Very Stuck what to do...

Soldato
I have been looking into getting a Samsung S8 Plus coming from a iPhone 7 Plus all due to being with apple for 10 years an not much changed at all regarding their software.
I like the idea that Android can change a lot. What I need to know is it easy to make Andriod good.. Will i miss the iPhone lol

Don
Android is already good, just as iOS is good. What "bad" do you want to change?
Personally, I wouldn't make that trade. They are both of the same generation so I'd wait until the next wave of phones.

Man of Honour
As above, I wouldn't move from iOS to Android or Android to iOS for the same generation. They both offer good and bad things. Long users of either OS will hate it at first when they move to the other. If you move then do it when you need a new, better, phone.

Soldato
OP
I though the Samsung S8 plus is a newer generation than the iPhone 7 plus. Also though it was a better spec phone like screen

What you guys got. When you moved platform was it easy. I know there slot to learn with android like what apps to get to make it interesting etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Permabanned
Depends how much you've invested into the Apple Eco-system, is it worth it? I don't think anyone here can answer that for you, their is much you change on the Galaxy S8 Plus.

Personally I wouldn't give Apple a penny of my money so long gas they use iOS, that has and always will be a deal breaker for me.

Soldato
OP
Well ive got the lot.

iMac
iPad
MBP
Apple TV
iPhone
Apple Watch.

But the Watch can go back. I suppose am already heavily in apple stuff but surely it can't stop me having android phone if I put google photo etc on them all?

Permabanned
Well ive got the lot.

iMac
iPad
MBP
Apple TV
iPhone
Apple Watch.

But the Watch can go back. I suppose am already heavily in apple stuff but surely it can't stop me having android phone if I put google photo etc on them all?

Why? lol

Give it a try but I suspect you'll end up going back to the iPhone once a new one is launched, you're already an Apple addict by the looks of things.

Soldato
Well ive got the lot.

iMac
iPad
MBP
Apple TV
iPhone
Apple Watch.

Ah you've fallen into the trap!
I think when you are that heavily invested then weighing up how the products integrate in to the all round eco-system is a factor. If it were just a phone then I think its a complete no brainer. I had the 3GS when it came out at first. It was costing me £36 month and after it reached the end of its life I couldn't afford ( or rather couldn't justify) the premium that Apple products were charging. I moved then to Android and have had three phones since then. A Samsung S3 which I ran for about 3 years, a SOny Z3 and last week I picked up an LG G6.

I now don't go for contracts preferring to stick with a Sim only plan and buying a handset out right. The LG G6 (see the separate thread) cost £340 and spec wise it has everything and more that an Iphone has. One the major things that annoyed me about Apple was the mark up they have on storage. With so many Android phones they have SD card slots which is a big plus. My LG G6 is 64gb but with capacity to add an SD of up to 256gb.

Android itself is great and I quite enjoy the customisation options you can have. The App store is also well developed which was not the case a number of years ago. i won't go back but my kids....that's another story. apparently its not cool to have an android phone which I find staggering given how ubiquitous Apple have become. My eldest daughter is moaning about her 5C not being good enough now with its 16GB but even a second hand 6S is like £350. she will have to live with it for a while longer unless she fancies a move to the "light" side!

Associate
You'll miss the iPhone, the 7+ is still the fastest phone. Screen on S8 is better but it falls short everywhere else compared to my iPhone 7. Samsung's Android OS is just nowhere as good as iOS and you'll notice app and actual real world performance isn't as good as the iPhone 7.

Used Android and Windows only for about 2.5 years, within a year I've bought an iPad Air 2, MBP TB, iPhone 7 and an Apple Watch, I don't regret it. The novelty of customising the homescreen and flashing ROM's wore off quickly for me.

Soldato
OP
You'll miss the iPhone, the 7+ is still the fastest phone. Screen on S8 is better but it falls short everywhere else compared to my iPhone 7. Samsung's Android OS is just nowhere as good as iOS and you'll notice app and actual real world performance isn't as good as the iPhone 7.

Used Android and Windows only for about 2.5 years, within a year I've bought an iPad Air 2, MBP TB, iPhone 7 and an Apple Watch, I don't regret it. The novelty of customising the homescreen and flashing ROM's wore off quickly for me.
Thanks pal. I guess it just a impulse buy.

Stupid really

Soldato

The screen isn't just better, it's worlds better than the iPhone's screen. The cameras are similar, with most review sites giving the S8 the win, but that's probably only relevant to people who spend all day with two images side-by-side looking for the differences. If you just want to point and press, both will be pretty much the same. In other words, it doesn't 'fall short' in every other way. I came from an iPhone 6s+ and I've found Android to be superior, simply because it allows me to set it up so that I can use it all one-handed (I can have additional home screens with my preferred icons all in the bottom-right and I have the 'back' button there as well, therefore everything is within reach) and that's a really big bonus for me. I've also found the themes to be quite good as well. With Apple, you can only use it as Apple wants you to use it and you kind of get the feeling that it's not really your phone.

Having said all that, iOS on the 6s+ was still vastly smoother than Samsung's implementation of Android and it's the one thing I miss about my iPhone. Either way, it's not really worth changing the phone. Wait till every device has a surface-covering display and then decide what you want.

Soldato
OP
The screen isn't just better, it's worlds better than the iPhone's screen. The cameras are similar, with most review sites giving the S8 the win, but that's probably only relevant to people who spend all day with two images side-by-side looking for the differences. If you just want to point and press, both will be pretty much the same. In other words, it doesn't 'fall short' in every other way. I came from an iPhone 6s+ and I've found Android to be superior, simply because it allows me to set it up so that I can use it all one-handed (I can have additional home screens with my preferred icons all in the bottom-right and I have the 'back' button there as well, therefore everything is within reach) and that's a really big bonus for me. I've also found the themes to be quite good as well. With Apple, you can only use it as Apple wants you to use it and you kind of get the feeling that it's not really your phone.

Having said all that, iOS on the 6s+ was still vastly smoother than Samsung's implementation of Android and it's the one thing I miss about my iPhone. Either way, it's not really worth changing the phone. Wait till every device has a surface-covering display and then decide what you want.
Be interest see screen shots as this sounds ideal

Permabanned

If the OP buys into this rubbish then he should definitely stick with Apple.

Don
I've moved backwards and forwards between Android and iOS for years. I'm now sticking with iOS and the 7+
On paper, the Android devices always utterly destroy the iPhones but it rarely seems to translate in to real-world performance. The best Android device I owned from a user-experience perspective was the Nexus 6P. The worst was the Samsung Note 4. I've owned the Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, S2, S3, S6, HTC M7, M8, Nexus 6P from the Android stable and every iPhone apart from the 5 and the 6S. The S8 does have an utterly fantastic screen though that's for sure.

If you really want Android then get a Pixel (or wait for the Pixel 2). It's pure Android and will get updates in a timely manner for a few years (unlike Samsung, who take months to push updates out and then cripple them with junk).

Soldato
OP
I've moved backwards and forwards between Android and iOS for years. I'm now sticking with iOS and the 7+
On paper, the Android devices always utterly destroy the iPhones but it rarely seems to translate in to real-world performance. The best Android device I owned from a user-experience perspective was the Nexus 6P. The worst was the Samsung Note 4. I've owned the Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, S2, S3, S6, HTC M7, M8, Nexus 6P from the Android stable and every iPhone apart from the 5 and the 6S. The S8 does have an utterly fantastic screen though that's for sure.

If you really want Android then get a Pixel (or wait for the Pixel 2). It's pure Android and will get updates in a timely manner for a few years (unlike Samsung, who take months to push updates out and then cripple them with junk).

What you got at moment?

Pixel looks promising and got good screen. So they will android update before any other phones???

Permabanned
the Android devices always utterly destroy the iPhones but it rarely seems to translate in to real-world performance.

That's not true, Apple throw a huge amount at development of the SoC and it usually shows.

Everyone can make their choice but it's strange, why would you not want a better display(resolution, brightness and HDR), camera, battery life, wireless charging, faster charging, design, sdcard slot, VR support, better compatibility and ability to customise as much or as little as your want, makes no sense really but many knowledgeable people do this everyday.

For what? some apps launching a split second faster or better 3D performance because the main phone is still stuck at 750p and a brand name.

There is no reason to recommend stock phones over Samsung anymore, Samsung's UI is much better than it used to be. I've come from a OnePlus 3 to a Galaxy S8 Plus and I don't see any difference in general speed, unless you run speedtests running 15 apps at once (which nobody actually does!) users will never pick up on the differences, commenting on such minor differences is meaningless.

Soldato
What you got at moment?

Pixel looks promising and got good screen. So they will android update before any other phones???

They do. I wouldn't trade my Pixel for anything else at the moment, it's running Android 8.0, when is that coming to the S8? Next year? Total joke.
This year I'm intrigued by Apple's anniversary phone but it looks like it might be delayed. I'm going to go for the Pixel 2.

Don
Some people prefer iOS, some prefer Android. Horses for courses and neither are wrong. The iPhone just fits my use case better and I prefer the way it works.

Back
Top Bottom