• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega 56 help - DP > DVI adaptor for 120hz monitor?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I bought a Vega 56 for my brother and it has 1 x HDMI and 3 x DIsplay Ports.

He has an older monitor, 120hz Samsung that has been using DVI with his current 290. It has HDMI input but believe that runs at 60hz only.

How do I get the Vrga 56 connected up to the 120hz Samsung Monitor?

Is there a DP>DVI adaptor that will allow the 120hz?

Thanks!

Soldato
If you need to use the DVI input to get >60 Hz, why not just get an HDMI to DVI adapter or cable? They are typically cheaper than DP to DVI adapters and should work the same. The only thing you need to make sure is that the adapter/cable supports DVI "dual link", otherwise you'll be stuck at 60 Hz. I assume DVI doesn't support adaptive sync either way.

Soldato
OP
Been doing a lot of research and I don't think this is possible. The monitor has a dual link dvi input. There are no cheap HDMI>Dual Link DVI cables or adaptors or DP>Dual Link DVI adaptors. There are active adaptors but they run about £50 and can be finnicky. Bit gutted, have to send the Vega 56 back as brother can't afford a new monitor right now.

Soldato
Hi, just use HDMI for now till your bro can get a better monitor.

Vega56 myself using HDMI my monitors only 60Hz, gaming just fine.

Set your FPS in the Global Graphics Settings to 60Hz.

Soldato
Been doing a lot of research and I don't think this is possible. The monitor has a dual link dvi input. There are no cheap HDMI>Dual Link DVI cables or adaptors or DP>Dual Link DVI adaptors. There are active adaptors but they run about £50 and can be finnicky. Bit gutted, have to send the Vega 56 back as brother can't afford a new monitor right now.
Are you sure? I saw one on the rainforest for £4 that claimed to support dual link. I'll email it to you.

Assuming you have a Vega 56 Pulse, its HDMI port is 2.0b, which definitely supports 1080p 120 Hz, and your brother's monitor supposedly has a DVI Dual Link port that is also capable of 1080p 120 Hz, so a proper HDMI to DVI cable should be all you need. It's possible he might have to create a custom resolution in Windows but I'd have thought Windows 10 and recent AMD drivers would support 1080p 120 Hz over HDMI out of the box.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey guys thanks for the info. Dragon thanks for the link mate, on paper that should technically work! I think the cable would need to be HDMI 1.4b or something, i've gone ahead and ordered that to see if it works, would be amazing if it did! Thanks mate

Soldato
HDMI cables don't really have a spec version; as long as the port is the correct version (which it will be) and the cable is "decent" it should be fine. Even if it doesn't work you've only lost £4, worth a try IMO!

Man of Honour
Never seen any of those cables that claim they can do HDMI/DP to dual link DVI actually support high refresh/high resolution output so far - only ever had success with active adaptors and even then as above they can be a bit finicky.

Soldato
Never seen any of those cables that claim they can do HDMI/DP to dual link DVI actually support high refresh/high resolution output so far - only ever had success with active adaptors and even then as above they can be a bit finicky.
It's very possible that it just won't work even if it should theoretically. You have to also remember that Windows and probably all GPU drivers assume HDMI means it's connected to a TV, the vast majority of which don't support more than 60 Hz input. Hence you might have to fiddle to force a higher refresh rate.

Man of Honour
It's very possible that it just won't work even if it should theoretically. You have to also remember that Windows and probably all GPU drivers assume HDMI means it's connected to a TV, the vast majority of which don't support more than 60 Hz input. Hence you might have to fiddle to force a higher refresh rate.

I've not just left default options - even with trying to force it it doesn't work. (I've not actually tried it with HDMI 2.0 but doubt it is a different story).

Associate
Have the same problem with my Saphire Vega 56 ,
With my Gigabyte Aorus GTX1060 to iiyama Prolite GB2773HS used to use DVI-D dual to DVI-D dual to get 144hz.
Since the Saphire has not got DVI or the iiyama got Displayport will have to try some sort of active adapter , just bought a DP to DVI active one for £3 from china will tell you if it works when i get it next week.

Soldato
OP
Have the same problem with my Saphire Vega 56 ,
With my Gigabyte Aorus GTX1060 to iiyama Prolite GB2773HS used to use DVI-D dual to DVI-D dual to get 144hz.
Since the Saphire has not got DVI or the iiyama got Displayport will have to try some sort of active adapter , just bought a DP to DVI active one for £3 from china will tell you if it works when i get it next week.

Thanks mate, i ordered the one that Dragon linked me to. Will give it a shot! Really is quite silly how there is no way around this.

Soldato
OP

Guys just wanted to update this thread, I am so happy. The cable that DragonQ linked me to worked!

I am now connecting my brothers Samsung SA700D 120hz screen (HDMI 1.4a) to his Vega 56 via a HDMI from the GPU to DVI-D Dual Link cable in the back of the monitor and it's giving the 120hz perfectly. I honestly thought this was impossible and would have to either return the graphics card or get some kind of expensive active adaptor. This cable that DragonQ linked was only £4 on the rainforest!

Man of Honour
Guys just wanted to update this thread, I am so happy. The cable that DragonQ linked me to worked!

I am now connecting my brothers Samsung SA700D 120hz screen (HDMI 1.4a) to his Vega 56 via a HDMI from the GPU to DVI-D Dual Link cable in the back of the monitor and it's giving the 120hz perfectly. I honestly thought this was impossible and would have to either return the graphics card or get some kind of expensive active adaptor. This cable that DragonQ linked was only £4 on the rainforest!

I'm genuinely surprised - I've seen a lot of people try this over the years without success myself included.

Soldato
OP
I'm genuinely surprised - I've seen a lot of people try this over the years without success myself included.

Still can't believe it myself mate! Proper chuffed. I had read so much info on the net and was convinced it was impossible.

No tinkering needed either just straight up worked :)

Associate
Unfortunately didnt work for me , the Amazon cable sort of works , get 60hz no probs can set 144hz in properties but 9 times out of 10 just black screen and the 1 time it does work its for a few seconds of jitteryness .
The £3 china Active only works at 60hz no options at all to increase past that.
Might get the soldering iron out and see if i can bodge the connecters to a better cable.
Dont think i will bother trying anything else though as going to treat myself to a 31.5 Aoc 1440p for xmas

Associate
Oh that's a shame, did you try getting 120hz out of it ? Or did you just try the 144hz?

Yep tried 100 & 120 as well , got a really thick 24awg shielded cable somewhere so will transplant the connectors onto that as since it is nearly working it could be just down to a shoddy cable.

Back
Top Bottom