video through HDMI sound through D2X

Associate
Got an Asus Xonar D2X and was wondering how i could use that as my primary sound to my comp and have my video on the HDMI of my HD5870.

Is it possible? i got my sound through HDMI and my headphones through the D2X but thats as far as its gotten.

Soldato
If you are using an AV reciever then I had a similar issue. Couldn't get the sound card to transmt 5.1 through optical to the reciever. Had to ignore the sound card and use the video card to carry the audio through HDMI. Works a treat now.

Soldato
If you are using an AV receiver with a HDMI input (or a digital audio connection from your TV to the amp) then you may as well just bypass the card like peterattheboro did and run the audio straight through HDMI from your graphics card. The HD 5000 cards can bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD audio over HDMI, so you should get the same quality audio out of your AV system's speakers with this connection as connecting it separately to the D2X.

If you have a different sound system (like PC speakers or headphones connected by 3.5mm stereo plugs) then you can just connect them up to the sound card and set the D2X as the default communication device in Control Panel > Sound.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i'm not using an amp... just my 5870 connected to my samsung tv/monitor through hdmi... before i had it DVi from 5870 and sound from my d2x via audio jack to the tv but this doesn't work with hdmi attached just wondered if there is any way around it.

Soldato
In that case, just use the HDMI connection to carry the sound as well as the video straight from the graphics card to the TV (completely bypassing the D2X). The sound quality will be the same as if you connected up the D2X to the TV separately.

If you look in the windows sound devices you should see an AMD/ATI HD audio device, when the TV is connected to the HD 5870 by a HDMI cable make sure that this AMD/ATI device is set as the default.

Soldato
I have had this thought a few times and It would really cheese me off having my d2x sitting idle, because not everything we do on pc's is hd audio streams that the amp processes.

But really this issue is only down to using a tv only, with an amp it would take hdmi and optical at same time.

Soldato
I have had this thought a few times and It would really cheese me off having my d2x sitting idle, because not everything we do on pc's is hd audio streams that the amp processes.

But really this issue is only down to using a tv only, with an amp it would take hdmi and optical at same time.

Problem I had was I was carrying video by hdmi and sound by optical to an amp and it still didn't work right. I could only use the graphics card for sound :(

It would be ok in a 2.1 setup but not 5.1+.

Back
Top Bottom