Video still plays on phone screen when casting to TV with VLC

Soldato
It used to switch to display an image of the VLC logo when the video was playing on the TV. I don't know if it's something to do with VLC, something to with Android 10 or if it's a bit of both but now whenever I cast a video to my Samsung TV from my phone (Realme X2) the video still plays on the phone's screen rather than switching to the aforementioned screensaver logo.

I've dug around in the settings of both VLC and Android but am drawing a blank. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Associate
Whenever I've cast to a tv the video has always continued to play on the android device.
Never seen it not..... I've used various video playback apps

Soldato
Whenever I've cast to a tv the video has always continued to play on the android device.
Never seen it not..... I've used various video playback apps
Really ? strange as I've never ever seen this happen on any apps I've used (iPlayer, VLC, Google play movies, Netflix).

Caporegime
You could try this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.smartviewad

Is not the smoothest of apps but can work a treat streaming to a Samsung TV. Works for me.
great app used to have it installed on my pc and tablet so I could mirror skype to my desktop

I think by default it turned the phones screen off and you could control the touchscreen etc from the pc with a mouse.

if you wanted both screen to show the same thing you had to enable "presentation mode"

but with a tv I guess the app is a little different

Soldato
Yes, it's unchecked. Should I check it?

I have it unchecked so it only shows the VLC logo with the previous/pause/etc buttons whenever I mirror the screen, although I do mirror to an Android TV box instead of Samsung's DLNA casting (using normal casting does not support subtitles hence why I mirror). But even then, the setting should apply to that as well.

Have you tried checking if VLC pops up with the casting icon, and see if it can cast to the Samsung TV? I've no idea if VLC's casting is Chromecast only.

Soldato
OP
This is seriously beginning to my ******* head in now. Just tried it again and same thing. I'm doing the exact same steps as I did when it worked, pre Android 10, but now it's ******.

1. I enable Screencast on the phone. And connect to the TV from the list of devices.
  2. This shows me my phone's screen on the TV.
  3. I open up VLC and start to play the video. It plays fine on the TV, both video and audio. But here's the problem, the video still plays on the phone. Yet strangely, the audio doesn't.
This is happening if I cast to my Samsung TV or my Sony Blu-ray player. The video still plays on the phone.

As for VLC, I see no Casting icon anywhere in the app.

Soldato
OP
You know what, I think I'm just going to forget about screen casting for now and get myself one of those cheap Android-TV boxes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZMHMNDH/?coliid=ILA3O3WU1G7AM

£40 and it'll play just about any file I can throw at it. Seems the best option, because I'm only casting the video from my phone because my TV and Blu-ray player won't play 10-bit x265 HEVC files and sometimes have problems decoding some audio streams.

Associate
You know what, I think I'm just going to forget about screen casting for now and get myself one of those cheap Android-TV boxes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZMHMNDH/?coliid=ILA3O3WU1G7AM

£40 and it'll play just about any file I can throw at it. Seems the best option, because I'm only casting the video from my phone because my TV and Blu-ray player won't play 10-bit x265 HEVC files and sometimes have problems decoding some audio streams.
Be very choosy which box you get,some are absolute gash,full of ads and popups.
I've got a good un buts it's only running android 8, can't remember the model number but if you're interested I'll post it when I get home later

Soldato
OP
Be very choosy which box you get,some are absolute gash,full of ads and popups.
I've got a good un buts it's only running android 8, can't remember the model number but if you're interested I'll post it when I get home later

Already checked that one out on Youtube, looks to be decent. Should be orate.

Soldato
Alternative option is a Chromecast instead.

I just tested mirroring to a Samsung TV as well as Chromecast (1st gen) and Nvidia Shield (Android TV) and I'm seeing the same issue as you. On the Samsung, the video is still on the phone. However on both the Chromecast and the Nvidia Shield, both display the VLC logo. So it looks like VLC does not seem to be aware it's mirroring via DLNA which Samsung uses, but detects the Chromecast API being used just fine.

And I would avoid those cheap boxes, they tend to lack DRM needed for apps like Netlix, Amazon Prime, etc, you're better off sticking with TV boxes that runs actual Android TV OS but the UK does lack a lot of options (quick search only brings up Nvidia Shield). Xiaomi's MiBox is a cheaper popular option but you'll have to import it. There's also the rumours of Google's Sabrina TV stick as well but no ETA on if/when it will be announced.

Soldato
OP
Thanks to Victorian building quality, wifi in my house is sketchy as **** and so I use Homeplugs and need something with Ethernet rather than just wifi and both the Chromecast and MiBox are wifi only. As for the DRM level, I don't use Netflix or Amazon, I get everything via *cough* alternative methods *cough*, so I'll just whack Kodi on there and play from my portable HDD.

Back
Top Bottom