Veeam...

Soldato
I don't currently use Veeam, but looking at replacing our existing solution with it.

Question:
Are Nimble snapshots a viable backup solution if the snapshots are backed up using Veeam? Are there any restrictions to this method?
If i took a snapshot of a 3TB volume for example, would Veeam cope with that snapshot as a backup, and can it do granular file restores from that snapshot if the volume that has been snapshot is just a plain data volume rather than virtual machines?

It requires Enterprise Plus edition from the looks of things? but could massively improve our backup solution.

Associate
Hi, I work with Veeam on a day to day basis and it is great for doing large volume snapshots/image backups. I've also seen single files being extracted from a Veeam archive with no hassle what so ever (When restoring selected files it has the same text in the loading screen as if it was completing a full image restore which can be un-nerving). Also Veeam can do this even on the free version with the licensed variants allowing for more VMs and routine snapshots as opposed to manually started full image backups. One point you mention about files restore for non-VMs is something they are working on now with a new application to replace their old endpoint backup app with the Veeam Agent

Caporegime
I think that all the Veeam magic relies on the thing you are backing up being a VM, and the ability to use storage snapshots is a way of improving that use case. However don't quote me on that.

Their pre-sales guys are really helpful and totally non-pushy - I went to them assuming I needed a certain level of license for the features I wanted, and they were very open about it all being possible on a less expensive edition. I'd drop them a line and take a hour out to do a WebEx with them.

Soldato
Unhelpful from me, but we have a lot of stuff (VMs) using VEEAM.

I understand speaking to the guys it's been a great product for us, and we are only moving off it as we're partnering with EMC for storage and backup now (moving to EMC Networker)

Back
Top Bottom