Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
I'm worried that the Aya OLED is Vega graphics though

Vega graphics is just naff, you can spend 1K for a handheld to barely play games lol.
The differences between a deck and Neo is not that bad.
One thing Valve have done well is around their custom OS that can give you some decent performance improvements and active monitoring out of the box.
AYA have a very basic version of it but to get similar require the user to install scripts/other software which isn't ideal. They should stop pumping out new units, and work on their software tbh.

Associate
The differences between a deck and Neo is not that bad.
One thing Valve have done well is around their custom OS that can give you some decent performance improvements and active monitoring out of the box.
AYA have a very basic version of it but to get similar require the user to install scripts/other software which isn't ideal. They should stop pumping out new units, and work on their software tbh.
i've not really looked into Neo i've glanced at afew other portable pc reviews and they seem decent.

I think steam deck have the best option for me i can use it to play all my steam games and others on their OS

then hopefully they will have a dual boot option available to us later this year where i can install windows and get to explore that.

Associate
Latest beta update is brilliant. Combination of 40hz+40fps+reduced TDP+new fan curve and while playing DMC5 I can't hear fan at all, just silent fan humming when I move it close to ear. Temps are still around 65-70C, +40min of battery because of it and gaming with stable 40.
More demanding games like AC origins requires more power to keep 40, temps are around 75C so fan is louder and is whistling but still slightly less. Biggest benefits for lower demanding stuff, steam menu doesn't cause hairdryer to start.

Fifa22 also plays great and silent as doesn't require that much power

Last edited:
Associate
Latest beta update is brilliant. Combination of 40hz+40fps+reduced TDP+new fan curve and while playing DMC5 I can't hear fan at all, just silent fan humming when I move it close to ear. Temps are still around 65-70C, +40min of battery because of it and gaming with stable 40.
More demanding games like AC origins requires more power to keep 40, temps are around 75C so fan is louder and is whistling but still slightly less. Biggest benefits for lower demanding stuff, steam menu doesn't cause hairdryer to start.

Fifa22 also plays great and silent as doesn't require that much power
Thanks for heads-up, applying it now.

Mine arrived yesterday, haven't had much of a chance to tinker, but initial impressions are:
Big, but not heavy
Massive in it's case!
Comfortable to hold and play
Screen is great, speakers brilliant
Fan is either silent or WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Shame it won't download games in sleep mode- had to leave it on all night to download Death Stranding. A mode where it's still active but with the screen off while downloading would be good

Ordered a docking station as none of my laptop units seem to work with it.

Soldato
Aya OLED sounds interesting i'm happy waiting for the steam deck i just wish they would improve supply faster i doubt i'll get mine before september

i do have an odin pro ordered i'm hoping that comes in may or june

Isn't that pegged to be a mid ranger? It also the size of a switch lite.

Associate
Fan seems much better behaved with the latest beta.

One oddity- my touchscreen stopped working. Tried the suggested "battery storage" mode fix, no joy, giving me RMA fears. Then strangely when I pulled the power adapter out, the deck powered off instantly (battery was charged), came back on and the touchscreen worked again. Weird.

Man of Honour
I’m still down as ”Q2” for my 512GB although checking with the estimate list / calc gives me the end of May - I wasn’t sold on it but what I’ve seen since launch I think has me on board, especially considering the price v some of the other more “traditional“ handheld Windows things like the Aya Neo or GPD devices

Associate
well i've gone ahead and got a ps vita to tide me over until my odin pro and steam deck arrive

i'll probably pass it on to a mate once they arrive or keep it and add to my collection

Associate
My RMAd Steam Deck is on its way finally. Fingers crossed the whine will be a thing of the past.
Between the RMA and the new firmware it should be vastly improved. Was playing GTAV last night and didn't notice the fan at all. Before the firmware it'd be alternating between off and max even when sitting downloading a game.

Last edited:
Associate
i got a ps vita to keep me occupied while my odin pro and steam deck arrive its actually quite good am impressed with what kind of games you can play on it and how fast they are

to say that the ps vita is 10 years old its still a very capable handheld

Soldato
About a week.

Put an order in for a 2nd one because it started allowing me to where before it said I couldn't due to already having one, just a 64GB one this time though.

Soldato
what time was your order what games have you played etc ?
Preorder was the day they first came out.
I paid for it last Saturday and they tried deliver on Thursday (Redelivery was Friday).

Yesterday was setup day so only played a bit of Madden 22 (easy game to check it out) and Metro 2033. Both worked really well. Have now capped to 30 FPS for better battery life.

Completed checkout yesterday for mine, how long does delivery normally take?
Would give it 3 business days or so.

Back
Top Bottom