Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
I would assume anything you're told by a Virgin Media sales rep to be a lie. Get a price from Vodafone for leaving early and get it in writing from Virgin Media that they would cover it.

Vodafone's early termination charges are everything that you owe for the minimum contract term, but you don't pay VAT as there's no service actually being delivered

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/document/vfcon101364.pdf

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Well I finally binned off the Super Hub 3 and put it into modem mode. Now using a Netgear RX8000P and I must say it's a breath of fresh air.

No more dropped connections or problems connecting to the WiFi. TBF, you don't really realise how many devices are connected to the router until you take the time to look. The Super Hub seems to become flaky with any more than 10 concurrent connections. The RX8000P is good for up to 55 devices apparently.

Bit of peace and quiet now when everyone is slobbing it tomorrow night after too much eating and drinking. :D

Associate
Currently living with my parents and we are with plusnet internet provider on fibre package (70+mbit), we never had any single problem for many years!

I will be moving out to a new house soon and unfortunately, Plusnet fibre broadband is not available in that area. Checked with openreach as well.

I can get fast internet connection from Virgin only, more than 100mbit. How does virgin compare with plusnet in term of connection quality and reliability?

Associate
Well I finally binned off the Super Hub 3 and put it into modem mode. Now using a Netgear RX8000P and I must say it's a breath of fresh air.

Does enabling modem mode on the SH3 fully disable all radios?

Also thinking of using a separate router and I'm not getting great signal in some rooms. I remember reading a review on a Synology router a few years ago, it was expensive but looked very good. There may even be used examples about now.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
@OverDrive

I believe so, yes. Ideally you’d want to put your replacement router out in the open for best signal but I’ve tucked mine behind the TV and still get a better signal throughout the house.

But most importantly I’ve not had a signal issue or dropped connection since.

I can also block individual devices from WiFi access with a swipe of the finger which is handy when certain little people in the house should be fast asleep. :D

R3X

R3X

Soldato

No more dropped connections or problems connecting to the WiFi. TBF, you don't really realise how many devices are connected to the router until you take the time to look. The Super Hub seems to become flaky with any more than 10 concurrent connections. The RX8000P is good for up to 55 devices apparently.

Bit of peace and quiet now when everyone is slobbing it tomorrow night after too much eating and drinking. :D

This is baffling to hear this, I have spent a week testing the hub 3.0 in modem mode and now router mode and I found modem mode makes the latency/spike/drop off to increase even more, I tried it 40+ times so have seen this with my own eyes while under modem mode on the hub 3.0.

Router mode however fixes the issue. You are the 3rd person I have read today that has had the opposite experience to modem mode, cant explain it in the slightest bit !

HRL

HRL

Soldato
This is baffling to hear this, I have spent a week testing the hub 3.0 in modem mode and now router mode and I found modem mode makes the latency/spike/drop off to increase even more, I tried it 40+ times so have seen this with my own eyes while under modem mode on the hub 3.0.

Router mode however fixes the issue. You are the 3rd person I have read today that has had the opposite experience to modem mode, cant explain it in the slightest bit !

That is weird. What router have you been using when the SH3 is in modem mode?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
That is weird. What router have you been using when the SH3 is in modem mode?

I tried on Asus RT-AC86u, also a custom designed pfsense firewall system which is probably 10x more powerful then the AC86u and also direct from
Ethernet of router to PC, same issue on all 3 methods with modem mode.

I thought I was going mad and the only one with the issues, till I saw several others had the exact same issue :

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/My-350Mb-connection-is-throttled-to-10Mb/td-p/3953746

Its a long read but last 2-3 pages that chap who sounds like a engineer posted the cure was to switch to router only mode since modem mode is semi bridge only (basically half a mode so kinda faulty by design).

If you or anyone else has issues under modem mode you can always flick it back to router mode at least.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Faulty SH3 perhaps?

Hmm possible, but the guys on the thread had tried different hub 3s also and same problem persisted. But you know I have just installed a new hub so may give modem mode another shot ! The numbers are definitely not adding up if people are having success with modem only mode.

Associate
I've always used modem only mode on my SH3 and old SH1 without issues. I currently use the Netgear R8000 since that came out years ago and never had latency issues with the SH3 in modem only mode. When I have used the SH3 very briefly as a router latency wise it's been identical apart from the crappy wifi performance, but that's why I've always use my own routers.

Just wish they would hurry up and roll out gig1 around here :D

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Faulty SH3 perhaps?

Yup you were right, 2 faulty hub 3.0s in a row.....but 3rd times a charm, I can't believe it !

Guess when in doubt with issues its always best to check the hub or wiring or bad splitters, am going to get VM to double check the numbers just to be sure and re-check my cabling.

But for the most part feels all is getting back to normal, still reckon hub 2.0 was better !

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I've always used modem only mode on my SH3 and old SH1 without issues. I currently use the Netgear R8000 since that came out years ago and never had latency issues with the SH3 in modem only mode. When I have used the SH3 very briefly as a router latency wise it's been identical apart from the crappy wifi performance, but that's why I've always use my own routers.

Just wish they would hurry up and roll out gig1 around here :D

Good to hear modem only mode is fine, I was thinking it can't just be me anyhow 3rd modem is working better. I think VM did say 1gig will be with all customers by 2021 so we may not be waiting for that long.

And then we can enjoy the Hub 4 which has a Fan inside which makes a nice whirring noise while you sleep :)

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Yup you were right, 2 faulty hub 3.0s in a row.....but 3rd times a charm, I can't believe it !

Guess when in doubt with issues its always best to check the hub or wiring or bad splitters, am going to get VM to double check the numbers just to be sure and re-check my cabling.

But for the most part feels all is getting back to normal, still reckon hub 2.0 was better !

Sadly I can. They’re made as cheaply as possible and it shows.

Glad you’ve got it sorted though. :D

Soldato
Hi All,

Another person here in review period, I'm currently with BT and had eyed up Vodafone for a move (45mb on FTTC).

However, I have learnt I can get the Virgin M350 - question is, is it any good? do they traffic management? It was the original reason why I left Virgin years ago. My streaming days are long behind me, however I still like decent gaming performance (FPS games) at these times of nights.

Any advice / guidance is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I noticed pretty poor performance but it was peak times around 4-5ish to 10ish but I already have my own issues so could be unrelated seemed to be better after 10pm though.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Hi All,

Another person here in review period, I'm currently with BT and had eyed up Vodafone for a move (45mb on FTTC).

However, I have learnt I can get the Virgin M350 - question is, is it any good? do they traffic management? It was the original reason why I left Virgin years ago. My streaming days are long behind me, however I still like decent gaming performance (FPS games) at these times of nights.

Any advice / guidance is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

I had no idea VM had dropped traffic management completely summer 2018

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-broadband-traffic-management-policy

https://assets.virginmedia.com/help..._Management_Key_Facts_Indicator_Unlimited.pdf

I could have sworn VM felt more slower during peak times in evenings and holiday periods but the above says otherwise !

Back
Top Bottom