Virgin Media 1ghz - Powerline adaptors

Associate
I have virgin media 1ghz
When im connected via lan from MB to Router i get 900mb to 1000mb
My pc is uptaris with my wife card i get about 300-400
I bought a powerline adpator that states can support up to 1ghz but at tops it was giving me 100MB which is worse than the wifi.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any better powerline adpators that have broken to support 1ghz?

Also does the wall socket have an impact at all? - Ive tried different ones all same speed result

Associate
OP
If you really need "1GHz" to the internet then run an ethernet cable.
I dont need it but id like to enjoy close to the benefit of it and wondering if there is a product that can get me there.

Are powerline apadators really that bad? i thought they were better than wifi cards?

Soldato
Ethernet is always the way to go if you can wire it in, OP.

Why do you need 1Gbit to a single PC?

At work we don't need a pipe that big for thousands of client PCs.

What a strange question. At work you probably aren't waiting for your Steam downloads, torrents, FTP or whatever to finish so you can carry on with what you're doing. Which, at work, is most likely web browsing, office stuff and email (and hence not very bandwidth sensitive). For other stuff, eg large file transfers, obviously your productivity would improve with faster speeds.

Why would the OP (or anyone else) not want it to work as quickly as possible? Do you throttle your home connection down to dial up speeds because Giles at Lowdown Farm manages to use that to run his entire dairy business? Or do you just take what you have and make use of it?

Soldato
It's a pertinent question, which is why I asked it.

A lot of people make the mistake of buying higher bandwidth when use cases are more latency sensitive. Faster doesn't generally equal lower latency.

Soldato
It's a pertinent question, which is why I asked it.

A lot of people make the mistake of buying higher bandwidth when use cases are more latency sensitive. Faster doesn't generally equal lower latency.

If the OP needed lower latency they'd still be best served by laying cable rather than relying on WiFi or powerline, so the problem's solved both ways. If you meant latency on the Internet, well they never asked anything about that. They just said they're paying for 1 gig and getting a tenth of that on non-wired devices.

OP, have you checked that the connection on the PC connected to the powerline is actually negotiating at 1Gbps? If your download speed is capped to under 100Mbps then it could be that it's not autonegotiating at 1Gbps (local connection speed, don't confuse that with your Internet speed from Virgin). Either way, as I said you'd be far better served just wiring up the house. It took me a very short time to drill out of the house from downstairs and into upstairs, run exterior grade solid copper core cat5e cable, install faceplates and wire everything up. A cheap gigabit switch at the end and you're good to go. I have severe arthritis and had never done anything like that before, so if I can do it anyone can. It's pretty easy.

Pet Northerner
Don
Its not for a single PC

Got 3 tvs, 3 kids, 3 ipads, 3 laptops, 1 pc bla bla

going back to your first post - powerlines are throttled by the quality / complexity of the power cables linking them. So even if you did manage to find any comparable gear, you may not get anywhere near full speeds.

as others have suggested, either a Wifi6 router (or better yet, a mesh) and a wifi6 wifi adapter would get you close to the 1Gb/s

Permabanned
Powerline adapters are Half Duplex so you are going to get a max Link Speed of 400mhz (not sure why it is not 433mhz ) not 866mhz in ideal conditions.

And yes your houses wiring (old vs new) has effect on speed so does extensions or surge protesters as your not supposed to plug into these.

Last edited:
Soldato
The absolute BEST powerlines on the market are Mikrotik Powerline Plus and they’ll get you 600Mbps maximum. There is nothing on the market that I’m aware of that will get you transfer across powerline. The last time I checked they were quite expensive (£108 for the pair). But they’re powerline and they’re decently rated.

Proper 4x4 WiFi6 will get you over 1Gbps but you need the right router/access point and the right Wi-Fi client or handheld. The Honor Router 3 is £50-£60 and is very good in my experience.

If it was me, I’d wait for something like the UniFi UAp6-Mesh to come out and go down that route. The Honor Router 3 is probably your cheapest first option.

Soldato
If the OP needed lower latency they'd still be best served by laying cable rather than relying on WiFi or powerline, so the problem's solved both ways. If you meant latency on the Internet, well they never asked anything about that. They just said they're paying for 1 gig and getting a tenth of that on non-wired devices.

I know, I do IT infrastructure for a living. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom