Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
one thing I don't understand. VM is saying im in a High utilisation, if that's so then why does my TBB graph look good~ and yet get very poor speed at peak times? surely theres something else wrong?

Last edited:
Soldato
Update on my high bill, its Down to £112 as of today, VIP collection with 2 1tb Tivo boxes and an HD box, didnt have to pay extra for the extra Tivo box because of the problems, now im happy. £171 to £112.

Essentially what happened is a couple of discount codes we had on the account were expired and were not renewed (stupid), also somehow we were paying the old 100mb price and not the new one(even more stupid in my eyes), worth ringing them up and checking from time to time, even the guy i spoke to said its best to ring twice a year to make sure your getting the best deal and the pricing on the packages are correct.

Man of Honour
Agreed with the above when I phoned up to cancel, they didnt even blink and offered me two TiVo boxes and £15 off a month.
Still canceled, I want the sky tv extras like f1 HD, I just hope I get the full 30mb sky fibre as they said. Even that's a step down from 100mb

Soldato
i'm getting 500GB TiVo box on 14th and keeping the HD box. but the I need to pay £5 per month for TiVo box and a one off charge of £49 and I need to pay a extra £2.75 per month to keep the HD box

I thought the HD box is free?

so the bill will go up from £57.24 to £64.99

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys,

I got the 60mb install booked for the 21st of may, 2mb sky broadband just does not cut it, its making me want to punch kittens in the face.

Anyway, im a private tennant house sharing with 2 others but want the router installed in my room upstairs, will this be possible? or do they have to install it in an specific place?

Soldato
Looks like it may be time for me to find another DNS provider. Benchmarks have shown that the default VM server for DNS was far faster than others, but right now I just lost a ranked LoL game because I disconnected, I tried to reconnect but couldn't and even the website was down. I checked online and the site was showing as up, so I did a quick DNS check and the VM DNS server wouldn't resolve leagueoflegends.com.

I have no idea why suddenly out of nowhere that the DNS server would just screw up like that when it resolves other stuff fine, but if they can't provide a DNS server that will reliably work all the time then I need to find an alternative.

Soldato
i'm getting 500GB TiVo box on 14th and keeping the HD box. but the I need to pay £5 per month for TiVo box and a one off charge of £49 and I need to pay a extra £2.75 per month to keep the HD box

I thought the HD box is free?

so the bill will go up from £57.24 to £64.99
update.

well they came yesterday to install the TiVo box and guess what they couldn't get it to connect to the network. lol, so now one of manager is coming today at 9.30am to have a look.

Associate
I dont if anyone can help with this but im having lots of trouble with virgin bb at the moment.

This has been happening now for a few weeks but its got worse over the last couple of days. Basically my laptop keeps losing connection (wireless) to the hub every few minutes, it can last for a few seconds to 20 minutes each time, the middle light on the hub goes out and then comes back on again blinking like its been reset. I have hard wired equipment as well plugged in to the hub which is also being effected so i don't think its a wireless issue

The server status is reporting no faults

I have just had to ring virgin and had to deal with their call centre staff, the guy i first spoke to changed my hub wireless range to 6 instead of 11 and said he would ring back in a couple of hours to see if the changes he made had made a difference. while he was connected to my computer remotely he lost connection twice

20 minutes after i spoke to him on the phone the connection went again with the modem resetting itself. So i had to ring back and say its made no difference and the lady said she would book a technician to come out and have a look

Anyone else had this or similar happen to them ?

NZB

NZB

Associate
Some good news for a change, seems they're looking at relaxing the upload restrictions for 100 & 120mb customers introduced with the new traffic management policy:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/Our-New-Traffic-Management-Policy/m-p/1840262#M145

You've been telling us that some applications, for example video streaming from your home PC, need more upstream bandwidth than our policy currently allows at peak times, so for our 100 and 120Mb customers we're going to be trialing an updated policy early in June. This will be a trial across a wide area of our network and will carry on for a few weeks but we’d prefer not to give you all the details of the changes as we’d like to trial the policy against your normal usage and gather your feedback. We'll post an update on this closer to the trial start date.

Associate
just toying with the idea of going BT Infinity 2 and keeping the TIVO and XL tv on its own... dont use the landline phone at all... come to think of it I dont even know the number!

Anybody else going this route .... and what you paying for Infinity with Tivo TV ?

Soldato
You will pay more for less speed was what I found.

I was playing around with pricing at the weekend, sky, BT vision and infinity or mixtures of various.

You end up either getting less or paying more.

Caporegime
just toying with the idea of going BT Infinity 2 and keeping the TIVO and XL tv on its own... dont use the landline phone at all... come to think of it I dont even know the number!

Anybody else going this route .... and what you paying for Infinity with Tivo TV ?

You will pay more for less speed was what I found.

I was playing around with pricing at the weekend, sky, BT vision and infinity or mixtures of various.

You end up either getting less or paying more.

it's ridiculous the way it is all setup, if you do not get everything from the same provider, you pay a lot more.

basically broadband on its own is like £35 a month (120MB) but if you add a phone line, it jumps from £35 to £34.74 for 6 months (which is cheaper) and then £41.99 for the remaining months (an additional £6.99 for a phone line). then add tv as well as a phone line and it goes from £35 to £40.49 (£5.50 more for tv and phone) for 6 months then £53.49 (£18.50 extra) thereafter.

so basically the more you get the bigger the discount becomes, meaning if you want separate providers your going to pay a lot more as you do not get any "loyalty" discounts.

NZB

NZB

Associate
In this day and age you'd think they could at least progress it to having the choice between landline or mobile tied to the BB, i wouldn't mind that so much as neither the wife, kids or myself use the landline more than once in a blue moon, it's pretty much all mobile use.

It's not as though you need the landline for the BB to work with Virgin like ADSL does.

Soldato
Might not be the best place to ask, but I bought a virgin mobile sim only deal and they told me once the sim arrives I can phone and request a nano sim.

Anyone else done this? Just a bit skeptical....

Caporegime
Might not be the best place to ask, but I bought a virgin mobile sim only deal and they told me once the sim arrives I can phone and request a nano sim.

Anyone else done this? Just a bit skeptical....

you can just cut the sim using a template which can be printed out onto a piece of paper, then use a pair of scissors to cut where the template tells you to.

Back
Top Bottom