Valve announces the SteamDeck

Yep that was me.

Putting aside playing playing FPS using a combination of trackpad/joycon.
Or controlling mouse via trackpad.
The biggest bug bear for me will be the size of the screen and how the text would appear.

In my heart, I know buying this would be just to satisfy the inner child.

Its such a great time for younger generations to experience the video games world I have to say...
Agreed. Kids are lucky to have this available. As are parents who are looking for ways to shut their kids up on long journeys.

Associate
Valve has updated the tech specs to state that the NVME drive is socketed - they say it's not meant for user modification but I reckon that'll mean that if you want to open it up, you can put a multi-terabyte one in there...

Soldato
Valve has updated the tech specs to state that the NVME drive is socketed - they say it's not meant for user modification but I reckon that'll mean that if you want to open it up, you can put a multi-terabyte one in there...
I wonder if the base spec one has an empty socket so it can be upgraded

Associate
Valve said:
All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)
All models include high-speed microSD card slot

That's from the Steam Deck site - although it does beg the question, how is the eMMC implemented? Is that gonna be a spot on the board that's left unpopulated on the other models? Presumably Valve want to make the guts of the Steam Deck identical across SKUs..?

Soldato
I've been playing pc/xbox games on my phone through gfn and gp with a razer kishi for a couple of months now and there's no issue with text etc, and my pixel 4 screen is smaller than this.

Don't get the fuss on people really wanting Stadia on it with dual boot etc, whole reason I've pre ordered one is to run games locally so I can use on the go away from home without worrying about data/latency issues. And you can do that already if you buy something like a Kishi.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've been playing pc/xbox games on my phone through gfn and gp with a razer kishi for a couple of months now and there's no issue with text etc, and my pixel 4 screen is smaller than this.

Don't get the fuss on people really wanting Stadia on it with dual boot etc, whole reason I've pre ordered one is to run games locally so I can use on the go away from home without worrying about data/latency issues. And you can do that already if you buy something like a Kishi.
+1

Who gives a crap about Stadia anyways.

Permabanned
Pre-ordered the 256gb model. Only concern for me is battery life, kind of defeats the purpose if it maxes out at 2 hours game play on the more demanding titles

The Steam Deck comes with a 40Whr battery that can support two to eight hours of gameplay.

While the battery life of the Steam Deck appears to have a huge range, this isn’t too different from comparable devices like the Nintendo Switch.

The exact battery life of your Steam Deck will depend largely on how you use it. Some games and activities will drain your battery faster than others.

Associate
Pre-ordered the 256gb model. Only concern for me is battery life, kind of defeats the purpose if it maxes out at 2 hours game play on the more demanding titles
2 hours gets me half way to my in-laws (if it last longer because I'm playing older games then that's ace), I also have an hour train ride to work if I don't drive. So for me it's a win :)

The trouble is, as battery tech gets better, so does the rest of the hardware get more powerful and power hungry. And as there becomes more power available, more games use this power to the max. This results in the big better battery still end up being used up just as fast as 20 years ago

Back
Top Bottom