Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Hi all i recieved a Hub4 because my speed was upgraded to 1Gb due to Volt promotion all was well for the first week and i was getting a decent wifi signal over most of my house but now it isnt great and drops out every so often or i just lose the signal.Im just wondering wether its worth me investing in a router and run the hub in modem mode or just buy a couple of range extenders.We dont tend to download a lot on our phones etc mainly because the wifi is so inconsistentso that might change if the wifi improves.My max budget would probably be about £100.
And advice would be brilliant thank you

Any of the wifi mesh setups would likely sort you out though being on 1Gb VM should be able to supply you wifi pods free of charge to extend coverage as you are on top package.

regarding volt, how long does it take to kick in, I bought a sim at new year, O2 have applied volt on the 7th to phone package, no update on my VM yet.

Associate
Soldato
Associate
VM should have a system in place to check flagged IP addresses and prevent them from being reassigned or flagging them to get sorted before being reassigned like communicating that they have been reassigned to someone else instead of passing bad IP addresses onto their customers.

Associate
Any of the wifi mesh setups would likely sort you out though being on 1Gb VM should be able to supply you wifi pods free of charge to extend coverage as you are on top package.

regarding volt, how long does it take to kick in, I bought a sim at new year, O2 have applied volt on the 7th to phone package, no update on my VM yet.

Cheers mate i will get onto VM as for Volt it only took a couple of weeks for it to update on my VM but from what ive seen i was one of the lucky ones and some people have been waiting a lot longer.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Possibly off topic, but somewhat amusing... We have a Virgin 360 box and was amused to find a voice search for Schitt's Creek returned "Sh*ts creek" (the star included)... Just for giggles we tried f*ck using voice search and the box turned itself off... Tried another 2 times and each time the box turned off :eek::cry:

Associate
Ever since switching to the hub 4 I keep seeing this crop up in event viewer

Name resolution for the name wpad.cable.virginm.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. on W7 machine and
Name resolution for the name wpad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. on W10 machine.

sequential entries after installing the hub4 then what looks like every 12h

Edit
Also got this one after cancelling wrongly clicked diagnostics

Name resolution for the name isatap.cable.virginm.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all i recieved a Hub4 because my speed was upgraded to 1Gb due to Volt promotion all was well for the first week and i was getting a decent wifi signal over most of my house but now it isnt great and drops out every so often or i just lose the signal.Im just wondering wether its worth me investing in a router and run the hub in modem mode or just buy a couple of range extenders.We dont tend to download a lot on our phones etc mainly because the wifi is so inconsistentso that might change if the wifi improves.My max budget would probably be about £100.
And advice would be brilliant thank you

With Volt you should be able to get:
  • WiFi Pods at no extra cost if you find any WiFi blackspots at home and get Intelligent WiFi Plus

Soldato
Message 4 on the VM forums may help to check IP status

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/PSN-Error-CE-33729-4-IP-Blacklisted/td-p/4818331

Since this happened directly after the swapover you may have been assigned a bad IP address so VM should have to do something about this.
Small update, they basically won’t do anything as the router itself isn’t faulty, initially said it would cost £25 but then said point blank no?

Anyone got any advice other than a paid vpn of that’s even possible

Permabanned
Thanks, do you mean Wifi route if the modem is set to modem mode only?

If you switch to modem mode you would need a secondary router to handle the routing/wifi plugged into the hub.

Might even give you a new IP if you switch to modem mode and back again. Mine rarely changes, it was the same for a year or so, but when I upgraded and switched to a hub 4 and was playing around with modem mode and switching back to router mode it did change several times.

Soldato
Anyone else get a price rise email?
I had just recontracted, now going up by £3.75 for fibre only..
I'm leaving, I can get fttc at around 60meg for £17 from my work...Slower speeds will be a pain though..

I got a letter through the post today saying the price is going up in March, but that my discount offer will remain until it ends. Then the full price resumes plus a £3.25 increase which would be £47.75.

Last May I told them to cancel and they offered me a couple of lower prices that I refused. Eventually they gave me a £19 discount, so I've been paying £25 pm and that ends in November. No package, just fibre, M100 I think it's called. The woman I spoke to said next time to call them 30 days before the discount ends to say I'm going to cancel and it should be easier to keep the discount going.

Soldato
That's what I like about Vodafone, no re-negotiations etc. the price is the price. I left Sky because of the constant give us a call and we'll talk about a new deal. Virgin install this weekend, but still 50/50 if I want it.

Associate
I also rcvd. a letter this morning saying prices are going up. The trouble is Virgin is my only option for fibre broadband unless I get an ADSL service, and even then the BT line to our house has not been used for over 25yrs.. so it would have to be recommissioned somehow, and I have no idea how to go about doing that.

Associate
I received my price hike letter from virgin today, the price of my package is going up £3.25 from the 1st March. They mentioned at the bottom of the page if I want to change my package or cancel, this can be done free of charge before 21/02/2022 without paying any cancellation fee. As I there is currently no other providers in my area offering 1gig and I'll be paying £33pm for the service, well soon to be £36.25 after the price hike in March I'll stick with what I have. I actually don't recall whether this is usual for virgin to increase their prices. Does this happen each year?

Back
Top Bottom