Vikings Valhalla (Netflix)

Soldato
I thought it was good, finished it last night.

Watching the first episode of the last kingdom now and for a first episode to a new series it's pretty dull, doesn't help I can barely remember what happened previously either feels like it's been years

Soldato
I thought it was good, finished it last night.

Watching the first episode of the last kingdom now and for a first episode to a new series it's pretty dull, doesn't help I can barely remember what happened previously either feels like it's been years
There was a bit of scene setting in Ep1 but after that it rips along. Just finished Ep4 (TLK) and by goodness that was strong stuff. Probably the music but I shamed myself in front of the missus by having tears rolling down my face a couple of times...

In contrast, Vikings Valhalla, the closing episode it was like, huh what did I just spend several hours of my life watching?

Soldato
There was a bit of scene setting in Ep1 but after that it rips along. Just finished Ep4 (TLK) and by goodness that was strong stuff. Probably the music but I shamed myself in front of the missus by having tears rolling down my face a couple of times...

In contrast, Vikings Valhalla, the closing episode it was like, huh what did I just spend several hours of my life watching?

I'll stick with it good to know it gets better

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
4 episodes in so far and enjoying it lot more than I did the last few seasons of the original show.

My opinion the same, the original was great but starting going downhill when Ragnar started losing it. This series is miles better than the sons with the last few seasons.

Soldato
Finished it last night, decent start to the new show and it felt more in line with how the OG series started, hopefully it doesn't go the way that did with later seasons.

Shouldn't be too long before we get s2 as they finished filming it last year.

Associate
I finished Last Kingdom and thought it was very good, so moved onto Vikings due to it being mentioned on here a bit. Well i can't find it, so have to settle for this.

Episode 5 now. Not sure how i feel about it, something is off. Not gritty or dark, costumes not that good. Story doesn't build into anything, it's just like a series of events that should be important but gets quickly waved along into something else. Not sure about this.

ALD

ALD

Associate
I finished Last Kingdom and thought it was very good, so moved onto Vikings due to it being mentioned on here a bit. Well i can't find it, so have to settle for this.

Episode 5 now. Not sure how i feel about it, something is off. Not gritty or dark, costumes not that good. Story doesn't build into anything, it's just like a series of events that should be important but gets quickly waved along into something else. Not sure about this.
The original in on Amazon Prime.

Associate
The original in on Amazon Prime.

Ah thanks. I don't have Prime. Might go for the trial if i run out of things to watch. Going to start the last season of Snowpiercer for now.

I finished Vahalla last night, very good last episode. I feel overall while the series is an easy mostly enjoyable watch, it did feel like they could have changed the era it was based in to any other and it would have felt the same. Not sure if that makes sense given vikings and swords, but it just felt like there wasn't much emphasis on the old times.

Caporegime
pretty good, but don't get the forced diversity I guess they were casting during the BLM crap.

why only women though? why no asians? pakistan? indians? eskimos? mexicans? why only force diversity for black people?

why shouldnt we force in someone from every nation even if they are white

must be some polish people out their asking why they don't matter

Caporegime
well given that the viking did trade with north African, i would say that there would be good odds that a few Viking had African Blood in them
when did they trade with north africa? google suggests they raided it and suggests it was vikings from ireland

people from morroco don't exactly look as dark skinned as the actors cast in this series either.

Nothing in this series timelime suggests they ever went to africa either

Soldato

Hunted and on the run, our legendary Vikings heroes are forced to test their ambitions and courage in worlds beyond the fjords of Scandinavia. Vikings: Valhalla chronicles the heroic adventures of some of the most famous Vikings who ever lived — the legendary explorer Leif Eriksson (Sam Corlett), his fiery and headstrong sister Freydis Eriksdotter (Frida Gustavsson), and the ambitious Nordic prince Harald Sigurdsson (Leo Suter). The epic Vikings: Valhalla saga returns to Netflix January 12, 2023.

Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
S2 took everything good from s1 and grew on it, the action and combat felt lot more polished, few shaky CGI moments but other than that solid outing, would have hoped for 10 episodes but the pacing with 8 felt good.

Hopefully it gets renewed for s3 as I'm waiting

to see what happens to the Queen after killing his first wife and teasing him with the ring given to his new wife

Soldato
pretty good, but don't get the forced diversity I guess they were casting during the BLM crap.

why only women though? why no asians? pakistan? indians? eskimos? mexicans? why only force diversity for black people?

why shouldnt we force in someone from every nation even if they are white

must be some polish people out their asking why they don't matter

I like how they circumvented Netflix's demands for diversity by killing off the 2 black Vikings in the first season so they aren't any in the second season :cry:

And the black characters in S2 makes sense, that's how you do it right

Soldato
Just finished watching S2 of V:V and overall quite enjoyed it - go with 8/10.

Best parts were Leif and Harald's "road movie" to Constantinople, personally think more time should have been devoted to this. My missus is convinced that they will go a bit sci-fi in S3 and that Mariam was
a time traveller, so when Leif reaches her house he will find contemporary maps and equipment to help him find North America.
Th denouement of her story was also very sad and did bring a tear or two to the old eyes.

Weakest parts were the British scenes, Godwin such a pantomime villain his deceptions and motivations should have been obvious, unfortunately the Queen
rumbled him too late to give him a deserved appointment with the headsman

I also found Freydiss a little weak, wandering around the colony with a stupid grin on her face acting like some sort of Druid Earth Mother and not seeing what lay beneath. The fact she
single handedly took out four boat loads of warriors when it should have been obvious to a simpleton the harbour was full of oil, then defeated Olaf in single combat seemed a bit far fetched.
I actually quite liked Olaf, he wasn't necessarily wrong, any more than the pagans - just a different take on the sky fairy.

Quite looking forward to Season 3.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom