Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Hey @Vince , hope you and the family are well mate.

Might have another patient for you if you have the time/head space, the boy's Switch has just started blue screening... Damnit!

edit - on closer inspection it's a HAC-001 so it's done pretty well, but would definitely like to save it if I could.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Hey @Vince , hope you and the family are well mate.

Might have another patient for you if you have the time/head space, the boy's Switch has just started blue screening... Damnit!

edit - on closer inspection it's a HAC-001 so it's done pretty well, but would definitely like to save it if I could.

yea send her my way :) You have my addy! Been slow this last week as im struggling like crazy with speech writing but ive been told that needs to be done by tomorrow so its time to just get on with it.

Switch been dropped or is it the dreaded flip chip issue and ill have to re-ball it?

yea send her my way :) You have my addy! Been slow this last week as im struggling like crazy with speech writing but ive been told that needs to be done by tomorrow so its time to just get on with it.

Switch been dropped or is it the dreaded flip chip issue and ill have to re-ball it?

It's been in the care of an 8 year old, and most recently his 5 year old brother and it was in transit to the grandparents this weekend so I suspect it's been dropped... has been working fine save for a slightly temperamental game cartridge slot but works eventually.

Will do, I'll get it packaged up and sent across to you this week.

Good luck with the speech, you'll always think of something else to add! :D

Man of Honour
OP
It's been in the care of an 8 year old, and most recently his 5 year old brother and it was in transit to the grandparents this weekend so I suspect it's been dropped... has been working fine save for a slightly temperamental game cartridge slot but works eventually.

Will do, I'll get it packaged up and sent across to you this week.

Good luck with the speech, you'll always think of something else to add! :D

Sounds about right - Do love a blue screen switch :cry: I also have approx 10 cart readers etc so ill fix that up for you!

Man of Honour
OP
@strumpusplunket - doesn't look great for your 1080ti I'm still poking it but I have all the main power rails running and it's either got a short on a memory module or the mem controller on the gpu core itself got zapped. I will run some software on it over the weekend to see if we can't pin down the fault. If its just a memory module we might be able to save it!!

If its the core we should see faults on all memory modules... I'll post some pics and screenshot to show you the process.

Man of Honour
OP
@Finners - yours is still in the queue mate. Its not shorted in any way and actually boots without display so I'm thinking I might be able to pin it down. Just need some time if you are cool with that.

Man of Honour
OP
I had a commission GG build for a dude in Canada which has been in the queue for a while so had to crack that out!

The normal affair, screen upgrade, led update, power etc etc.

Oh and I finished my speech... that's easily one of the hardest things I have ever had to write. Took me basically 5 days constantly thinking about it to get something I think I am happy enough with!! Cheers for all the messages and support gents much love to you all.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cheap soldering iron and a ton of flux on everything! First up I grabbed an mlcc cap kit and got to work... some pics below:

First up I recapped the power board:

Was that a new screen too or was it just the capacitors you replaced + new case?

Man of Honour
OP
Vince do you sell any Game Gear consoles that you've modded?

I do, I sell probably a couple a month and take on builds if you got a rotten one :)

So top two pics here are somebody's failed mod attempt that I rescued, vs my normal build

They even managed to rip the clock signal pad off of the asic

To be fair they didn't start with a nice one the thing is rotten but its been treated now and should work for another 10 years or more. All the jumpers down the left of the board are pushing 5v and ground to the circuit that powers the asic and supplying ground to the buttons as the ground is missing on the whole bottom half of the board.

Rule of thumb with the GG, if you can get sound out of it, it can be fixed.

Last edited:
Associate
@tim.stocks - Talk to me about your 3080...
Hi @Vince Its just as i said in my 1st post , cards been running ok accept for a hot spot in 4K wanted to rule out why we are getting the hot spot so decided to go back to air and when i took the water block of and fitted the stock fans etc the card wont display out of any port, the fans have lights and they come on so theres power there you can feel the card getting warm at the opposite end to the outputs, tried it on another psu new leads and in other pc still the same, i can send pics of card if needed but its like new.
Hope this helps a bit mate and let me no what you want to try next plz Vince..

Take care and thanks for the reply..

Cheers Tim

Soldato
@strumpusplunket - doesn't look great for your 1080ti I'm still poking it but I have all the main power rails running and it's either got a short on a memory module or the mem controller on the gpu core itself got zapped. I will run some software on it over the weekend to see if we can't pin down the fault. If its just a memory module we might be able to save it!!

If its the core we should see faults on all memory modules... I'll post some pics and screenshot to show you the process.

Thanks for the update and for all your efforts with it. I never really had high hopes, and it has been very interesting following the progress. Any other outcome is a bonus!

Hope you're doing okay.

Soldato
I do, I sell probably a couple a month and take on builds if you got a rotten one :)

So top two pics here are somebody's failed mod attempt that I rescued, vs my normal build

They even managed to rip the clock signal pad off of the asic

To be fair they didn't start with a nice one the thing is rotten but its been treated now and should work for another 10 years or more. All the jumpers down the left of the board are pushing 5v and ground to the circuit that powers the asic and supplying ground to the buttons as the ground is missing on the whole bottom half of the board.

Rule of thumb with the GG, if you can get sound out of it, it can be fixed.

Thanks Vince, I don't currently have a GG but interested in picking one up. Do you list on the MM or else where?

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks Vince, I don't currently have a GG but interested in picking one up. Do you list on the MM or else where?

I could list one on the MM if you are interested or if you have any specifics I could pick up one and build it to your specs :) I will warn you now.. they arent super cheap, a screen mod alone is nearly £50 in parts. picking up a faulty GG is like £40 so you are 90 in before any work... I normally sell at around the £140 mark, that goes up more if you want custom power, custom case, dpad analogue conversion etc etc...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom