Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Retentions don’t routinely look at your usage, they are incentivised you retain you regardless of usage.

Think how much time they could save if they proactively told customers when they would be doing maintenance, or at least told the call centre staff so they knew not to book unnecessary engineer visits.

They’ve done that for the last 20+ years, a set number of faults logged in a pre-defined timescale triggers an outage warning when you enter the account, same with network faults/upgrades. Planned outages were usually communicated via email to staff and by email/letter to customers, sadly not everyone reads everything and people waste truck rolls on pointless visits.

Soldato
Retentions don’t routinely look at your usage, they are incentivised you retain you regardless of usage.

Well they havent in my case! It's just under a week until I am disconnected and no one has contacted me to offer me a deal to stay. I knew it! They've called my bluff lol!

So I may have to ring up today to ask if there's anything they will do, or last resort, accept the slightly better deal they originally offered when I called to cancel.

Caporegime
Soldato
Well they havent in my case! It's just under a week until I am disconnected and no one has contacted me to offer me a deal to stay. I knew it! They've called my bluff lol!

So I may have to ring up today to ask if there's anything they will do, or last resort, accept the slightly better deal they originally offered when I called to cancel.

As stated previously the type of offer made will depend on you as a client - what services do you have, complaints/faults logged, payment history etc. and to a lesser extent the point in the month, the agents remaining budget for the month, the save rate they have achieved etc. I’m not suggesting anyone falls into any particular category, but as you can imagine it’s less desirable to retain a customer who has TV/Broadband and has never paid a bill in his/her life on time and constantly complains about the shade of red used in the literature than it is to retain a customer who pays three figures for quad play service and has perfect payment history, but you can see probably needs a box upgrade as he’s had 3 trouble calls booked for a reset in the last few months. Broadband usage is largely irrelevant except in the period where VM threatened to disconnect (very) heavy users and throttled.

It’s also possible you won’t get called back, or that they may call and not reach you, if for example you haven’t answered or haven’t got a current contact number on the account, or they just aren’t able to work every account, this is the risk you take when booking a disconnection, it can and does backfire for a minority.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well after nearly 7 years of stellar service from VM, I am now considering moving, for the last three weeks we have had a really poor connection and I'm talking 0.25Mb/s (we pay for and have had 200Mb/s or better Maxed at 268Mb/s not that long ago) upload has been unaffected stayed at 20-24Mb/s but download has been laughable. Unless I run a speed test via Speedtest.net the first one will be low on the download really low, the second time I run it BOOM 200+Mb/s. Its like night and day, its like rate switching is not instant (so low usage during the day the pipe can be shared between other users). Anyone ever experienced anything similar?

I've tried talking to VM as I have always done in the past (I set up the account when we moved in, in my wife's name as I had credit issues in the past), but now then require only to speak with my wife! Even though I am the named contact on the account and have given the correct password, the refuse to do anything or even to talk with me!!

So frustrated right now, MY wife works all day as do I and 9/10 we are never around when VM's phone lines are open!

Soldato
Well after nearly 7 years of stellar service from VM, I am now considering moving, for the last three weeks we have had a really poor connection and I'm talking 0.25Mb/s (we pay for and have had 200Mb/s or better Maxed at 268Mb/s not that long ago) upload has been unaffected stayed at 20-24Mb/s but download has been laughable. Unless I run a speed test via Speedtest.net the first one will be low on the download really low, the second time I run it BOOM 200+Mb/s. Its like night and day, its like rate switching is not instant (so low usage during the day the pipe can be shared between other users). Anyone ever experienced anything similar?

I've tried talking to VM as I have always done in the past (I set up the account when we moved in, in my wife's name as I had credit issues in the past), but now then require only to speak with my wife! Even though I am the named contact on the account and have given the correct password, the refuse to do anything or even to talk with me!!

So frustrated right now, MY wife works all day as do I and 9/10 we are never around when VM's phone lines are open!

Bit over dramatic, reach out to them on the community page where they will link you to a very helpful live chat who will arrange a visit.

Soldato
Bit over dramatic, reach out to them on the community page where they will link you to a very helpful live chat who will arrange a visit.
I have done both, the Mobile app is a complete waste of time, took 3 attempts to get a reply and even that was a day later. Bring back the NTL and Blueyonder days (yes I've been a customer that long) at least then you got an answer from a UK call centre even if it did take an hour of being on hold! I am just frustrated I will have to spend a portion of my day on Sunday (as my wife and I have some free time together for a change) dealing with this that could have been sorted weeks ago.

Soldato

That really doesn’t add up. They can deal with a fault report from anyone, they don’t need to have the password, be named as being able to deal with the account or pass DPA, but it makes it a lot easier for everyone involved if they can/do, oh and faults are 24/7.

Soldato
That really doesn’t add up. They can deal with a fault report from anyone, they don’t need to have the password, be named as being able to deal with the account or pass DPA, but it makes it a lot easier for everyone involved if they can/do, oh and faults are 24/7.

Yep I agree, nothing about this makes any sense, they refuse to speak to me until the wife is able to confirm she is available to speak to them, started quoting GDPR regulations at me that had nothing to do with the account or account security, like the completely didn't have a clue what they were doing!

Soldato
Yep I agree, nothing about this makes any sense, they refuse to speak to me until the wife is able to confirm she is available to speak to them, started quoting GDPR regulations at me that had nothing to do with the account or account security, like the completely didn't have a clue what they were doing!

The only point they would need to speak to the account holder is if they are making a significant change to the account, eg changing the directory listing type (Listed, ex directory or NQR), adding a service or disconnecting a service. The broadband team will have restrictions on things like resetting passwords etc. but nothing that should prevent them speaking to you to investigate a potential fault. Having spent more hours than I care to remember dealing with OFCOM auditors - DPA is not intended to be used as justification/barrier to prevent legitimate access.

Soldato
The only point they would need to speak to the account holder is if they are making a significant change to the account, eg changing the directory listing type (Listed, ex directory or NQR), adding a service or disconnecting a service. The broadband team will have restrictions on things like resetting passwords etc. but nothing that should prevent them speaking to you to investigate a potential fault. Having spent more hours than I care to remember dealing with OFCOM auditors - DPA is not intended to be used as justification/barrier to prevent legitimate access.
I completely agree, and I did explain this to the last agent I spoke with but she was adamant that she had to speak with my wife!

Soldato
Your doing this wrong

phone up as your wife when they question it ask them if they just assumed your gender threaten legal action and contacting daily mail. Suddenly your fault it dealt with instantly

Soldato
Your doing this wrong

phone up as your wife when they question it ask them if they just assumed your gender threaten legal action and contacting daily mail. Suddenly your fault it dealt with instantly

To be fair this was my next thought if I was unable to get the wife on the phone!

Soldato
To be fair this was my next thought if I was unable to get the wife on the phone!

Strangely enough people have been trying this for decades, with previous notes on the account already stating that they haven’t dealt with you for whatever reason it’s unlikely to go well and less to extended DPA on every call. Call broadband faults and get it dealt with properly, if it’s not being dealt with, ask to log a complaint - they have to accept those from anyone, even non customers as it’s part of the licence requirements from OFCOM.

Back
Top Bottom