(Video) Frame Rate Settings? Slow-Mo?

Soldato
Hi all

Wondering if someone can shed some light on this, because I would like it clarified!

How can I record at 30fps OR 60fps using the RX100 III?

Can I record at 60fps all of the time and it not look 'too fast', and then if I want to slow-mo a section wind down to 50% (30fps). I want to know if I can shoot at a constant frame rate and in editing decide if I want to slow something down or not.

Also, in the camera settings, being in the UK is set to PAL.

PAL shows
  • 50i 24M (FX)
  • 50i 17M (FH)
  • 50p 28M (PS)
  • 25p 24M (FX)
  • 25p 17M (FH)

Do I need to switch to NTSC so that I can get 30 or 60FPS?

NTSC shows
  • 60i 24M (FX)
  • 60i 17M (FH)
  • 60p 28M (PS)
  • 24p 24M (FX)
  • 24p 17M (FH)

If anyone could help clear this up for me that'd be hugely appreciated. Also what is the best quality, i or p?

I have been reading about the '180 rule' too with shutter speed... Hope someone can see what I am getting confused with and straighten it out.

Thanks

Soldato
If you shoot everything at the same frame rate and then try to slow it down in Post it won't look great. That's the cheats way.

I would shoot everything at 25p then anything you want to slow-mo shoot it at 50p. If you set up your cutting project at 25p when you import the 50p footage it should be slow-mo for you.

I would Google the difference between I/p. Generally I would always go for P unless you're shooting a lot of fast moving action/sports etc.

NB: I've never done any amateur video editing but I've worked in film for 10yrs so my logic should be sound :p Don't know what consumer video editors might do for you, but what I've said above is the theory :p

RaV

RaV

Associate
Ideally you would shoot your normal speed footage at 24p/25p and then bump it up to 60p/50p for clips that you know you will want to slow down. This way you get the best image quality as the bitrate isnt spread out over the higher frame rate files.
I would test out the higher frame rate footage yourself on a 24/25 timeline without slowing it down, export and see how it feels to you. It should be ok. But as above it will have a negative effect on image quality. Definitely stick with P over I though.

I think you would need to switch to NTSC if you wanted access to those other frame rates. As far as I remember, the only potential negative side effect will be filming under certain artificial lights, you might get some banding. For anything else give it a go.

The 180 rule important to make the footage 'feel' and look more film like as the motion blur will be what you see in TV and films. So ideally the shutter speed should be double your frame rate. So 24p/25p should be 1/50 shutter speed. And again 30p and 60p then 1/60th or 1/120th of a second. So you ll need a variable ND filter to achieve this consistently. Youll find some examples online, it does make a big difference to how the footage feels. Having to shoot with shutter speed of a few 100 or 1000 out in the sun really makes the footage feel very stuttery. ISO and aperture can only go so low.

Back
Top Bottom