Valve announces the SteamDeck

Caporegime
Do they do one with a UK layout (backslash by the left shift)?

BTW, you can get a few models in the UK with UK caps from the UK retailers, since OCUK sells keyboards I can't link it. Let's just say they are huge, massive, enormous.

I got mine when the company were still young, actually backed it on Kickstarter.

Associate
My reason for buying the steam deck was to be able to clear my Steam backlog. I've got games there bought over a decade ago that I haven't even touched once. Infact, most of the games haven't been played and I just seem to have built up a sizeable collection over the years from steam sales.

Being able to play the deck on the sofa without having to hog the TV, or hide away on the bedroom PC seemed like a great idea. Unfortunately, things have turned out the way I always knew they would. Since getting the deck a week ago, all I have done is messed around with it. Like how some people spend a lot of money on a gaming rig only to benchmark and who hardly actually play the games, the steam deck has become my hacking device. From testing out different protons on various games, to fine tuning emulation by disabling threads, I've not actually got stuck into a game. I'm already very familiar with gaming on Linux and Linux in general as I have Arch on my main PC but have also dabbled a lot with Gentoo. If only I could get the motivation to now play something properly.

Associate
@purplesky similar situation but still experimenting!

I have been dabbling, mainly experimenting with none 'great on deck' games to find games in my catalogue which work and those keepers that suit the handheld nature.

One standout I mentioned is Simbin Race 07 works perfectly, only small niggle is you need a keyboard to hand to escape back to menu.
Raceroom Experience works well, slight glitch with the lighting and shadows, I hope this gets ironed out as its a decent fit.

None successes:

Simbin GTR2 fired up but I couldn't get the shoulder buttons to work for throttle and brake. Parked it for now.
Simbin GT Legends, couldn't get to start.
GOG games, I haven't tried many, One Whole Unit of Blood wouldn't fire.
DOS Steam games, Commander Keen, fired up but uncontrollable, unless you resorted to a keyboard.

Would be good to hear more about games which work well. :)

Associate
Picked up a the Nreal Air AR glasses as I've always wanted something like it, only acts as a display but works so well with the Steam Deck, no battery so it's powered of the USB C port but gives me the equivalent of a nice large OLED display on the go without using much power and all fits in the size of a regular glasses case :)

Soldato
Haven't been keeping up with news regarding steam deck since I expected mine next year, but just seen the update regarding shipping, problem is I don't know if I should keep 512 order now or just get a 64gb

Associate
Haven't been keeping up with news regarding steam deck since I expected mine next year, but just seen the update regarding shipping, problem is I don't know if I should keep 512 order now or just get a 64gb

If you've been waiting a while you wouldn't want to lose your spot in the queue.

Last edited:
Soldato
had mine for a couple of days and really impressed so far. It's a good size for a lot of indie games to run on
think it took 7 days to arrive from payment, shipping updates where pretty good when checking as well

a couple of games with issues so far
- EldenRing runs fine but seems to have too much input lag
- POE is just weird, it's not designed properly for a controller so the inputs are mimicking mouse inputs, not the smoothest of control schemes

Soldato
Anyone in here had to RMA theirs? How long did it take? Got a rattling fan, I’ve asked them if they can just send me a fan to fix myself but they’ve just set an RMA up for return. Looked on Ifixit but theirs are currently out of stock too just wondering which would be quicker to get it replaced.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Anyone in here had to RMA theirs? How long did it take? Got a rattling fan, I’ve asked them if they can just send me a fan to fix myself but they’ve just set an RMA up for return. Looked on Ifixit but theirs are currently out of stock too just wondering which would be quicker to get it replaced.
I’d be amazed if they didn’t have stock put aside for RMA’s.

Soldato
Chillin' in the office playing Archolos

archolosqdfcn.png

(I have terrible 7 year old cellphone so excuse the potato quality of the picture)

Soldato
So they won’t send me a new fan as they ‘advise’ against opening the unit up as it could effect the warranty, even though they worked in conjunction with ifixit to make spares and made it really accessible haha… They have sent me an RMA but read a few bad things online about it coming back with other problems etc. Not sure if I should send it back and potentially wait a month or more or just wait for ifixit to get the fans in stock :(

Back
Top Bottom