Virgin Media 1ghz - Powerline adaptors

Permabanned
Why do you need 1Gbit to a single PC?

At work we don't need a pipe that big for thousands of client PCs.

The same reason I and many have 1Gb/s from VM (sick of hearing this BS argument, Bill gates said something similar about Memory long ago).

Permabanned
No actually proves my point you are not too clever.

I will throw you a bone even though I am repeating myself, it allows me to get my files faster or more files at once or anything in between be that for a single PC or all my devices.

And do not come back with nonsense that "you cannot get that kind of speed from any sources" from X/Y/Z as I do.

Soldato
No actually proves my point you are not too clever.

I will throw you a bone even though I am repeating myself, it allows me to get my files faster or more files at once or anything in between be that for a single PC or all my devices.

And do not come back with nonsense that "you cannot get that kind of speed from any sources" from X/Y/Z as I do.

Well that's a bit mean. Luckily my University and current employers disagree, so I'll not lose any sleep over it.

You're not repeating yourself. These are all your previous posts on the thread :

Powerline adapters are Half Duplex so you are going to get a max Link Speed of 400mhz (not sure why it is not 433mhz ) not 866mhz in ideal conditions.

And yes your houses wiring (old vs new) has effect on speed so does extensions or surge protesters as your not supposed to plug into these.
The same reason I and many have 1Gb/s from VM (sick of hearing this BS argument, Bill gates said something similar about Memory long ago).

So some useful WiFi advice, calling BS without any proof and a roll eyes.

If you're doing large file transfers from a service than can supply full gigabit to your VM connection, then fine. 99.9% of people don't need that, or the backbone is congested.

Associate
Just remember "Powerline Adaptors" are a technology developed to make an electrical cable do something that in its own right its not designed to do. There for you have ZERO guarantee of connectivity or Throughput speed. Something as simple as the kettle being plugged in and the wall switch being off/on can have an impact of the overall circuit resistance etc, adding or removing a new device on the same circuit etc.

if you have that many devices upstairs that you want connected 3tvs 3 laptops and a pc then spend a couple hundred as people said on a Mesh network (or get Ethernet ports installed into each room)

Soldato
... and that reason is?

Not who you asked, but I have it because I download multiple TB a month from various sources (NNTP, P2P, FTP, RSYNC, SSH) - all of which are easily capable of saturating gigabit. It saves me time, and allows me to get on with working faster. I just wish it was symmetric as it'd save me hours on the upload. Also, the cable monkey jibe was a joke, in case that wasn't already abundantly clear.

Associate
OP
Ive moved my hub upstairs where the 2nd tv box is im getting 950mb and downloading at 120mb a sec.

So problem solved :) - Dont know why i didnt do that in the 1st place lol

Permabanned
Wow he does not half talk crap, "I go to or work in a UNI" < LOL, must be an expert then.

BTW I am wired to my PC, and I get my 1Gb/s 99.9% of the time and I did not actually advise anyone to use Power Adapters period never mind for 1Gb/s.

I did state in an ongoing conversion that they were Half Duplex, and I did answer a general question by the above BS spouter that I can use my 1Gb/s connection to its full and I never stated I was in the 99.9%.

I could get by on 500Mb/s or 350Mb/s but the price is not much more (good deal) and I get my files faster (as I already said) so not sure why he is sore about something that has nothing to do with him, the same if he had a 200MPH supercar and I had a Ford Ka.

Back
Top Bottom