Video Editing build - budget £1200 - please help

Associate
Clockers good day to all. It has been a while since I built anything and have fallen out of touch with new tech since I built my last machine. Can anyone here please help me spec an Intel machine for video editing/ photography? My budget is 1200 quid and I am not too bothered with gaming anymore, however it would be nice if the rig can do some gaming. So with that I am thinking SSD and 2TB HDD as a minimum with 16GB ram, i7 for video editing and small-ish GPU? I do have a 1080 monitor doing nothing and not too bothered with 4K at this time. Any help from those in the know with the gen hardware will be appreciated. Thanks and all have a great weekend. ps. I am open to mini itx to atx builds. Cheers

Soldato
Associate
OP
Danny75;30493696 said:
thanks for the advice, this looks about spot on for what i have in mind. thanks for your help, much appreciated and keep well

Associate
Sorry for the bump, but i'm looking at the same kind of setup for the other half.
Which M2 SSD would go where on this board?

1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode) for OS?
- 1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE x4 mode) for Storage?

Soldato
Sorry for the bump, but i'm looking at the same kind of setup for the other half.
Which M2 SSD would go where on this board?

1 x M.2_1 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode) for OS?
- 1 x M.2_2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE x4 mode) for Storage?

Good question. And one I couldn't find the answer to when I checked when putting together this spec. The motherboard manual should let you know if there is any speed difference between the two slots (if so, the faster Samsung should use the faster slot), or whether the Operating System drive should go into a specific slot. What I do know is that the M.2_1 socket (SATA & PCIE mode) will nullify the SATA_1 header on the motherboard, so avoid that one and start using any additional drives/DVD in SATA_2.

EDIT: Well I downloaded the manual to have a look and it doesn't differentiate between M.2 sockets, other than one can operate in SATA or PCIE mode. So either socket will do, and if possible, choose PCIE mode for both. This may (or may not) keep SATA_1 header free.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for checking, appreciate it :)
Now just waiting on the Samsung PM961 to come back in stock. I don't think there is much difference in the PM961 and SM961?

Soldato
Thank you for checking, appreciate it :)
Now just waiting on the Samsung PM961 to come back in stock. I don't think there is much difference in the PM961 and SM961?

Actually, for this purpose (photo/video editing) there is, and is why I specced the SM961. TLC SSDs suffer from slowdowns when copying large files. They are fine as OS drives or games drives etc (only have to write small amounts, or write a big amount once in the case of a game) but best avoided for editing work unless you know you won't typically work with files the size of 5-10GB+ approx. SM961 is MLC, PM961 and Intel 600P are TLC. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2998...ng-problem-storage-makers-dont-advertise.html

The greater endurance of MLC is also handy for editing drives that will see a lot of writes.

Back
Top Bottom