Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
no because im autistic and hate using phones + it will be some foreigner I can barely understand that might as well be on the moon with how terrible the quality will be.

thinking to just cancel it out right for awhile now

fyi - you can renegotiate entirely through text message on your mobile phone using the official Virgin Media text service:

+44 7533 051809

Ask to be put through to the retention team using text message.

That’s what i did, i didn’t talk to anyone on the phone.

Associate
I had PIA a couple years ago and speeds were awful for me. Switched to NordVPN afterwards and it's been a clear difference in quality. Also NordLynx acts almost as if i'm not on a VPN, and i'm on the 350Mbps package.

Have the odd issue when the network goes down, but they've been rare in recent years. Prices need looking at though....

Soldato
I had PIA a couple years ago and speeds were awful for me. Switched to NordVPN afterwards and it's been a clear difference in quality. Also NordLynx acts almost as if i'm not on a VPN, and i'm on the 350Mbps package.

Have the odd issue when the network goes down, but they've been rare in recent years. Prices need looking at though....

Any decent VPN provider will have hundreds of servers in (ideally) multiple locations in the UK, although many reasons exist to avoid PIA and Nord, neither should have any problem with any UK domestic customers speeds. That isn't to say you may be connected to a server that gets slower if its connected users increase bandwidth usage, or your ISP has crappy routing/peering or you use inappropriate protocols/ciphers, but xyz is slower than abc is too vague to be meaningfully useful with zero context.

Man of Honour
Although I don't use PIA heavily, I've never had an issue with it with VM. Don't forget to disable uPNP in the VM hub to stop any leaks as well.

Associate
Is there any advantage in getting the business package? maybe better support/contention ratio?

Better support/SLA for faults etc, definitely. From what I remember their business packages use identical infrastructure/setup to residential, bar a static IP, so I don't think you will get 'better' broadband by any metric.

Soldato
May finally be ditching VM after being a customer for over 10 years. The price has been creeping up and I've now decided to go Broadband only and diversify my TV viewing with some streaming services. Unfortunately, VM won't give me a good broadband only deal so I've started the leaving process.

Soldato
I'm sure you'll get a good price from retentions

Only if they actually call me back now, as the initial calls didn't yield what I wanted so I've actually triggered the disconnection notice period now.

I just want to ditch the TV and go broadband only and my max is £25 per month, which is the equivalent cost of a superfast fibre VDSL connection.

To be fair, Virgin's internet is very reliable and their router is good, plus the switching hassle. Maybe I would go to £27 per month.

By the time Ive added on PrimeTV, Im only saving around £15 a month but there are many more switching incentives available on landline broadband compared to Virgin which is a closed market. Taking into account these switching incentives, Im saving more like £22 per month.

Back
Top Bottom