Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I did receive an e mail from Virgin stating they are going to be doing work in my area tomorrow (6/10) and that I may loose internet for awhile.

Maybe check your e mails to see if you have had anything similar but going by the news there has been a lot of flooding in London

Soldato
I did receive an e mail from Virgin stating they are going to be doing work in my area tomorrow (6/10) and that I may loose internet for awhile.

Maybe check your e mails to see if you have had anything similar but going by the news there has been a lot of flooding in London

I'm in SE London, lucky for me no issues at all, very solid and stable speeds. Any new users to Virgin, Superhub3 or 4 in modem mode is the way to go with a good third party router. :) .

Associate
I got an email yesterday saying they had identified the problem and then got a further email mid evening saying it was fixed.

Woke up this morning with no internet and had to reboot the router again to get it back up

Soldato
I am thinking of making the switch from BT who have been solid for me never goes down really but they taking ages to get high speed broadband in my area, is it worth switching? I seem to have all speed options available with Virgin Media.

Caporegime
Which area? Worth a quick look on their forum to see if people are reporting issues, and apparently Nextdoor often has people moaning about VM if it's poor in the area, though I've never used the app myself.

I know the Holloway area of London has some long-standing VM utilisation issues which they aren't too keen to fix, if that helps.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I am thinking of making the switch from BT who have been solid for me never goes down really but they taking ages to get high speed broadband in my area, is it worth switching? I seem to have all speed options available with Virgin Media.
Do it. I have been on virgin for two and a half years. Currently on 216 meg line for £25 a month. Go check out switch or something like that, they tend to have similar deals with cash back. I bypassed all that as my contract was coming to an end I just cancelled my contract with them as they could not offer me a good deal. Few days later I magically got the deal I wanted when they phoned me back :p

Never settle for the first price they offer once contract is coming to an end.

Soldato
My Internet was down all yesterday and until ~14:30 today, booked an engineer for tomorow(was Monday but got moved up), think i will cancel now if it keeps working for a few hours.

Soldato
Just had an email saying there will be an outage in my area next week while they do some maintenance - hopefully that means 1Gig is heading our way soon!

Quite likely. I have a Hub 4 even though I only have 500Mbit and I was on DOCSIS 3.0. I had the email warning about an outage which actually kicked in at around 6pm and only lasted 5 minutes or so. After that, the Hub 4 is now connected with a DOCSIS 3.1 channel and a couple of weeks later Gig1 was available.

For me it's an extra £30 a month over 500Mbit though so I'm good for now.

Soldato
I've seen mutterings on their forums that they're looking to put the upstream on 3.1 soon.

Decent. I wish they'd shift a gear and enable IPv6, it's been yeeears. "Most sites can still be reached by IPv4, we'll add it when sites require it". Meanwhile, sites say "Most users try to connect over IPv4, we'll add IPv6 when customers require it"... :rolleyes: I use a VPN 24/7 anyway, so do have good IPv6 support. I just wish everyone would pull their socks up, as they did with TLS post-Snowden, and get on with rolling it out propelry. Static IPs all around, and a nice whole subnet prefix to play with.

Soldato
I had an e mail on the 6/10 regarding maintenance in my area and all that happened was my internet went down for about 10 minutes at around 9am on the day and then was fine fafter that with no further disconnects

Still managed to work from home without any issues at all

Soldato
Quite likely. I have a Hub 4 even though I only have 500Mbit and I was on DOCSIS 3.0. I had the email warning about an outage which actually kicked in at around 6pm and only lasted 5 minutes or so. After that, the Hub 4 is now connected with a DOCSIS 3.1 channel and a couple of weeks later Gig1 was available.

For me it's an extra £30 a month over 500Mbit though so I'm good for now.
No email when my area went live but possible, yes.

Back
Top Bottom