VDSL router using USG

Associate
Hi,

Looking for some advise if possible, I have BT Infinity using the homehub5 along with the Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE WLAN with a pro version due to be install in the near future.

And i'm wondering if I could use Ubiquiti Networks USG - Unifi Security Gateway as my router if I get a standalone Draytek Vdsl modem.

Any information would be much appreciated

James

Soldato
The Billion is just acting as the modem (i had it lying about and I trust it more than the HH6), you can't connect the USG directly to the master socket (but I guess you know that ;) )

Man of Honour
Similar setup to me.

Drayek 130 > Edgerouter Lite > UAP AC Pro.

Although I think the Draytek is a waste of money, £20 BT modem works just as well.

Soldato
I'm using a Draytek 130 only because my BT modem kept rebooting and I didn't want to buy another potentially iffy piece of second hand kit.

Initially the 130 gave a lower downstream sync rate (about 20Mbps less) though the upstream was still fine. A firmware update sorted that and it's still at the full 80/20 sync.

Soldato
I wouldnt use Draytek for VDSL.

When released we ordered some 2750 units as was looking for a good all in one solution, in back to back tests with the supplied BT equipment they were approx 50% slower on throughput on the same line, 100% repeatable. Draytek ended up approving a full refund through the supplier as they were not fit for purpose.

To be fair to Draytek tech support they were very good and we tried a few firmware fixes/patches but I think it was down to hardware limitation, it also affected the 2850 from around the same time, guessing they shared VDSL hardware.

Shortly after the newer VDSL range was released but you know the saying, once bitten.

Man of Honour
Fair enough. I'm on an ECI cab and can't be bothered soldering the ECI modem I have to get the stats. Need to swap out the 130 actually and see if it makes a difference.

Soldato
How do you tell what cab you're on?

I'm getting sick of the Smart Hub and would like to use another router I have that uses OpenWRT. Therefore I need a modem...

I've done a little research and found the Draytek mentioned above, although it seems like a lot of money!

I have also seen the Netgear DM200, which apparently uses a Lantiq VRX200 chip for £35.

Another option would be a cheap router in bridge mode. The TP Link TD-W9970 uses a Broadcom chip for £30.

I currently sync at 55Mbps on BT Infinity 1. Is one option like to be better than the other?

Cheers!

Associate
OP
Apologies for the delay, Thanks for the comment so far, I have took the plunge and invested in a Draytek vigor 130 vdsl modem and a Edgemax ER-X router. Got it all working and connected to the web, however a little unsure about the firewall rules etc, whether it needs to be locked down similar to ISP routers etc

Back
Top Bottom