1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Avalon

Soldato

They have a retail price, they can’t play with the retail price every 5 minutes, so they use the new acquisitions budget to play with the headline price for marketing. It’s basically contract price minus marketing budget every month tweaked to look different. In historically dry months they may choose to increase it slightly, or they may just adjust the bonus structure to reflect it on the sales side - whatever is cheapest usually. Some players adjust marketing mid month (BT for example) for things like cash back sites, but it is based on RGU’s and new acquisitions as a % to target - they don’t want to blow the budget in week two, even though it’s perceived as desirable to add more customers. The problem with what you suggest is you loose the ability to market on offer price/sale price as a differentiator and whoever can sell at the cheapest rate, is perceived to win. That creates a scenario where nobody wants to be expensive and support and back end services are sold to the lowest bidder (offshore CS/TS etc) and any network investment is non existent (remember OR is just the last mile in this scenario) and then some genius thinks we can bring in data caps and throttle to save money and then leverage overage charges per megabyte to get rid of customers who cost us money every single month. You leave heavy users with a few ( dry expensive) options and aim for the light users to make money. The winners are rarely going to be the smaller players in the market unless (as has been done) you are literally running it out of your spare room and have near zero overheads, people understand pounds and pence, bits and bytes not so much.

For the minutes it takes every 12-18 months, it’s somewhere between a minute and 2 minutes per month if the contract, it’s hardly a massive time investment on your part to make sure you get the right deal for you. Is it fun? No, but people in general don’t read bills and often overlook it for a a few months/years before calling, given the actual profit per subscriber is relatively low, that makes a difference.

2. Besty

Mobster

thanks for posting this.

For all others in the same boat with Oomph VIP 500m bundles expiring, don’t waste time with customer care, use the mobile SMS facility and go through to retention. Wait times using the 150 number to speak to a person are up to four hours.

3. Bothwellbuyer

Associate

I had a Hitron router working ok with a netgear switch and a netgear nighthawk (to help with the wifi in my garden office) and everything was ok. The hitron was a relic of a VM business account I had but that eventually got switched off when we switched to a domestic HUB3.0. Since then the HUB3.0 is connected to the Netgear switch (and from that the NightHawk). The equipment in the office now works extremely slowly, dropping connection it seems. Does the HUB3.0 not like working with other equipment? I need the HUB3.0 in the house to provide wifi for the stuff in the house but the wifi signal won't reach the garden office. I think its almost as if there is a conflict somewhere. On another FB forum, a chap suggested looking at the subnet...I'll check but it just seems odd. I had similar problems previously with another hunk of plastic pretending to be a domestic VM router..can't remember which one. My wife pays £54 for 200mb download, TV, and a phone. Loking at VM Business like I had before and they list the Hitron as the router.
    Thoughts?

4. Besty

Mobster

i use asus AC equipment with the hub 3.0 and no problems here.

Question for the wider posters here, i have been offered a £110pm extension to
    my Oomph VVIP package by retention Seems like a good deal to me, any other opinions ?

5. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

I would never pay that much per month but I guess it depends on how much the TV element gets used in your household.

6. TNA

Capodecina

£110??

7. Besty

Mobster

500mbit broadband + two boxes + unlimited data sim + phone line + sky sports + sky cinema + bt sport + all channel unlocks with the exception of the premium ones.

Sky's deal is £140pm with 70mbps broadband - without the sim.

8. PAULRYAN52

Wise Guy

I've just upgraded from broadband and phone to ultimate oomph with 3 v6 boxes for £106.50

9. TNA

Capodecina

I see. Fair enough.

10. Besty

Mobster

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

11. Besty

Mobster

note to others: if your contract is up for renewal or, is expiring and you are on a top tier package, customer care are unable to offer you a new deal. you must go through retention.

the only way i could contact retention is via the official VM SMS text service, the phone app text service has no ability to refer you to retention.

once you are put in touch with retention via SMS text, the whole renewal and negotiation happens via SMS text message.

Some people are reporting up to a 4 hour wait to get through to customer services on 150 and then being told they can't process any deals for these top tier bundles. I was putting the phone down after an hour.

12. Bothwellbuyer

Associate

Thanks Besty. One question...did you set the Hub3.0 to modem only mode? Thanks.

13. neodude

Mobster

If you're using your own router, yes.

VM is unbeatable imho. But the Superhub leaves a lot to be desired.

14. Besty

Mobster

Yes, modem only mode and then one ethernet cable running from the Hub3.0 into the ASUS Internet Ethernet port. On ASUS this port is marked differently from the others, I would expect similar for other manufacturers.

As the main driving reason that the Hub3.0 has problems is not just because the wireless radios are a little weak, it is because the chip processing speed of the router/ips/firewall running on the hub3.0 is weak, that is why people run modem mode, as it takes the load off this weak cpu, for the most part and that is usually the source of the slow performance (my opinion).

That's why, even if you are not planning on getting a really fast connection from Virgin and all the expensive AC wireless kit to go with it, that you don't skimp on the 3rd party router/wifi device that you plug into the hub3.0 because if nothing else, the higher-speed chips on the latest routers will be able to give you really nice firewall/ips/security protection without getting overwhelmed like the hub3.0 does.

15. Soulja

Capodecina

What are the chances of getting a 4.0 hub from virgin media? Do they only give them out to people ordering the 1gps fibre? I really want to join virgin for the extra speed but I don't want to suffer with bad latency and speed drops.

16. xb8browney

Soldato

They issues are exaggerated imo and VM always has been slightly higher on latency (mines 22ms to UK servers)

17. e36Adz

Capodecina

I give up dealing with these clowns, who do I need to contact if I wish to take this beyond VM? They are still sending me email bills showing how much I owe for a mobile sim which was supposed to be free. They haven't refunded me the money yet which they took for this mobile sim. They've since acknowledged numerous times it was their error and barred the sim yet not sent a new one so I've not yet got the actual deal I signed up for months ago. I've written 2 letters of complaint, first one recieved a generic reply it basically ignored everything. The second one they haven't even replied to. Ringing them is pointless, it's always a different dept I need and always a call back they offer, not once has anyone called me back.

18. Caged

Capodecina

19. e36Adz

Capodecina

Cheers, will give them a try in a few weeks.

20. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Haven't had a great initial experience either. Install date pushed back a few days (guess that's expected in the current climate) and two of the same contract pending on my account even though I've rang up and asked why. They said the first one is cancelled but it's still pending a week later. The order number on the sim card they sent out reflects the one on the first cancelled contract and they've told me another sim won't be sent out for the newer contract. I'm not 100% confident it will just automatically switch, not when you hear cases like the above anyway...