Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
- the fan is audible and has a high pitch - I don't notice it much when playing, but it's a con and I could do without

I paid for my 256GB yesterday evening, with the easter weekend coming up I don't imagine receiving my Deck until mid next week.

Anyway, users on the subreddit have noted that there are at least two different fans appearing. One that is really quiet and then one that can be heard across the room even at low speeds. I'm gonna bet my one will probably be the same as yours since we'll have the same model and are this close in production.

Someone emailed Noctua to see if they would make a fan compatible for the Deck and they replied if there was enough interest then they'd consider it. If they ever do then I'd jump on it if my fan turns out loud :)

Soldato
Got the email for mine at 12 minutes past, emails says the date the pre-order was issued at 1 minute past when it went live, was on at exactly the right time, but my payment wouldn't proceed until a little while later. Wonder when I'm going to get an email to finish my order. 512GB version.

Associate
Got the email for mine at 12 minutes past, emails says the date the pre-order was issued at 1 minute past when it went live, was on at exactly the right time, but my payment wouldn't proceed until a little while later. Wonder when I'm going to get an email to finish my order. 512GB version.

You can go there to https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/...%25255C_medium=web2x&utm%25255C_source=reddit

Log in to steam, then click on link from reddit, this will take you to steam webpage where you can get numbers for your order time. Copy paste it to another website which will tell you what your actual time order was.

Email for mine said 18.09 but checking the above said 18.12.

Current recorded shipments for UK 512GB are from 18:10 (and 42s).

Associate
i thought they said in april they would be ramping up production to the hundreds of thousands ?

its now almost the middle of april and were still at 18.10pm ? yikes

Soldato
Anyway, users on the subreddit have noted that there are at least two different fans appearing.
I actually just today shipped my Steam Deck back to Valve for a replacement. The high pitch noise made it unusable for me. They agreed with RMA so hopefully in couple weeks I will get whine-free Deck..

Soldato
Should be getting mine shortly, still undecided whether to keep it or not...

I already have a GPD Win Max, that is amazing.

Anyone with a Steamdeck also have a GPD? Which do you end up using?

Soldato
Should be getting mine shortly, still undecided whether to keep it or not...

I already have a GPD Win Max, that is amazing.

Anyone with a Steamdeck also have a GPD? Which do you end up using?

Steam deck is much cheaper and faster but has a worse software experience due to compatibility issues and being effectively locked into the steam platform.

Depending on how compatible the games you want to play are, the software experience could be pretty dire but it’s one of those ‘your mileage will vary’ scenarios.

That’s the trade off at the moment.

Soldato
Steam deck is much cheaper and faster but has a worse software experience due to compatibility issues and being effectively locked into the steam platform.

Depending on how compatible the games you want to play are, the software experience could be pretty dire but it’s one of those ‘your mileage will vary’ scenarios.

That’s the trade off at the moment.

Guess I won't know for sure until I try it, and I'll just keep which of the two is better for my use.

Soldato
Just got my email 5 minutes ago :D

When I checked the time thing above, my order went through at the same time as the email, so at 12 minutes past the opening.

Last edited:
Soldato
How does it work once the email comes through? Just a link to a site to make payment? How long is it reserved once you get an email? I'm still so on the fence. Still got a while. Pre-ordered in July but not getting allocated one until between July and September according to the store page at the mo

Associate
How does it work once the email comes through? Just a link to a site to make payment? How long is it reserved once you get an email? I'm still so on the fence. Still got a while. Pre-ordered in July but not getting allocated one until between July and September according to the store page at the mo
Yeah just email with direct link to complete purchase within 3 days

Back
Top Bottom