1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, 7 Mar 2007.

1. koeiwong

Gangster

That is really good deal, I am paying around £50 for m350, mix tv and talk weekends. Currently on rolling contract as I still have discounted price till mid August but need to call them to get a new deal.

2. sandys

Wise Guy

Just switched to VM and had it installed today, is it something that will improve over time or is the latency I am seeing simply what it is.

So on Sky doing a test on fast.com I am seeing a latency of 2ms and 10m loaded/unloaded on VM I am seeing 12ms and 30ms for same tests and indeed when I jump on my work VPN in Germany instead of seeing 38-40ms I am seeing 54-60ms, it is a bit disappointing to be honest, anything I could look at to improve, sure the bandwidth is great around 660-750Mb which is superior to 156 I was getting but the important bit of any network is latency.

3. moogle

Mobster

Latency is crap, bandwidth is great. I didn't notice a difference just browsing the web when switching. VM's networks have never seemed to improve their congestion that much over the years.
    However you can haggle them down a lot which makes it worth it in the end if you don't need the better latency.

4. sandys

Wise Guy

Surprisingly it does feel better browsing than on Sky which I found odd, the latency is not the end of the world but does mean it is not exactly the best for gaming either.

5. ChrisD.

Caporegime

You had FTTP I presume, and went to VM? Why?!

6. sandys

Wise Guy

FTTC, copper for the last bit, it's been great, but couldn't get a good deal with Sky to keep the full package with them and could switch to VM and save 1.3k over the term, simple as that, in the process I get 4x bandwidth and better upload, just the Latency and VM interface the only downsides.

7. ChrisD.

Caporegime

You had 156 download or was that a typo?

8. sandys

Wise Guy

Yes 160/30 from sky via G.fast and it was more or less that the whole 18Months, nice, my line was 330 capable but Sky did not offer that step up, but I could get it from BT or TalkTalk etc.

VM is 660/45, so the upload not loads better, 4x to go along with bandwidth would have been nicer TBH but still.

I have both side by side at the mo

sky latency

[​IMG]

virgin

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jul 2021
  9. Shawreyboy

Wise Guy

Had VM 500 installed yesterday and at the Router on WiFi with the SH3 I am getting 512Mb down and 37Mb up. Quite happy with that.

10. Phemo

Soldato

I'm moving into a new house on the 30th and I'm planning on getting VM when I move. Can I order it now and not have it going live until the 30th? I know you can choose a day for kit delivery but not sure if they'll need to send anything to the house or if I'll get charged for anything in the meantime.

Don't really want to proceed too much with the order page since it does a hard credit check before I even get to dates etc which is annoying.

Last edited: 7 Jul 2021
  11. Duke

Man of Honour

Do you know if the property has VM cabled in already? If its only on the street but they've not taken it before then it'll require a physical visit to run the cable from the street to the property so you could then book that for a suitable day when you have the keys. If you get a self install kit (if they've had VM before) then I'm not sure if you can pick a date for that to arrive - might be worth giving them a call to check?

12. Phemo

Soldato

Definitely has VM already as quick start kit is an option. Previous owner has settled/moved their account too so nothing is outstanding. But I guess it's best I call them to see what they say.

13. shiver

Wise Guy

I managed to get the install arranged for the day after we moved in

14. shiver

Wise Guy

I've had a generally good experience with VM connections but getting in contact with them for anything does take the **** sometimes:

Received the above 12 minutes after submitting a complaint through the webform. Absolutely nobody contacted me or had a "chat"

15. Avalon

Soldato

Just Quidco it and book online, easy £130ish quid in your pocket and yes, you can book an install as long as the other party has a disconnection moved :)

16. Raz

Mobster

Is the SH4 worth it over SH3?

17. Avalon

Soldato

It’s not like you get a choice, if you are in a 3.1 area and taking Gig1, you get it, while they are being issued to people who have issues in congested 3.1 areas on lower packages, I don’t think they are standard issue yet.

18. Raz

Mobster

Got an email from virgin telling me I can get one for free

19. sandys

Wise Guy

I got one on my install last week.

20. Besty

Mobster

don’t assume the cabling install at your new place or, the kit inside the road cabinet is up
    to snuff.

In my last place i could get m600 speeds and it was pre wired for VM but the install engineer had to start again as all the bits weren’t up
    to snuff for m600 speeds and it took him
    a good couple of hours to do the install.