• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vertical Mounting and PCI 4.0

Man of Honour
Hello

I’m weighing up whether I intend on vertically mounting my GPU and I’ve noticed that most riser cables at not PCI 4.0, but only PCI 3.0. There are some cables that purport to be 4.0 but then some suggest that the cables are merely connecting 4.0 devices at 3.0 speeds and are therefore not truly 4.0. The fact that there seems to be very limited availability of 4.0 riser cables casts further doubt into my mind as to how truly compatible the available products really are...

I’d be really grateful for input on the following:

1) Are riser cables that purport to be 4.0 truly 4.0?

2) If so, why are they not more readily available?

3) Does it matter anyway? Does 4.0 on a GPU affect performance in any meaningful way?

4) Is there are 4.0 cable available that doesn’t have ugly red strips across it?

Cheers! :)

Soldato
Do you not find it a little suspicious that they are seemingly the only manufacturer that is making these?

No not really there's plenty of reviews online with people using 4.0 with them. They are a bit more expensive than the pcie 3 riser cards. I think the big case manufacturers are depleting old stock before they release. 4.0 risers. I'll let you know how I get on.

Man of Honour
OP
No not really there's plenty of reviews online with people using 4.0 with them. They are a bit more expensive than the pcie 3 riser cards. I think the big case manufacturers are depleting old stock before they release. 4.0 risers. I'll let you know how I get on.
Cheers mate. I guess I’m a bit sceptical from reading this review on Amazon and I’m just a bit paranoid!

Im somewhat confused by this cable, and definitely expensive for what it is, its marketed as a PCI-e 4 cable but its not really that, so think twice before buying it, its an over priced PCI-e 3 cable that allows you to connect a PCI-e 4 GPU to it without getting BSODs and WHEA errors that PCI-e 3 cables might give you, this cable still requires you to set your GPU slot in your motherboards bios to PCI-e 3 mode, not PCI-e 4, so even if you're running a PCI-e 4 card, you can expect it to loose some performance running it on this cable.

The manufacturer seems to have some pretty comprehensive vids on YouTube though.

Man of Honour
OP
@Dandle

Hi mate - just as a heads-up I’ve seen you can actually get a white and black version of this cable from linkup directly, rather than that horrible (IMO) grey and red version. I think I’m going to opt for that :]

Soldato
Shame as I have already purchased the black/red one and my build is in a white case. Luckily you can't really see it as it behind the card.

Man of Honour
OP
Shame as I have already purchased the black/red one and my build is in a white case. Luckily you can't really see it as it behind the card.
My original intention was to paint red bits of the cable (could be an option?) but if you can’t see it there will be no need! :)

Is it working OK? Or are you still waiting for your new GPU?

Soldato
I have red cables and red ram modules so they aren't really an issue and I can't say I've even noticed them.

I currently have an RTX2060 and that's running flawlessly. I've been trying to get hold of another card as a temporary upgrade while I wait for 6800xt or the RTX3080 become available. I'll let you know if I pick up a pcie 4.0 5700xt and it works ok.

Man of Honour
OP
I have red cables and red ram modules so they aren't really an issue and I can't say I've even noticed them.

I currently have an RTX2060 and that's running flawlessly. I've been trying to get hold of another card as a temporary upgrade while I wait for 6800xt or the RTX3080 become available. I'll let you know if I pick up a pcie 4.0 5700xt and it works ok.
Cool - I'm planning on getting a 3080/90 and will also report back in due course.

I've gone with the white cable and I've also gone with the EK vertical mount - seems super sturdy, although might not mount the third bracket it it gets in the way of the tubes for my AIO.... we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom