Vintage PC Builds - Think 486 Era

Associate
There's just about every category in this site, but can't find a vintage section.

So when I say vintage I'm not talking about whole rooms that computers used to occupy, but think more 486 which is when I really started taking an interest in custom PC builds.

I've got 486 processors, motherboards, 30-pin and 72-pin simms, Windows 95 on floppy. What I'd like to do is do an old build using the best equipment that I can get a hold of in that era and maybe running a few BOINC projects on it.

Question is then, who would be interested in such a ramble? Not everyones cup of tea but I'm in the right place.

Caporegime
Is there much point? Computing was worse 20 years ago, and there are ways to scratch the application nostalgia itch without having to mess around with DIP switches and clutter your place up with old hardware.

Associate
OP
I do agree, it was messy and things didn't always work and you had to install dos, then windows, then drivers for just about every bit of hardware. Better off with an emulator? Still, thought it was worth asking the question. After all isn't it just easier to buy an xbox with a game you can just simply pop-in and play, rather than building a custom gaming rig? Technically yes, but which do you prefer?

Soldato
Do remeber multi autoexec.bat and config.sys. Trying eek out 2K more RAM changing mouse driver because just a tiny bit short, another mouse driver used less RAM. Another for printer and scanner.

Then more for expanded and extended memory. HIRAM.SYS and soundcard drivers.#
lol

Associate
OP
Sounds like you were in the game a little before me, although I do still remember mods to autoexec.bat in the Windows 3.0/3.1 days. Trying to get 3.1 on the Internet was a pain, 3.11 made it a little easier. Speaking of old sound cards I have an Creative AWE64 Gold in the loft, sitting next to an early PCI geforce.

Soldato
That was 640-1MB memory. Wing Commander, Ultima VII needed a bit of faffing around. First soundcard was 8 bit soundblaster

Was simpler with <512K era.

First PC was IBM XT 4.7mhz
another 8mhz
then 286 12mhz
then 386 16mhz
then 386 SX 25mhz
then 486DX 33
486 DX/2 66

monochorme monitor (green) CGA 4 colour, EVGA, VGA, SVGA etc. First HD was 10MB

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Some classic games there.

Still got quite a few oldies. Still remember loading the games in on the tapes at my mates then an hour or so later they may have loaded.

Started off with a BBC Acorn 32K, then...

286 @ 12 MHz - Windows 3.1
AST Premium II - 486DX33 with a 66MHz overdrive processor. This machine had 2 full length vesa cards with banks of memory totaling an insane 16MB ram.
Packard Bell - Pentium 50

...are the first few.

Caporegime
I really thought about this both for PC and Amiga but luckily I just played with emulators for a few hours and got over myself.
I have a mate that collects consoles and as cool as it was, I felt absolutely no geek urges to own them other than play on them all for 1 evening.

Associate
I'm currently putting together a 486 PC in a desktop AT case.

This was my last retro project i completed.

Pentium 200MMX
Gigabyte Intel TX Motherboard
64mb Ram
16mb PCI Voodoo Banshee GFX card
Yamaha OPL 3&4 ISA Soundcard alond with a Yamaha SW60XD Midi card.

Love playing games on this thing.

XFNgkXAl.jpg

Soldato
You get way better sound from the real thing than emulated, I use mine to play things like Jane's Longbow and other sims.
I run win98 on mine as 95's usb support is twitchy and getting drivers over can otherwise be a pita.

I've actually had this pc since the mid 90's when my dad bought it new for my schoolwork :)

Permabanned
Would go with something like a P133 for a retro rig as that was released before the dos era had come to an end but before the rise of dedicated 3d cards. Will have plenty of grunt to play demanding dos games like under a killing moon, screamer, wing commander 3/4, actua soccer etc.

Caporegime
NOPE.

Blody hell never again. I often look back upon those days with rose tinted goggles, until the reality of hardware conflicts, jumpers, crap / nonexistent drivers, constant failing kit and those goddamn mouse balls hit me. Never again.

Soldato
I hve X-Wing/Tie Fighter nostalgia every now and then but byt the time I've loaded it I relise what I really want is a remake with all the graphical bells and whistles so definitely no retro PC builds happening in this house. I had some great times with mates playing early LAN games like Doom and duke nukem in the 486 DX2 days but they are long gone!

Soldato
OP (and some others here) might find this channel interesting.
I found it once when I was bored and nostalgic looking for videos of old PC games. This guy reviews old games, but also does a lot of retro builds, looking back at vintage hardware...I guess if you're going to run a channel dedicated to old games, you need to keep old hardware in order to run it.

Take a look, some interesting projects and things on there: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLx053rWZxCiYWsBETgdKrQ

Associate
OP
Nice rig @cee-S-dee, looks in great condition. Nothing like a bit of beige, funny I did come across a company a while back who did the large ATX desktop cases. Think the retro look would suit a custom gaming rig, kind of like the wolf in sheeps clothing sort of thing.

Good shout @Conscript, will have to pick through that channel over a few lunch breaks.

With some mixed opinions, I've decided to give this build a go. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/486-project-gaming-machine.18788302/

Man of Honour
Would go with something like a P133 for a retro rig as that was released before the dos era had come to an end but before the rise of dedicated 3d cards. Will have plenty of grunt to play demanding dos games like under a killing moon, screamer, wing commander 3/4, actua soccer etc.
Matrox Mystique and 3DFX Voodoo 1. Joy and bliss and GLQuake. Really didn't like Unreal/Half Life though.

Back
Top Bottom