Van Vs car repairs

Soldato
How big a difference woupd it be working on a car vs van, say a 3.5 T van. You'd need to make sure you had appropriate jack and jack stands. What else would be different, roughly speaking most tools and techniques should just transfer over?

Soldato
Tbf i doubt most 3.5t vans weigh much more than a decent saloon car nowadays and much the same as most SUV's.

They'll be 3.5t gross, so all loaded up with cement mixers and 3 burly lads etc, empty they'll probably weigh around the 2,000kg mark so normal tools would be fine.

Always wise to invest in a jack and stands rated more than what you'd expect but I'm sure most car stuff you'd buy is rated to 3.5t anyway.

Soldato
The only issue other than getting the correct weight jack and axle stands (always get bigger than required to be safe) I can see is that there's probably more room under the bonnet of most cars than (transit sized) vans due to longer bonnets allowing more access

Soldato
Once you get beyond a certain size, you reach a point where 1/2” drive sockets etc aren’t really big enough and you might need the extra strength of a 3/4” or even 1” drive but thats more getting towards HGV etc I doubt it would apply in this case.

Man of Honour
Tbf i doubt most 3.5t vans weigh much more than a decent saloon car nowadays and much the same as most SUV's.

They'll be 3.5t gross, so all loaded up with cement mixers and 3 burly lads etc, empty they'll probably weigh around the 2,000kg mark so normal tools would be fine.

Always wise to invest in a jack and stands rated more than what you'd expect but I'm sure most car stuff you'd buy is rated to 3.5t anyway.

Most vans are still a few hundred kg more than the bigger SUVs and pickups, etc. but as you said most decent car tools are rated to 3-5t anyhow just make sure it is reasonably decent stuff as the cheap generic stuff often isn't up to its supposed rating :(

Soldato

My swb ford tranny weighs 2.2t with all my tools. My Vauxhall movano mwb weighed 2.4t with all my tools.

Sometimes I have to go on a weight bridge to get rid of waste from a job.

So yeah, not that much more than a suv

Back
Top Bottom