Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Soldato
I bit the bullet last night and bought an oscilloscope so I can probe all the data lines on the board. I got thinking, we know it power or "red light" sequence is good as it stays on. So after that its all about clock signals that I cant measure because I dont have the kit... So now we at least have the kit on the way
What you got what you got? I've not give digital for scopes yet, waiting till I've got a proper space for a bench

Man of Honour
OP
:eek:

My oh my. Sorry it's turned out to be a fishy trouble maker! Makes it more interesting for us though ;)

Indeed im just swapping the mod board onto my GG now to fully test that... basically im testing everything I can test before my scope gets here... once that gets here you can almost guarantee I probe a few data lines and find my problem within a few mins...

Im thinking it could be 32mhz clock signal issue but as yet im unsure... I'm having some fun poking it though. It's not acting like my mod at all... i get the fuz then a blue screen but no game boot... on my one i get fuz, then blue and then boot.

Edit: Your mod works in my GG - The mod kit is fine...

So 100% mainboard. One positive a fella I know has offered up parts when I work out what it is that is broken. So I can get hold of the replacement IC's which was a worry. So tonight I will transplant every IC onto my GG and see what makes my GG stop working :) there are only 6 IC's so it shouldnt be too bad.

Edit 2: I started swapping IC's straight away SDram off of the broken one does not work on my board... just going to put my SDRam on that board.

OK had a wobble and for a min both of our GG's were dead... :cry: but put all my chips back on mine and its back to life. Phew

So an outline of the 6 main IC's as I am testing:

Known good components:

- VRAM - works on my board

Known bad components:

-SDRAM - It's shot 100% swapped onto my board it does not work.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
What you got what you got? I've not give digital for scopes yet, waiting till I've got a proper space for a bench

I got me a Instrustar ISDS205A PC-Osilloscope

It's only a cheap scope but for stuff like this where its data line issues im totally stuck without it and the only way I can roll is by swapping chips. This is my first console thats had data line issues. Power issues etc im good... but this, this is tougher without the kit.

Soldato

2 very sorry looking Lights turned up. My everdrive hasn't arrived yet so can't test if they play games, but both actually turn on so there is that. No sound from either but I'm not too worried about that.

Edit: Missing power switch from one of the motherboards, just using a small wire to keep it always on... :D
The broken motherboard I have will come in useful for it's switch and speaker it looks like.
More work than I would hope, but will give it a go.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well I now don't have one working GG... Swapped all my chips onto the other GG and for whatever reason I now can't make a working one... Gonna need my scope to get to the bottom of whats happened here... Ill update as we progress. One thing I can say, this isn't going to be a super fast project more of a slow burn as I need to get chips and the guys I know who are willing to throw donor parts at me are in the USA so @NutritioN its going to be a slow burn for us both!

Associate

2 very sorry looking Lights turned up. My everdrive hasn't arrived yet so can't test if they play games, but both actually turn on so there is that. No sound from either but I'm not too worried about that.

Edit: Missing power switch from one of the motherboards, just using a small wire to keep it always on... :D
The broken motherboard I have will come in useful for it's switch and speaker it looks like.
More work than I would hope, but will give it a go.

if its like the dmg, the headphone jack when inserted cuts the circuit to the speaker, check for corrosion and make sure the pin is moving, had a few like this :)

Soldato
if its like the dmg, the headphone jack when inserted cuts the circuit to the speaker, check for corrosion and make sure the pin is moving, had a few like this :)

Looks fine on the jacks. There was heavy corrosion on one speaker, and on the other one wire was not connected. Power switches on both consoles are broken, one the switch has snapped but can still be used, the other just completely missing... Not sure how people manage to break things like that. :confused:

Man of Honour
OP
Wow, no worries Vince. Let me know when you've had enough!

Just bought 2 game gears! we will have gamegears sir!!! Also there is something seriously wrong with data and power delivery on your board so this is probably best... power delivery was good for a bit but last night I noticed it would work fine for say 20 mins then all of a sudden it would jump up to like 1amp draw (double what a gg should be) I think thats what killed our ASIC's.

Worry not though with 2 extra GG's on the way we can mess about and make good. Im still going to attempt to repair your original board but talking to some GG experts they are telling me it's likely going to be a mission!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I did the soldering work on the advanced... new power switch (bought a batch of 10 for less than £1 each), new fuse F1 (again bought 10 of them @1a). This one actually had two pads that weren't properly attached, there was corrosion on one and half the power switch was lifted so the other was torn at the power switch. I did some testing and the only thing that is required for a power on is the first pad and any one of the C pads (pads 2 and 3) so I had pads 2 and 4 corroded/missing which means I have pad 1 or what I am going to call +vBat and also have pad 3 (pad 2 and 3 have continuity) so the two middle pads are both connected to the same rail. The original switch would short pads 1 and 2 for power on and 3 and 4 for power off. Whereas the replacement shorts 1 and 3 for on and 3/4 for off. Perfect as 1 and 3 are the pads I have in perfect order, this means I didn't even need to run any jumpers or do any trace repair...

I now have it back in its original case until my IPS and new case turn up :D I tried a Gameboy colour cart and it fired up right away and played it in wide screen! happy days not sure I will need my custom colour once I have this up and running so may end up letting that go call it an upgrade if you will.

Also received tracking on my 2 broken GG's. Quite happy about that as got them super cheap and now have some donor parts @NutritioN, I was thinking if some of these cases are in externally better condition than the one you gave me do you just want me to just take the best condition parts of all 4 of them and make you the best one I can? My one is going back in my custom shell so I am not bothered about any of the parts for me :) Obviously I will give you all of your parts back anyway but one of the cases in particular for the ones I bought look very clean.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
You wait a month and they send the wrong chassis :( - I put a switch in it anyway but looks like I have to order in again what I actually wanted :(

Somebody out there will probably love a glue/purple flip paint switch, just that person isn't really me. :cry:

Expecting a Game Gear or two today so perhaps ill be able to crack on with that! Also my Oscilloscope has arrived so I can now work out what that GG mainboard is doing. Or at least try.

Man of Honour
OP
how much you charge to replace a switch screen bud ?

I happen to have a spare. What switch is it buddy?

Also @NutritioN - Life!!!!

Time for a happy dance?? New board came in the post an hour ago so swapped the recap over and she is singing along!! Note the board is a single asic rather than a dual asic board.. First time I have seen the single asic board in the wild!!

Back
Top Bottom