1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, Mar 7, 2007.

1. TNA

Capodecina

It is not the same line I don't think.

2. the-evaluator

Wise Guy

Correct, it's a different line.

3. TNA

Capodecina

Thought so. One was built with public money back in the day, the other is completely private is my understanding.

4. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

As above, you can have both lines active at the same time. I know a few people who keep a cheap FTTC connection going as a backup alongside their Virgin Media connection.

5. Steampunk

Sgarrista

It's not the same line. Virgin have their own networks, their own lines and boxes down your street and into your house. It's made of different cables and operates differently from BT, (and all the companies that operate over Openreach's ex-BT infrastructure).

6. Spacedeck

Mobster

Is anyone having issues with web pages taking a while to load? Started this morning and I've flushed my DNS but hasn't solved it, restarted modem, restarted PC, tried Google's DNS... not sure if it's something my end or their end. Even though connected to the internet, Spotify is failing to connect, Discord took a while to load.

EDIT: appears it was being caused by some Windows update that was sitting there. After downloading, installing and restarting everything seems alright.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  7. Temi_D

Wise Guy

Ahh! I didn't realise that!

8. Marky

Capodecina

@ik9000
    For anyone that's interested how this turned out...

I got a call yesterday from Virgin Media, and I've gone with their offer of £36.00 for 350Mb Broadband. Saving myself £20 a month and getting an upgrade to 350Mb! Pretty happy with that :)

9. ik9000

Gangster

Thanks. Out of interest, in your area if you had to switch to another provider, what are your options?

10. Marky

Capodecina

I should think this is likely where we differ - I'm fortunate enough to have the selection of any of the big providers.

11. russ9898

Wise Guy

I had the same issue, virgin appear to be throttling on port 553. Change to an alternate SSL port and your speeds should increase.

12. xb8browney

Soldato

I moved Usenet provider instead

13. russ9898

Wise Guy

Likewise, then realised I still had speed issues so had to play around with the ports.

14. Zenduri

Soldato

Anyone else come across this before?

I had a old 2.0 Hub for the last 7 years and recently the wifi network just vanished randomly once a day, so i rang VM up, they "checked eveything" and it was apparently ok, a few days later the wifi network was still vanishing (wired connection was 100% fine all the time) so i rang them up again and they sent me the 3.0 Hub.

Ever since I connected up the 3.0 HUb, no connection issues at all and the wifi problem is resolved but now the connection drops and has issues reconnecting EVERY night at about 12:20- 12:40am. I've tried restarting the router right before the 12:20 drop out and this only seems to delay the drop for 20 mins before lo and behold it drops the internet connection. It's literally like clockwork, every night as 12:20am the internet drops out.

Anyone experienced this or have any idea whats going on as VM dont seem to have a clue

15. tom_nieto

Capodecina

I'm increasingly frustrated with poor wifi performance with the Hub 3.0. Virgin always try to pin out problems on internet connectivity, but when devices such as the harmony remote and wifi connected TVs aren't functioning as they should that points to a routing issue. I don't think there's much point in banging the drum any more with VM, as I'm not sure that changing the router will help much.

I'm considering putting the Hub 3.0 into modem mode and buying a new router. Any tips/suggestions for this? Don't want to spend a fortune on solving an irritation, but for example I'm getting issues connecting to my NAS which is hard wired to the Hub which is causing issue with file backup.

For example, is it worth buying this and seeing if it makes a difference? Is this just replacing junk with junk?
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-link-archer-a5-ac1200-wireless-dual-band-router-nw-213-tp.html

Last edited: May 26, 2020 at 4:06 PM
  16. Marky

Capodecina

Anyone had their Virgin Internet upgraded here?

I was told I would recieve an email today about the upgrade, but I haven't done.

Just wondering when I can expect the upgrade - I suspect it will be 1st of June as that is when I am billed.

17. xb8browney

Soldato

What upgrade

18. Duke

Man of Honour

A paid for upgrade on your package or a free speed bump? The latter is due soon (its been mentioned on ispreview) but not heard anything concrete yet.

19. Marky

Capodecina

Sorry, should have explained. I called them up for a better price and I am moving from 100Mb to 350Mb.

20. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

It can take up to 24 hours, but you can (sometimes) power off the SH for a minute or two, and force it to pick up the new config when it powers back on. Usually it's just a case of waiting for the change to take place at VM's end though.