1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, 7 Mar 2007.

1. JamesM

Sgarrista

Update for this.

Phoned up VM sales, discussed with a lady there reducing my internet to 10mb if it saved me some money, she said that basically because I had a discount I'd end up paying £36 a month if I reduced my internet to 10mb. Slightly confused I said fair enough and ended the call.

10 mins later, I called up disconnections asking when my contract ended (I believed it to be April) and seeing how I give my 30 days notice. He asked the usual, why are you leaving, etc.. Ended up offering me the package I wanted for the £24 it was advertised on the website with no extra extension to my contract.

Why the first lady couldn't of done this I don't know and personally don't know where she got £36 from?!

Phone Line = £11
    Medium TV = £0
    10mb = £14

All comes to £25, not £36!

2. Psypher5

Sgarrista

if you get offers, get them noted in your account (they can write notes) and also, get an email with it in writing.

I've been screwed over by virgin reps saying diff things, and others not upholding offers etc.

3. Dangerous

Capodecina

General Configuration
    Network Access : Allowed
    Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
    Baseline Privacy : Enabled
    DOCSIS Mode : DOCSIS 3.0
    Config File : M6f3cd7fdbf9cd931.cm
    Primary Downstream Service Flow
    SFID : 7492
    Max Traffic Rate : 53000000 bps
    Max Traffic Burst : 10000 bytes
    Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
    Primary Upstream Service Flow
    SFID : 7491
    Max Traffic Rate : 1750000 bps
    Max Traffic Burst : 3044 bytes
    Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
    Max Concatenated Burst : 0 bytes
    Scheduling Type : Best Effort

4. fullspizz

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

50meg installed yesterday with D-Link router.

Got XXL BB, XLtv, XLphone, V+ and extra box. Also Sports and movies package for the princely sum of £64 amonth with no installation or activation fee:D
    (Good thing about having mates who work there)

5. Ur round next

Wise Guy

I would give me left arm to have the speeds you guys have

This is what i get living in the sticks in norfolk...:(

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Nov 2009
  6. SinaiSound

Mobster

Had 50mbit installed yesterday, but I can't seem to download at anything more than about 5500kB/s

This is with astraweb btw

Surely it should be faster?

7. Homer-Simpson

Wise Guy

50Mb = 6400kB. Are you using all 50 connections from astraweb?

8. Duke

Man of Honour

How are people finding 50mbit at the moment? Still some issues? Am tempted to phone up and see what they could offer.

9. BeeP

Wise Guy

Got mine instaled yesterday, so far it's been great. Getting 51/1.55 on speedtest.net.

The router seems quite good also, the the d-link 615 one & has Qos etc.....good for a chucked in bonus imho.

Even webpages like thetvdb load really quickly now, I always had a wait with that one.

10. magicroundabout

Mobster

i'm getting mine installed next friday. can't wait tbh after using sky for the past 18months @ 2.5mb :(

11. SinaiSound

Mobster

Using 20 connections as that's the max

12. JimAroo

Mobster

I'd jump on the 50mb bandwagon but I'm stuck in a contract. :(

Is there anyway I could upgrade despite being in a contract, would it be possible for them to just extended it or something?

No problems with contracts, been with VM for 5/6 years and not a problem, so I'm more than happy to take up another contract.

13. ssmacc

Mobster

I only get 5.95mB/s with Astraweb and 50mb, anyone get 6.4mB/s?
    (i say 'only' but its still very good)

14. Jabbs

Sgarrista

Max i have got so far is 6.2mb/s normally hovers around 6.1 on astraweb also.

15. Mysterae_

Wise Guy

Got a cold call from Virgin today, asking me to take on their phone. I already have the 10mb BB which I pay just under £19 for, this is the only service from Virgin I have. The price was a trial offer due to expire in 3 months.

But I'm stuck in a contract with BT for my phone, which I tell them. No problem sir, the phone will be free...the conversation goes on etc..

To cut a long story short I asked about their 50mb BB, mainly to speed up things like PlayStation Network downloads, streaming etc. Plus the wireless router they supplied (Netgear WNR2000) really is crap and was thinking of buying a better one. No need now as the 50mb comes with a new modem and router :). So, free installation, a one-off £20 'activation fee' then £39pm for 50mb BB, TV (won't use ever), phone (won't use atm), seems like a good deal.

I have high hopes of getting somewhere near the 50mb as I get about 9.6mb with my current 10mb package. I shall find out next month!

16. chris74

Wise Guy

Just had mine installed today but sadly I am on a sleepover at work and not back until tomorrow morning.

I had to phone the wife and get her to do some speed tests (fun and games). Apparently the engineer was in for over 2 hours and in that time he replaced the modem 3 times.

I only got 30mbps in speedtest but Astraweb was constantly moving between 44 and 48mbps which is odd as its speed is usually quite constant. Anyway I shall check it out tomorrow.

Is it quite normal for the speed to fluctuate like adsl in the beginning?.

17. w311zy

PermaBanned

try this for speedtests its much better than speedtest.net

HERE

18. Homer-Simpson

Wise Guy

It depends on which package you have. Some packages from them allow 50 connections and there are no issues hitting max speed with those 50 connections. :)

19. megatron

Mobster

[​IMG]

Server 10 miles away

20. HazardO

Underboss

I had virgin 50Mb service installed on Saturday, get 44Mb/1.6Mb to the speedtest London server. A steam download during Saturday evening averaged ~2MBps, which isn't bad, and a huge improvement over the average 450KBps I was getting. Overall I'm extremely impressed, especially as when I phoned BT ysterday to cancel my services (Phone, Upto8M option3, and BT vision), and discovered that Virgin had already canceled my Phone and BB, and that BT weren't trying to extract the last 2-3 months of my contract out of me (In fact they now owe me £150 - WIN).

Last edited: 9 Dec 2009