, not a console, that is more powerful than any comparable device on the market, while being much cheaper. That is inherently cool regardless of fanboyism.

Back
Top Bottom