Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Edit: I've just tried fast.com and I get 11ms unloaded and 136ms loaded, I assume loaded is going to be the more accurate latency in games? What's the best way to reduce that?

Don't pay too much attention to fast.com. It has a habit of giving wildly inaccurate results. This for example:
Faksxfo.png

It's impossible for my internet connection to be 2.1Gbps. I'm on the BT Full Fibre 900 package and my router WAN and LAN ports are 1Gbps. Good luck getting 2.1Gbps through there.

Caporegime
Well I'm going to give Virgin a go for a year alongside my g.fast connection.

I've ordered through a direct referal, 350mb + Basic TV + 5GB sim + landline. £38.99 a month but you then cancel it saying you've changed your mind, then contact the person you spoke to through the referal and they reactivate it with a £10 rolling credit on your account every month so it works out £28.99. £50 credit also and my dad is giving me £7 a month for the sim card so cheap as chips really.

Soldato

I've ordered through a direct referal, 350mb + Basic TV + 5GB sim + landline. £38.99 a month but you then cancel it saying you've changed your mind, then contact the person you spoke to through the referal and they reactivate it with a £10 rolling credit on your account every month so it works out £28.99. £50 credit also and my dad is giving me £7 a month for the sim card so cheap as chips really.

WOW - thats amazing. I am getting stuffed by Virgin !

Associate
Hi all.

This might sound daft, we had a previous Virgin Install when it was Tivo, with a Tivo Box downstairs, and a virgin co-ax going up to the bedroom above the sitting room.

Now we changed all that years ago, all old kit went and it became a single V6 box downstairs with M350 internet, we use the router in Modem mode with an Asus Router, happy as I get 360mbps plus upstairs on the wifi network.

But now I am wanting a sim card, and adding that puts me in Ultimate Oomph pricing thereabouts, I see little point getting a sim if a few quid more ups it to 512mbps and a second V6 box as the Oomph bundles has a free sim?

So the question, the old Tivo Co-Ax cable is hardwired and still available upstairs with the original connection for that Tivo we had before V6. Can that cable be utilised for a self install of the Oomph bundle as we only need the second box fitted? With lockdown and such self install would be so much more convenient as I work 12h a day 5 days a week with Monday my only free day to get things done.

Associate
I did think about having cable run into the room, but I honestly would have no idea where/how to start on doing that??
I would only need 2 connections in one room (office) on the first floor. If it's pretty easy, do you have any particular link/tutorial on how to do it?
One thing we wouldn't be able to do without checking is drilling into the ceiling, as it's textured (1960s build), and don't know if it has asbestos fibres.

Just done this myself, rather than do lots of wall/ceiling destruction I've took a longer, but slightly easier route for my CAT6 cable. From my router which is in my livingroom underneath my TV along the skirt and then underneath 2 sets of stairs carpet to my office on the second floor. 30 meter run, works great really pleased with the result over Wifi/powerline etc.

I opted for a flat cable this made life SO much easier!

Soldato
The latest rumours are that the 500mb bundled tier is about to change, everyone currently on this tier will be upgraded to 600mb. Secondly, a new standalone 500mb tier will be introduced.

It annoys me that you have to sign up to TV and possibly phone packages to get the best speeds.

Anyway, here’s the HP.

Soldato
Just done this myself, rather than do lots of wall/ceiling destruction I've took a longer, but slightly easier route for my CAT6 cable. From my router which is in my livingroom underneath my TV along the skirt and then underneath 2 sets of stairs carpet to my office on the second floor. 30 meter run, works great really pleased with the result over Wifi/powerline etc.

I opted for a flat cable this made life SO much easier!

That's a good option actually seeing as I only need it in one room. What cable did you go for?

------------------------

Question for those on 300Mb, or above. Just curious, what do you do/download that warrants having such a high download speed?

Man of Honour
The latest rumours are that the 500mb bundled tier is about to change, everyone currently on this tier will be upgraded to 600mb. Secondly, a new standalone 500mb tier will be introduced.

It annoys me that you have to sign up to TV and possibly phone packages to get the best speeds.

Anyway, here’s the HP.
Worth quoting the page so more see this news :)

Cable and full fibre ISP Virgin Media UK could be about to make a number of significant service changes for July 2020, such as making their existing 516Mbps (36Mbps upload) broadband bundle available to non-TV (standalone) customers and then boosting their TV Oomph plan to a top download of 600Mbps!

At present nearly all of Virgin Media’s customers – both via the operator’s Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) and Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) based networks – are still covered by their existing EuroDOCSIS 3.0 platform (i.e. the communication standard for cable networks) and this currently offers a maximum tier of 516Mbps (i.e. max profile speed of 575Mbps download and 38.5Mbps upload) via their old HUB 3.0 router.

On top of that the operator is also rapidly deploying a new DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade which, using the new HUB 4.0 router, will make 1Gbps (50Mbps upload) speeds available across their entire network by the end of 2021 (latest roll-out update). But in the meantime the best that most subscribers can get is still their 516Mbps plan that has so far only been available alongside their TV bundles (Oomph).

However feedback from existing customers and other sources have enabled ISPreview.co.uk to uncover two imminent changes. Firstly, the 516Mbps plan will no longer be “exclusive” to their TV bundles and can soon be purchased as a normal broadband package. Secondly, the 516Mbps Oomph TV bundle will at the same time be upgraded for free to offer 600Mbps (probably with the same upload as before) – you won’t be able to get this speed without TV (most likely to keep Oomph subscribers happy, given what they pay).

NOTE: The c.600Mbps plan will work over VM’s existing EuroDOCSIS 3.0 network and thus HUB 3.0 router, although the HUB 4.0 is starting to see wider distribution (here).
The changes are expected to be announced at some point around the end of this month or perhaps during July. At the same time Virgin Media will probably make a few other changes to their packages, such as possibly switching from 12 to 18 month contract terms (minimum terms do change from time-to-time, at all ISPs) and removing the install cost of a v6 / TiVo TV service etc. But we don’t know for certain if those will occur at the same time.

We should point out that, based on past experience, speed boosts for existing customers usually take a few months to complete (i.e. we wouldn’t be surprised if this took until around the end of 2020 to finish). We did ask Virgin Media to comment on all this but no reply had been received by the end of play yesterday.
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...o-launch-surprise-600mbps-broadband-tier.html

Associate
That's a good option actually seeing as I only need it in one room. What cable did you go for?

------------------------

Question for those on 300Mb, or above. Just curious, what do you do/download that warrants having such a high download speed?

It was from a well known forest like store :)

"GLCON CAT6 Ethernet Cable 30m Long High Speed"

Soldato

Anyway, here’s the HP.

That would explain why someone on here a few pages back said they were offered either £34 for 350mb or £42 for 500mb standalone if they renewed. Not sure on exact prices but something like that and don't have time to search :p

Soldato

I’m sure the person risking his/her job for the commission on that and potential recovery/prosecution really appreciates you posting that on a public forum. Before you say it will never happen, I worked with people at VM who it happened to.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm
100mb+phone
£51.50

Contract probably ran out 6 years ago, think I will get rid of the phone that doesn't work anyway and drop down to whatever the slowest broadband is or just cancel and look elsewhere
What you want can be had for about £25 on uswitch last I checked. Just cancel, and sign up with your partners name if they do not offer you anything under £30.

Soldato
Much like anything on contract, I always phone up once the year is up and and get the best deal going, on 100Mb + phone for £25 at the moment, if they can't match 'new customer' prices, then I'll go elsewhere for the year (unless they then phone back offering a good deal).

It was from a well known forest like store :)

"GLCON CAT6 Ethernet Cable 30m Long High Speed"

Thanks. I noticed there's a CAT7 cable for £5 more, any reason not to go for it?

Soldato
Just phoned up to do the cancellation dance with them. On 200Mb was paying around £32 and then £35 since January. They offered £38 for 200Mb or £42 for 350Mb. Asked to cancel and managed to do it without masses of back and forth.

Just will wait for the follow up call from them to hopefully get a better deal. £35 for 350Mb would be great.

I always get an audible sound of shock from them when they see my download and upload figures.

Back
Top Bottom