Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Started listing some consoles this weekend, got 3 switches online and think with the money I'm going to do another few game gears, I'm going to hunt down that illusive LYNX this month if I can as well. Once the caps get here I am going to make up some recap kits, retrosix kits are about £9 and I've got 20 kits in from china in individual caps so I'm going to grab a few more than I need and do a few cheaper kits. The game gear tantalum caps are rated 1uf 50v, 10uf 50v and 100uf 6.3v so ive got a couple of hundred of each on the way.

I think I am also going to list my GameBoy Colour as although I played it quite lot the parts for the Pocket and the Advance are in the country now and the advance is basically the end game for my little GameBoy collection. I also looked and a Colour like mine should make about £100 which is utter madness. Mind you I do have about £65/70 or so into it so I guess it's not that crazy.

The 3DS I also think has to go, bar testing I haven't picked it up once so I am thinking shift that, make a little bit and move on up to a newer 3DS model. Still waiting on the parts for the Vita but when they get here that should be a good one :D I went a bit nuts so can't wait to show the final product.

When I grabbed those extra game gears they both had power and audio boards, so to recoup some of my losses there im going to recap and sell the audio and power boards that should get me back what I lost or at least some of what I lost buying the donor GG's.

Things I am still waiting on from China

- 1 Clear Blue Switch Lite Chassis
- 2 sets of GameGear McWill Screens
- 20 Sets Of Game Gear Caps
- 10 Switch Charge Ports
- 10 B10K analogue replacements (the pots used in the pro controller) - This is still in pieces on my bench.
- IPS Kit for GBA
- IPS Kit for GameBoy Pocket
- PS2 Laser (last Chinese laser I bought set fire so this might be fun)
- Vita Charge Port
- Vita Replacement shell

Consoles/Ebay Stuff inbound

- Switch Lite Grey (Likely mashed charge port and other board damage) - £55 + Postage
- Switch Lite Coral (No Power) - £55 + Postage
- Lots of tubes of thermal paste
- The correct Charge port for our 3DS ready for us to sell it on (remember we mashed a "NEW" 3ds charge port into it)
- Electrolytic Cap Kits (Enough for 20 GG power boards)

So yea a waiting game more than anything. Looking forward to doing a couple of GG's to sell on as a little project I know it all went a bit wrong with the last one but I still enjoyed the challenge and want to make a few really nice ones to sell.

Last edited:
Associate
Holy hell Vince that’s a lot of purchases haha. List looks great tho , how much u normally sell the switches for ? Got a mate may be after one .

I’ve also been busy, ordered a Cr10s pro v2 3d printer , gonna try and design some custom cases and parts for older consoles.

got a sega game gear I have won with sound issues on route so that I need to look at.

no where near as busy of you but all good :)

Man of Honour
OP
Holy hell Vince that’s a lot of purchases haha. List looks great tho , how much u normally sell the switches for ? Got a mate may be after one .

I’ve also been busy, ordered a Cr10s pro v2 3d printer , gonna try and design some custom cases and parts for older consoles.

got a sega game gear I have won with sound issues on route so that I need to look at.

no where near as busy of you but all good :)

I recon I could sort your mate out a switch, what is he after and ill do you a good price on one. On ebay they normally run between £120 and £145 for a lite but in the real world id do a much better price without all the fees etc.

It is quite the list of stuff. Last night I sat and bagged up all my spare parts and labelled all the bags. Assembeled Nutritions second shell into a GG and boxed everything up. Happy with where his console is and where my GG is now so we need to fiddle with some other projects. Certain things seem to be pretty expensive here so I'm tending to buy some extras in to resell - Eventually it would be nice to have a solid flow of stuff through ebay as honestly ive sold probably 30 or more consoles on there now and not a single issue.

Ive also sold other parts such as the odd switch lite daughter board, fan, button set etc from donors. The key is to not let too much build up. Keep moving stuff along and keeping the awesome stuff and the stuff you really like.

Last edited:
Associate
I recon I could sort your mate out a switch, what is he after and ill do you a good price on one. On ebay they normally run between £120 and £145 for a lite but in the real world id do a much better price without all the fees etc.

It is quite the list of stuff. Last night I sat and bagged up all my spare parts and labelled all the bags. Assembeled Nutritions second shell into a GG and boxed everything up. Happy with where his console is and where my GG is now so we need to fiddle with some other projects. Certain things seem to be pretty expensive here so I'm tending to buy some extras in to resell - Eventually it would be nice to have a solid flow of stuff through ebay as honestly ive sold probably 30 or more consoles on there now and not a single issue.

Ive also sold other parts such as the odd switch lite daughter board, fan, button set etc from donors. The key is to not let too much build up. Keep moving stuff along and keeping the awesome stuff and the stuff you really like.

move been pricing up and emailing the sellers on ali etc , looking into maybe setting up a uk supply of screens , cap kits etc etc. so fed up with waiting so long for supplies from china / usa

Would be a full size switch not a lite :)

Man of Honour
OP
move been pricing up and emailing the sellers on ali etc , looking into maybe setting up a uk supply of screens , cap kits etc etc. so fed up with waiting so long for supplies from china / usa

Would be a full size switch not a lite :)

I was offering the full unpatched one to somebody on here for a very good price. Let me know and I can put one together :) There is 100% a need for more parts over here retrosix etc do a great job but man they are making some money on some of these kits.

Associate
I was offering the full unpatched one to somebody on here for a very good price. Let me know and I can put one together :) There is 100% a need for more parts over here retrosix etc do a great job but man they are making some money on some of these kits.

I agree their prices are insane , 59 + shipping for an IPs for gba , when you can get it from Ali for 34 quid + ship and that’s with a case!

Associate
Is it easy to Solder ? My son has broken my harmony elite remote, so i opened it up and managed to fix it, but i musy have put one of the leads in the wrong way as i couldnt get it connected to i opened it up again and when ive taken the lead out the connector came off at the same time. My mam had a crappy soldering iton and ive tried to solder it back on but its still not working lol

Man of Honour
OP
Is it easy to Solder ? My son has broken my harmony elite remote, so i opened it up and managed to fix it, but i musy have put one of the leads in the wrong way as i couldnt get it connected to i opened it up again and when ive taken the lead out the connector came off at the same time. My mam had a crappy soldering iton and ive tried to solder it back on but its still not working lol

lets see some pics of the connector. Soldering in itself isn't hard but you do need flux and some idea what you are doing.

Associate
lets see some pics of the connector. Soldering in itself isn't hard but you do need flux and some idea what you are doing.
Il send pics when i get a chance, ive put it all back together to see if it works. So will have to take it apart again

Man of Honour
OP
Depends, how does it smell?

Unconfirmed at this point. wont smell fishy though. :cry: Got yours all boxed up and ready to go. Will bring it to London tomorrow. Stuck 6 batteries and sonic in my bag just in case you wanted to test it. Oh and look what I also bought:

An original yellow one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Handed over a GG to @NutritioN - Honestly dude I hope you have as much fun with it as I did repairing/modding it. Any issues at all you know exactly where to find me.

Nothing has arrived here today so another day without parts. Yellow switch sold is the only excitement today.

Expecting 3 switches and a GG this week.. I'm doing a little 2 GG vs 2 switch challenge.. 2 custom GG's and 2 one off switches... what makes the most cash? Will likely take a good month to know the outcome as that's how long parts from China take. The switches are a purple and blue clear with custom design thermal shields the GG's will be the yellow one and most likely a completely custom one where we replace the d pad with an analogue stick as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure I want all that fun you had. I'd like to think I'll be able to resurrect my 12 year muscle memory and 100% complete Sonic with all emeralds. See how long that takes me.

Man of Honour
OP
Not sure I want all that fun you had. I'd like to think I'll be able to resurrect my 12 year muscle memory and 100% complete Sonic with all emeralds. See how long that takes me.

Sonic on the GG is completely different to what I remember. There is like a forest level that doesn't exist on the mega drive version.

Associate

Heres a pic it looks terrible and i had no flux so just soldered without a scope as well so just by eye

https://postimg.cc/kV6j7xVx
20220221-205819.jpg

kV6j7xVx

Back
Top Bottom