Vauxhall Astra - Crank shaft sensor...

Caporegime
Hello all

Got an issue here with a Vauxhall Astra, and apparently the crank shaft sensor may be playing up...Question is, where the hell is it? :p

The car is a Vauxhall Astra 1.4 - R reg I believe.

I've been told it's at the back of the engine on the underside...But apparently a friend has looked there and it wasen't viewable....Any other ideas?

Thank you in adance :)

Soldato
Not quite sure what you're talking about? I asked where it was, not where to buy a manual :p

You're planning on doing the work yourself, or the garage would sort it for you; you don't have a Haynes because you need to ask where it is; since you're planning on doing it yourself, you'll most likely want to do other repairs yourself as well, so a Haynes will be a good investment both for the current problem and future problems.
That's my reasoning anyway :p

Soldato
Also, you say R reg. That could be either Mk3 or Mk4 but I thought the MK4 was distributorless

It's likely to be located on or near the top side of the engine near the cam! :p

Soldato
Also, you say R reg. That could be either Mk3 or Mk4 but I thought the MK4 was distributorless

It's likely to be located on or near the top side of the engine near the cam! :p

That will be the cam phase sensor, and if fitted they are almost always used in conjunction with a crank position sensor. If it's the 14XE engine the crank sensor is mounted next to the crank pulley, don't know about any of the other small block Vauxhall engines.

Caporegime
OP
You're planning on doing the work yourself, or the garage would sort it for you; you don't have a Haynes because you need to ask where it is; since you're planning on doing it yourself, you'll most likely want to do other repairs yourself as well, so a Haynes will be a good investment both for the current problem and future problems.
That's my reasoning anyway :p

Ah okay, understandable, but I don't intend on doing anything major in the near future :)

Caporegime
OP
That will be the cam phase sensor, and if fitted they are almost always used in conjunction with a crank position sensor. If it's the 14XE engine the crank sensor is mounted next to the crank pulley, don't know about any of the other small block Vauxhall engines.

Thanks for that...

I'll have to have a dig around when I get a chance...atm the engine is playing ball, but it's a random issue, so lets hope it doesn't crop up all too often.

Back
Top Bottom