Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Just rang up to try and get the same internet deal as a new customer after being with them for seven years and out of contract for over two.

They wanted £5 more a month than a new customer for the same deal, which is £10 more than sky. The guy was pretty rude and not willing to budge to keep me.

Contract cancelled, which is a shame because I have always had a hassle free service. But the fact they don't reward loyalty really annoyed me.

Associate
Ok thanks, well I still have a basic multiroom Sky Q package as the wife likes the OS for recording etc.
I am paying around £60 for that - plus another £60 for VM
May cancel Sky and see what bundle VM will do me

Associate
I currently have the M350 package - where can I check if the 1gb connection is available at my property?

Just upgraded to the M350 package (was on 150) online was only an extra £4-£5 a month on a 1 month contract so decided to upgrade, saying the order to upgrade is delayed due to Covid 19, did you notice much of a performance upgrade when moving to M350?

Which Hub is everyone using? looks like I’m still on the hub 2, is it worth asking for a new one, I have sky Q and there has been an issue lately with disconnects so maybe my hub is Faulty?

Soldato
hub2.5. They sent me the hub3 but I dug out a hub2.5 to avoid the packet loss and latency spikes. Do not surrender your hub 2 under any circumstances!

But post above is correct, to get >200mbs you need hub3. I'd rather have 200 and stability though.

Soldato
hub2.5. They sent me the hub3 but I dug out a hub2.5 to avoid the packet loss and latency spikes. Do not surrender your hub 2 under any circumstances!

But post above is correct, to get >200mbs you need hub3. I'd rather have 200 and stability though.

Hub3 here , no issues and I play mp games without issues, but I do have it in modem mode and use my own router.

Soldato
Virgin were moving their MVNO to Vodafone anyway, I think

Virgin were due to move their mobile customers to Vodafone from 2021.

Again? Didn't they used to be Vodafone before they switched to EE? We have an unlimited SIM with them and EE reception is great with crystal clear calls. Three and O2 are awful around these parts, so hopefully any merger doesn't see them moving to O2 for their backend, but I can't see why they wouldn't given they're then the same company.

Soldato
tried our hub3 in modem mode but lots of issues with drop-outs. It became particularly noticeable with things that needed permanent connection like echo with Alexa etc. Constant crap-outs. lag and stutter for no obvious reason etc. Everything is just much more stable with hub2.

Associate
tried our hub3 in modem mode but lots of issues with drop-outs. It became particularly noticeable with things that needed permanent connection like echo with Alexa etc. Constant crap-outs. lag and stutter for no obvious reason etc. Everything is just much more stable with hub2.

Interesting, I tried my SH3 in modem mode over the last week and had the same problem - I was using a really good Asus router and was convinced it must be a problem at Virgin's end. Switched back to modem /router mode and the issues cleared up. The latency spikes aren't terrible but I wonder why the SH3 could be so bad in modem mode?

Soldato
Interesting, I tried my SH3 in modem mode over the last week and had the same problem - I was using a really good Asus router and was convinced it must be a problem at Virgin's end. Switched back to modem /router mode and the issues cleared up. The latency spikes aren't terrible but I wonder why the SH3 could be so bad in modem mode?
Putting the SH3 in modem mode didn't fix the intrinsic problem that was originally in the SH3 with the Puma chipset. It was there in both modem mode and standard mode.

The issue you might have is that you will notice that your IPv4 address will change when you go from modem only mode to standard mode so yours could be a routing problem.

Associate
Sorry if I'm being too lazy to read earlier comments, but is anyone else experiencing speed caps during the night?

I am on 350M and for the last few nights it seems I'm being throttled down to 100M.

Question. Does anyone just have 100 or 200mb with no TV or phone? Just wondering what you're paying?

I'm debating dropping down from 350mb and with the saving getting an FTTC line as a backup, as VM is dog-egg bad for gaming. This way can run multi-WAN and use policy based routing for gaming, and keep the VM for the family who are less fussed about latency. Plus added advantage of a backup connection the next time VM goes down.

Back
Top Bottom