Vintage Workstation Case - Yeong Yang YY-W101

Associate
Hi,

I managed to find, in my opinion, one of the best vintage cases. The Yeong Yang W101, which, according to the case signature, is from 2001.

I think it was one of the few cases at that time that offered 120mm fan support, excellent airflow, cable management space, modular architecture and sufficient width to host 165mm coolers like Noctua NH-D15.

I will build my next retro build with this case.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, i found last Christmas this YY-W101 in really good conditions...
It can handle big cpu coolers and long VGA cards (up to 36.5 cm).
I need to build a Workstation for scientific simulations and machine learning.

Sure, I will post more pictures. I'm waiting for an AM4 board with advanced front panel capabilities (fan fail led, alert led / network led) as you noticed YY-W101 has server-style 4 front leds.
I found Supermicro, Tyan and Asrock-Rack boards, but unfortunately no AM4 board or TR4 board with all the features i need.
I think i will wait for DDR5 and USB4, as it seems this year we will see something new. I will also wait for a nVidia RTX titan replacement, as the current RTX 3090 is gimped to half-rate tensor operations.

What I like are the dimensions of the YY-W101: 44.5 cm (D) x 42 cm (H) x 21 cm (W). One of the most compact workstation case for 2001 and also today I think.

Here we have the original brochure:

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm actually getting a bit bored of cases at the moment, they are all starting to look the same, which is what happened to mobile phones. I have an Fractal Define R3 thats currenlty got a server in it, im seriously considering going back to it. I'm going to have some respraying done to my car and thinking of asking them to do the case at the same time

Associate
Nice. Post pics once you're finished :)

But A little disappointed, as I thought it was going to be the Yeong-Yang cube case :( I had to google it, but that is the YY-0221

http://www.procooling.com/index.php?func=articles&disp=107

I always thought the Globalwin YCC-61F1 / Akasa Eclipse / Savrow SR-71 would make a good retro case for a modern system, as it has plenty of airflow, large fans and is quite wide.

https://www.overclockers.com/global-win-ycc-61f1-server-case/

This thread has reminded me I still have a YY-0221B in the shed! Need to fish that thing out.

Back
Top Bottom