Vettel leaving Ferrari

Soldato
What are the wing levels compared to last year, and also between vet/lec?? Vet' had no confidence in the rear end of the car, and judging from the on-board he was fighting it everywhere apart from the straights..

It wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari has had to take wing off the car to try and help compensate for the poor engine, Redbull was the masters of this with the early Renault V6's. They look like they are massively down on power, the only reason Lec' was 2nd was the multiple SC's and lots of retirements. Ferrari are 5th fastest AT BEST, heads will be rolling soon if this 'update' doesn't bring them at least a second - they are in a world of pain atm!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
They look like they are massively down on power, the only reason Lec' was 2nd was the multiple SC's and lots of retirements. Ferrari are 5th fastest AT BEST

Still got to stay on the island and make it to the end. Can be as fast as you want but if you're going to break down, or crash, or get a penalty for doing something stupid and avoidable...

Caporegime
They look like they are massively down on power, the only reason Lec' was 2nd was the multiple SC's and lots of retirements. Ferrari are 5th fastest AT BEST, heads will be rolling soon if this 'update' doesn't bring them at least a second - they are in a world of pain atm!

Yes, there were retirements, a lot of them. But Leclerc still beat everybody except the Mercedes, and only the Red Bulls retired from positions in front of him. Everyone else he beat on merit. So maybe that Ferrari is 5th best but, if so, that just makes the gulf between Leclerc's brilliance and Vettel's mediocrity seem even wider.

Man of Honour
Apparently Vettel has requested that Brudle interview him after the race and that he can ask him anything,
speculation is that he's going to announce his retirement

Man of Honour
So no space at Red Bull, no space at Aston Martin, no space at Renault, no space at McLaren, not wanted at Ferrari, not wanted at Mercedes...

So that leaves Alfa Romeo, Haas, Alpha Tauri or Williams? That is, if he wants to stay in F1, which is not looking likely.

Soldato
It’s been a strange end to his career. No idea where his pace suddenly went.

He never seemed to adjust to the hybrid era. Without the blown exhaust, he didn't seem to shine, and his temper and loss of self control, seemingly poor race-craft in wheel-to-wheel, etc. He's not an Alonso or Hamilton that is able to add time to a car's performance, or adapt to a car that isn't in his preferred narrow window. That's why I always think of him as a good driver that won a lot of championships in a great car, not a great driver who makes more of the car than it should have. I'm sure the atmosphere of working at Ferrari is quite different from that of a successful Red Bull team, and Ferrari may not have looked after him emotionally. He's also famous for refusing any sort of sports psychology to try and gain that extra mental edge that other drivers seem to have.

It's a sad end to a career, but the last few years have really shown up that he's not a complete driver. He's had especially bad luck to be around when there's been a dominant Hamilton in a dominant Mercedes. That's always going to be a mountain to climb for any driver and team to be able match the performance of a Hamilton/Mercedes pairing. I'm sure others felt the same when he was winning everything at Red Bull, but that was his time, and now it's over.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Vettel has said that due to no media in the paddock, he's simply had to request a meeting to talk to Brundle.

Soldato
Apparently Vettel has been offered a position at Aston Martin for next year. Leaves Perez out in the cold as I suspect Stroll senior will keep his son in the team.

Certainly not the worst place on the grid at the moment and with the rule and chassis freeze for next the cars are likely to retain their performance.

Soldato
Folks... sorry if this has been asked but what is the reason Ferrari have let Vettel go?
I know Binotto is playing the Covid card (I dont get it but anyway)....
Is it simply his time is up at Ferrari and been found wanting?

Also genuine question and apologies for my ignorance..... whats with Binottos specs? Are they a special kind of specs? Or are they "it" in Italy these days?

Soldato
Folks... sorry if this has been asked but what is the reason Ferrari have let Vettel go?
I know Binotto is playing the Covid card (I dont get it but anyway)....
Is it simply his time is up at Ferrari and been found wanting?

Also genuine question and apologies for my ignorance..... whats with Binottos specs? Are they a special kind of specs? Or are they "it" in Italy these days?

Probably a lot of internal politics. When it comes right down to it, Vettel has cost a lot of money, and hasn't delivered any championships. He's actually made a lot of pretty bad mistakes for a four times world champion who was supposed to revitalise and rebuild Ferrari, and now Leclerc has come in, shown Vettel up, and Leclerc is the future of Ferrari at a fraction of the salary.

Ferrari get a lot of grief from their newspapers and supporters back home, and the owners want to see results. Vettel has had his chance and not delivered, so he's been dumped at the end of his contract. It just didn't work out.

Soldato
Vettel's performance at Ferrari didn't appear dreadful when he was comfortably outperforming Raikonnen. Kimi is (was?) a quick driver and Vettel was staying in front of him - what he wasn't doing was ever really showing signs of dragging Ferrari into a long term ability to challenge Mercedes. When Leclerc arrived on the scene though and started matching and even beating Vettel in equal machinery, it's little wonder they've reassessed the value for money they get from him and whether they're better off building around Leclerc.

Soldato
Probably a lot of internal politics. When it comes right down to it, Vettel has cost a lot of money, and hasn't delivered any championships. He's actually made a lot of pretty bad mistakes for a four times world champion who was supposed to revitalise and rebuild Ferrari, and now Leclerc has come in, shown Vettel up, and Leclerc is the future of Ferrari at a fraction of the salary.

Ferrari get a lot of grief from their newspapers and supporters back home, and the owners want to see results. Vettel has had his chance and not delivered, so he's been dumped at the end of his contract. It just didn't work out.

He's not wrong. Alonso might have won the 2010 championship. He somehow dragged the dog of a 2012 car into a championship decider. Vettel had a championship winning car for one year, and granted while he made mistakes, equally so did Ferrari and Mercedes finished very strongly.

Some people might argue that Vettel isn't deserving of being a multiple world champion (I disagree) but when you've got three different champions and seven championships between you, the primary issue isn't the driver.

Based on what we've seen so far, relative to the opposition the 2020 Ferrari is worse than the 1992 one, which I think is the worst Ferrari I've seen in my lifetime and certainly since I started watching F1 in 1989.

Heads should roll, but the drivers aren't the primary issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom