Very scary moment

M0T

M0T

Soldato
I went to tesco about an hour ago to get some fuel and got there to find the pumps all locked. I thought no problem theres a shell station just round the corner, to get to the station you have to go round a big roundabout sort of thing all controlled by traffic lights.

Anyway I am waiting to pull on to the main road when this big saloon comes past and stops at a set of green lights, followed closely by a yaris which slows right down. I didn't think too much of it and pulled out into the right hand lane to turn right (by now the lights were red and all 3 cars are waiting). The lights change and the yaris immediatly swerves in front of me causing me to brake then moves back accross. I stay back and he cuts me up and almost hits me a couple of times and we reach the next set of lights which were red. The yaris driver is now going back the way he came and the saloon has powered off in a different direction as if he were escaping.

I looked over into the other car and the driver looked like some spotty teenager, which was a bit odd because the car was full of baby stuff and blankets. The guy gives me a funny look and is too busy to notice the lights change. I drive off toward the shell garage and just before it the lanes merge, at this point the yaris which is some way behind tries to floor it up the inside as the space is narrowing but is too far away and just ends up on my bumper. In my mirror I can see a lot of swearing and hand gestures. I decide not to pull into the shell garage in case this nutter follows and so decide to keep going.

I then drive at between 30-35 along clear roads with a yaris 3ft off my backside who appears to be following me with his main beam on. We then get to this bit of dual carriage way and the yaris boots past and I think finally, plus there is a big roundabout approaching so I can just swing round and go home. The yaris then slowed to about 10mph so I just went past, then the other driver booted it to catch up. I reached the roundabout and did not want to lead this person to my house so saw a sign for the motorway and hoped I could lose them on that because I knew that my car was a lot quicker.

The road opens up into dual carriageway and the yaris went past and then slowed down in front of me prompting me to go past again doing the speed limit. The road then narrowed into 1 lane and now I am doing 60 with a yaris 3ft off the back of my car flashing its lights. It is now getting foggy. The road opens up to a dual carriageway so I move to the inside lane, the yaris moves up to about an inch behind me in the outer lane. At this point I am thinking about just booting it and getting away but the road is seriously foggy now and I am only a mile from the motorway which should be a lot clearer.

Suddenly out of the fog the motorway junction appears and the lights change to red and as I am slowing down all I can see is the yaris which I am hoping is not going to go up my ass as I stop. In the end I braked quite gently and stoped over the line but without a car in my back. I can then hear the yaris engine revving like mad. The lights change and I floored it onto the motorway taking a completely different exit than the road I was in lane for and went the opposite way for 25 miles to be sure I'd lost him.

I then went back and got my petrol, as I was filling up was thinking about the way the guy in the saloon seemed to be trying to get away from the yaris (he veered off the roundabout at the last moment at speed) and wondered if perhaps the yaris was nicked and being taken for a joyride.

I could not believe how scared I got when the car was just a few feet behind me in fog and wouldn't just leave me alone. I swear that every set of lights I saw behind me on the way home I expected to be the yaris back again.

Why do people do it?

Last edited:

M0T

M0T

Soldato
OP
On the plus side I finally achieved the Rover book figure of 32mpg for urban driving...I actually got 33mpg from that last tank.

Edit: Apparently the book figure is 28mpg urban, so I beat it by 5!

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like a very odd situation, but hey what can you expect from a yaris driver :p.

Seriously though the way I would have seen this situation would have been for everyone second you were driving with the fool behind, he was costing you money, since you could not get petrol. Did you have a mobile on you? Perhaps called the police. Either that or just stop and wait for him to leave car and then floor it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Morba said:
why go through all of that?

im sure there was plenty of opportunity to turn into a safe place.
tbh pulling into the petrol station probably would have caused the idiot to drive on anyway.
Yep, I agree. The petrol station would be very well lit, will have had CCTV, and lots of other people around.

Definitely the safest bet would have been to pull in, all you did IMO was give in to his stupidity by continuing.

Soldato
I would have just driven into the petrol station myself, chances are he would have driven away at that point. Its easy for me to say that though when I'm not in the situation.

I know what I think I'd have done but each situation is different.

Soldato
To be honest you did well with a threatening situation, it's not like you decided to swear at him or pull over and confront him. Sure, you took the long route, but I say ya did alright.

Some right tools on the roads these days.

Don
Morba said:
why go through all of that?

im sure there was plenty of opportunity to turn into a safe place.
tbh pulling into the petrol station probably would have caused the idiot to drive on anyway.

Not neccessarily.

When some drivers get their blood up they care not who's watching. One road rage incident I suffered was in the middle of a car park with about 30 people watching. The guy started kicking my car and swearing at the top of his voice.

I think you did the right thing driving away untill you lost him.

1CE

1CE

Associate
Well, the mian thing is you got out of it in one piece :)

Sometimes it can get verry violent, as for why they do it...Because they are complete and utter Muppets!

Associate
Well I get a lot of grief from people. When I go out on my IAM driving nights I notice that when I’m sat in other people’s cars, which are mostly big saloons, even going at the speed limit they get no grief.
When it’s my turn in my little cinquecento I constantly get tailedgaited by everyone not giving respect to my smaller car.
Another occasion I got cut up by a overtaking golf on a slip road onto the M3 followed by him giving a charming ****** wave, HOW NICE! all because I couldn't get onto the motorway fast enough for him.
Just makes me think the road has got more impatient nutters on it and that following the road rules is going to make me a victim of road rage :( . Doesn’t matter though as I have a very study wheel-lock ;)

Soldato
ConfusedTA said:
Yep, I agree. The petrol station would be very well lit, will have had CCTV, and lots of other people around.

Definitely the safest bet would have been to pull in, all you did IMO was give in to his stupidity by continuing.

unfortunately, petrol assistants are attacked all the time. It doesn't really seem to put people off.

Horrible situation to be in tbh, only had something similar happen once (car full of lads following me, riding my boot and flashing etc) and I was terrified. I drove into (almost literally!) a police station and they disappeared :(

Soldato
I think you did the right thing, you either have more hindsight or more patience than me. Personally i would have jumped out at the first opportunity and dragged him out the car. Sometimes they do it because your reactions make them think they can.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
OP
Well that petrol station is locked at night and you have to give the attendant payment through a huge plastic window before you fill because a)People kept driving off at night and b) people kept attacking him.

I couldn't risk getting out and smacking him because I am not a big guy, he would have pasted me. I am 6ft tall and weigh 10.5 stone. Think I might go and join a gym....

Caporegime
Cybergangster said:
That doesn't always work out well...

Don't worry it was tongue in cheek. Ive never really had any major road rage to be honest. Some chumps get angry and try to drive aggressive but they need something pretty damn quick to get ahead of me.

Back
Top Bottom