1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vietnam on the 24th May

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by opethdisciple, May 6, 2019.

1. martin363

Hitman

Mui Ne is 'Russian world', but I agree, I like it too.. not sure I would go there if I didn't live here though

2. ubersonic

Capodecina

Sow a UK flag patch onto your rucksack/bag.

The disadvantage is everyone will know you're a tourist (as if it wouldn't be obvious anyway), the advantage is that everyone will know you're not an AMERICAN tourist, which is worth it's weight in gold.

3. KizZ

Soldato

Ah I was there 2013 Aug/Sept time and I do remember seeing some signs and menus in Russian. Still, it was a very calm place. I was told it hasn't changed much since then.

4. hotdog

Gangster

Ok con doa is much better than phu quoc. Phu was beautiful 2 decades ago, now it is like a cheap Spanish concrete resort!

Con Dao was a prison and army island upto the 80's so hasn't really been spoilt yet.

There are direct flights which you need to book in advance and don't make the mistake of trying to get the ferry over, they don't take westerners lol.

There is good diving on the island, local cuisine is good. It's like staying in a small village - except it's an island.

Brad Pitt and Jolie have given it the nod , so if your a player check out the six senses.

Basically makes a great break from the chaos of the mainland. Nothing better than looking at the sea, turtle back island whilst lazing with a Vietnamese coffee

5. Soviet

Wise Guy

As previously said, Hoi An is a must see. I did a tour around Vietnam and that was by far my favourite place.

6. Rotty

Don

Ong Lang area of PQ is still good

7. Rotty

Don

That's the hotel I mentioned earlier, mad money

8. Rotty

Don

shame, used to love a night out down there, prices have doubled and trebled in last 2 years, seems to be all Chinese down there now (might be wrong on nationality) the craft beer place at bottom end (other end to Buffalo) is good though

9. Gaspanic

Associate

Yeah, Hoi An was amazing, especially at night.

10. Dunks

Sgarrista

Six Senses? I did a couple of nights there with my girlfriend, highly recommend it :)

We went to Con Dao on the third day of our second Vietnam trip and stayed at a very cheap local type affair, we only stayed one night then booked in for two nights at the Six Senses :D

Fab island, spent a day riding around on a bike. Great little beach on the north end, but if you stay at the Six Senses definitely make the most of the private beach :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just looking at the panorama is making me want to go back :(

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  11. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Looks amazing.

12. Rotty

Don

It does but was over £600 a night when we looked

13. opethdisciple

Capodecina

Are you sure. I don't want to risk going all the way there just to find dirty beaches and trash.

14. opethdisciple

Capodecina

So from this thread what I've gathered is the following:

HCMC and Hoi An are a must.

Con Dao is good if we want beach.

---

I do believe earlier on in the holiday we will be going to Ly Son so maybe we will have our fair share of beach there.

With essentially 8 days is it possible to go Ninh Binh - Hoi An - HCMC and then back to Hanoi?

Ninh Binh and HCMC are doable as Ninh Binh is not far from Hanoi and we can fly direct to HCMC from Hanoi but Hoi An is right in the middle of the country. I don't think with 8 days we can make the trip to all three. (I am being told we will be near to Hoi An at one point so may get a few hours to walk around town)

Lets say we do decide just to do a few days in Ninh Binh and a few days in HCMC. Is there anything within a few hours of HCMC worth seeing?

I get the vibe Ninh Binh will be very very quite.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  15. Rotty

Don

Was fine when I was there in Feb

Tbh we didn't see significantly dirty beaches anywhere

16. opethdisciple

Capodecina

OK.

Are there cheap accommodation there r do we have to book hotels?

Stupid question, but is there enough night life too? like bars with some westerners in them?

I'm referring to Ong Lang.

17. Rotty

Don

Maybe a dozen bars in ong lang. Loads down long beach. Maybe look at area around phuong binh House, load of cheap accommodation in that area