1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, Mar 7, 2007.

1. xb8browney

Soldato

No, I'm seeing great speeds.

2. randal

Capodecina

Question. Does anyone just have 100 or 200mb with no TV or phone? Just wondering what you're paying?

I'm debating dropping down from 350mb and with the saving getting an FTTC line as a backup, as VM is dog-egg bad for gaming. This way can run multi-WAN and use policy based routing for gaming, and keep the VM for the family who are less fussed about latency. Plus added advantage of a backup connection the next time VM goes down.

3. ik9000

Gangster

yes - and the answer is far too much. It was reasonable a while back but three years of massive price hikes and I'm forked. They are supposed to be able to price adjust for RPI but these have far exceeded RPI - 10%+ per year is more common. It's a joke.

4. spoffle

Capodecina

A poor gaming experience is exactly why I left Virgin. I was contemplating getting an additional FTTC connection just for gaming because it was that bad. Fortunately Openreach had started installing fibre on my road, and Virgin were putting their prices up. So I left penalty free and went with BT. It's been a much better more stable service for gaming, and my ping dropped by about 30ms pretty much all over.

Check the Openreach build map to see when or if they might be working in your area.

5. chroniclard

Capodecina

Seems random if you actually get issues. Totally fine for gaming, and everything else, for me.

6. randal

Capodecina

No such luck around our way @spoffle. It's VM if you want speeds greater than 40mb. Our exchange is prehistoric, no gfast, no FTTP.

7. Soulja

Capodecina

Is VM really that bad for gaming? They have just finished installing their cables on my street and i am very tempted to sign up with them but not if it's going to have a detrimental affect on my gaming and increasing my latency.

8. ik9000

Gangster

if you can get FTTP from someone don't go virgin! In my area it's VM or adsl so nothing I can do but suck up the price rises

9. lltfdaniel

Wise Guy

Well regarding pings with my first hand experience, when i was with virgin media cable fiber i had pings at best like 40-50ms ish, and left them because of the ping for gaming that is and went with zen and now i get like 10-20ms which is better.

Also zen don't hike their prices up unlike virgin media plus there customer service is good enough for my liking.

But i do miss somewhat the download speed of virgin but am not too bothered about it.

10. randal

Capodecina

[​IMG]

That's the last 24 hours.

11. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

I'm in the same boat, I get 10ms ping at the moment on a gfast connection. Triple the speed would be nice but not at the cost of tripled latency!

12. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

As always, it depends on your area. Here's mine for comparison:
    [​IMG]

The ping spikes around mid afternoon are just me uploading a ton of data to my offsite backup (out of band backup, they're normally scheduled for overnight). My lad games all bloody day long and he's never had a single issue. Good local networking equipment helps.

13. Cooper

Mobster

Just had a leaflet from Cityfibre drop through my letterbox saying they are about to come and install a full 1000Gbps fibre to the home connections in my street!

Which is interesting because the cable company left out my street when the fibre network was being laid on the estate 20yrs ago because we are an isolated cul de sac, which was later taken over by Virgin Media.

I used to have the 200Mbit Virgin fibre connection in my old address and have really missed it and was quite annoyed to find out it wasn't available at my current address despite the post code checker saying it was.

14. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

Lucky boy. I'd give body parts for FTTP. If it wasn't for having a family I'd be living in Scandanavia or Iceland by now with 10Gb fibre for £30 a month.

15. Cirrusflyer150

Associate

Got a text message today, it implies that an installer has to come into the house to perform the ‘upgrade’ I assumed from the email that they would just send the new hub by courier or something? I’m guessing they will have to manually install the new hub and then attempt to take away the old 2.0 hub? It’s their property so they can i guess, some reviews online suggest the hub 3 has been firmware updated so maybe it’s ok.

will see how I get on with the hub 3 since it’s needed for 350 and if it’s bad then go for a separate router With the hub in modem mode

anyone managed to get the new 4.0 hub?

16. father-ted

Hitman

The performance you get from VM is the same as the other providers - pot luck.
    If the area is provided by a poor network, or you are using poor quality equipment - then you will likely have problems.
    I wouldnt let another persons problems put you off - try and get some feedback from others in your area using their service (better than some random off the internet living 300 miles away).

I have been happy with my VM speeds and my ping when gaming is low, so cant complain.
    Expensive though, but I cannot get FTTP yet - annoyingly they get it 1 mile from where I live.....so maybe soon (I hope)

17. Duke

Man of Honour

As above, it'll depend on your local area, I've had very few issues with them personally.

I think you only get that on the 1GB and/or 500MB service at the moment.

18. xb8browney

Soldato

Any news on m500/M1000 as broadband only?

19. Captain

Capodecina

No issues at all here on VM, gigabit connection, have around 10ms ping in games.

20. Captain

Capodecina

I have BB only and I’m paying for a gigabit connection.

Think the M500 is still linked to a TiVo package.