Vasectomy - Whos had it done? NHS/Private

Associate
Hi All

I couldnt find a recent thread on this, ive been thinking about this for a while. I have two kids, they are great and all, but i dont want the chance of any more. I find fatherhood really tough, i dont want to do it again.

Its a proper chore to get to even speak to a GP these days, Ive been waiting 6 months or something for an ENT appointment, i havent even had the date through yet. So it would probably be a long wait for the NHS so i'm considering going private, to just get it done. Sex life is not exactly great, but it does happen occasionally... My wife is off the pill now, so its condoms, which i dont mind really, but i just cant risk another kid lol.

So who has had it done, and did you go NHS/Private?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi All

I couldnt find a recent thread on this, ive been thinking about this for a while. I have two kids, they are great and all, but i dont want the chance of any more. I find fatherhood really tough, i dont want to do it again.

Its a proper chore to get to even speak to a GP these days, Ive been waiting 6 months or something for an ENT appointment, i havent even had the date through yet. So it would probably be a long wait for the NHS so i'm considering going private, to just get it done. Sex life is not exactly great, but it does happen occasionally... My wife is off the pill now, so its condoms, which i dont mind really, but i just cant risk another kid lol.

So who has had it done, and did you go NHS/Private?

Thanks

Had mine done last year after my son was born at 26 weeks and my partner almost died during pregnancy.

You shouldn't need a GP referral (I didn't), just find the nearest clinic which does them on the NHS (probably BPAS) and give them a ring.

IIRC the waiting list wasn't too long - looking back at my emails I first contacted them at the end of March, appointment was at the start of June, so 2 and a bit months.

Soldato
There was a huge thread on this a few years ago.

I had mine done ages ago so wife could come off the pill - I hate the smell of rubber - always reminded me of gas mask they used in hospital in 50's

Associate
Me and wife have discussed this recently ourselves, we have two children and my wife has some health issues. So between us, we think it’s a worthwhile procedure. Been thinking of contacting my GP about it.

Associate
I had it done on the NHS about 4 years ago. The procedure was done at my local GP and I was in and out within 30 mins. Before the procedure I had to do a small questionnaire with the Dr, to make sure it was appropriate etc (FWIW I was 30, married with 2 kids) which was fine. The actual procedure itself was mildly discomforting but nothing to write home about. Afterwards it was a bit sore but within a day I could do mild physical activity like mowing the lawn etc. I was back at work within 3 days.

Best thing I ever did, i'd recommend it to anyone who was considering it.

Soldato
I cant offer you any personal experience, but years ago I did used to work in an operating theatre where vasectomies were routinely performed (NHS). There isn't a whole lot to it and its only a small set of instruments, so from a surgical point of view, don't worry or be put off. Some patients would claim they were going back to work in the afternoon but we wouldn't recommend that obviously :eek: Good luck!

Associate
Definitely try the NHS route first, if there's too much of a wait then BPAS do it for about £500 all in.

My sure you shave your sack before hand, my mate forgot so they did it when he got there and then sprayed surgical spirit to disinfect, he nearly hit the ceiling :D

I had it done on a Thursday and was back to work by Monday.

The worst bit was wearing budgie smugglers for a week to keep everything supported

Soldato
Definitely try the NHS route first, if there's too much of a wait then BPAS do it for about £500 all in.

My sure you shave your sack before hand, my mate forgot so they did it when he got there and then sprayed surgical spirit to disinfect, he nearly hit the ceiling :D

I had it done on a Thursday and was back to work by Monday.

The worst bit was wearing budgie smugglers for a week to keep everything supported

Interesting, I asked on the phone and was specifically told not to shave as it would potentially irritate the skin/microcuts which could increase the risk of infection

How's the recovery time from this?

From a purely selfish point, i have a lot of active hobbies and then thought of 2-3 months being unable to run/cycle is mainly what's putting me off!

I took 2 days off work, and had a very mild bruising/aching feeling (was basically an excuse to sit/lie on the sofa playing games while being waited on :cry:)

Other than having to take it easy while walking and no heavy lifting for a couple of days, it wasn't actually that painful or really stopping me doing anything, I was pretty much back to normal after a week or so.

The only "negative" experience I really remember was the first "encounter" afterwards (about a week later) was quite nerve-wracking due to concerns about being oversensitive & painful, but actually it wasn't really that bad (the only other problem was my partner complaining about having to help me fulfil the specified number of *ahem* before sending off the sample :p)

I would definitely recommend investing in several pairs of tight comfortable underwear, I actually ended up wearing 2 at a time to keep everything exactly in place, and I think that definitely helped

I had it done on the NHS about 4 years ago. The procedure was done at my local GP and I was in and out within 30 mins. Before the procedure I had to do a small questionnaire with the Dr, to make sure it was appropriate etc (FWIW I was 30, married with 2 kids) which was fine. The actual procedure itself was mildly discomforting but nothing to write home about. Afterwards it was a bit sore but within a day I could do mild physical activity like mowing the lawn etc. I was back at work within 3 days.

Best thing I ever did, i'd recommend it to anyone who was considering it.

This was pretty much my experience too

Back
Top Bottom