very strange possible memeory issue.....or is it ?

Soldato
I'm not really one for starting threads, normally trying to solve them, but this one has got me completely baffled, I have a ryzen R7 1700 overclocked to 3.9ghz fully stable on a Gigabyte AB350m Gaming 3 motherboard, with 16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz ram.

Originally I was on F2 bios, but couldn't get my ram to run at full speed, so I contacted Gigabyte who sent me a newer F3 bios, flashed it, everything working fine, but still couldn't get ram to run at full speed, so I flashed back to F2 and told Gigabyte of my outcome, anyway, after fighting with the F2 bios, I managed to get ram upto 2666mhz stable, better than nothing, all through these flashes I can clearly see XMP option is available, however Gigabyte then sent me a newer F3 revised bios, which I tried out.

now on to the confusing part, so please bear with me, I noticed shortly after flashing this newer F3 bios that the XMP profile option was no longer available in the bios, so instantly thought it was the bios at fault as it was beta, so flashed back to F2, still no XMP available, so I contacted Gigabyte, and they gave me a few options to try, 1st, power off, put 1 stick in slot 2 only and boot to the bios, this stick showed XMP profile, now power down, take that stick out and put the other in slot 2, boot to the bios, this stick doesn't show XMP profile, ok so the ram is possibly faulty.

So, I RMA the ram to the computer shop I brought it from, they got it last Friday, and tested it today (Monday) no problems found, WTF, XMP working fine on both sticks, so they've put it back into stock and raised a credit for me, although I asked for it to be replaced, so today I rang them, paid a little extra and ordered the same ram, just the 3200mhz version instead, it should be here tomorrow, along with another motherboard that ive wanted all along and just brought the Gigabyte to get me by for now, the new board is the MSI B350m Mortar, which I managed to find in stock in a shop in Germany, I'm in the UK.

So, id like to hear your opinions on what the problem could be ? I know that the F3 bios updates are trying to update CPU AGENSA micro code, do you think its the bios updates ? although I went back to F2 where everything was originally fine, but not after back flashing, could it be the board itself ? or even my CPU ? mem controller, or do you think the shop is lying to me and did actually find a fault ? they didn't charge me the usual re-stocking fee, and sent me a credit instead of a replacement, they don't have the 3000mhz ram in stock at the moment, which is also why I ordered the 3200mhz ram.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance, I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Back
Top Bottom