Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I am not sure if i want to switch now, just read up on virgin medias latency issues and lots of drop outs. They have a good deal on uswitch though 500m for £36 monthly, and no setup fee

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
In MyVM page it only shows that option to upgrade....even if I click the welcome to volt section it goes to same page unless it's somewhere else?

It’s not an option on their website. Basically get the sim contract from O2, then call virgin and tell them to apply Volt. That’s what I did. There maybe a few weeks wait until they confirm it, that’s it.

Man of Honour
I didn't have to phone, it just sorted itself automagically within a week :) Just make sure the name and address is the same on both the VM account and O2 account/SIM.

Soldato
Run ping -i 0.5 1.1.1.1 in a terminal and then launch an Ubuntu torrent download (i.e. saturate your line) and watch the numbers fly on VM. Or (better), run an RRUL test in Flent and compare. They are not the same. ;)

Running ping -t 1.1.1.1 would be better, trying to use a TTL (-i = TTL, not interval) of 1 is not going to give you anything of use.

Soldato
Running ping -t 1.1.1.1 would be better, trying to use a TTL (-i = TTL, not interval) of 1 is not going to give you anything of use.
While I appreciate the post (really) and tbh I should have known better... Look at my sig. What I posted is correct on any proper OS like *BSD, Linux or macOS, where -i is interval and -t is TTL. :p I'm assuming -i = TTL is a Windows thing?

Soldato
While I appreciate the post (really) and tbh I should have known better... Look at my sig. What I posted is correct on any proper OS like *BSD, Linux or macOS, where -i is interval and -t is TTL. :p I'm assuming -i = TTL is a Windows thing?

Yep, I'd wrongly assumed that the command was aimed at a Windows user. I know the differences in the syntax between Windows and *nix but I generally work on the assumption that most people here are using Windows.

Didn't notice the sig, I have them disabled so don't see them.

Soldato
Run ping -i 0.5 1.1.1.1 in a terminal and then launch an Ubuntu torrent download (i.e. saturate your line) and watch the numbers fly on VM. Or (better), run an RRUL test in Flent and compare. They are not the same. ;)
They weren't, VM did better.

N0Tmpv5.png

TxrfEX9.png

Can't do any testing with RRUL as I don't have anything linux. Trying to do bittorrent tests but nothing I have found saturates my 1gbit line. Might do a origin+steam+battlenet test.

Soldato
Since I've moved out of the city centre last week I've had to get rid of my beloved Hyperoptic to VM - 2 bed house, office upstairs (in the 2nd bedroom) get absolutely garbage WiFi with the superhub - what is the best 3rd party home router to use these days? I don't need anything advanced anymore - can configure network devices no problem if it's more of a geeks router. Mainly want decent wifi coverage across the house.

Soldato
Here's mine, Vodafone FTTP via CityFibre aswell:

Bare in mind I have absolutely no QoS going on.
That's a nicely made vid (genuinely), and FTTP is always going to rule. As I said earlier though, do note that unless you're saturating your line both ways with hundreds of connections (think torrents, Tor, servers) you won't really start to separate the men from the boys. People with VM lines doing what you posted and saying

c6cgUzQ.jpg

are missing the point. Go to flent.org and follow the instructions to run an rrul test. On your line, you'll be fine. I'd encourage everyone who said their VM lies are great to do an actual real world test like that and report back with the graph and data files, though. ;)

Soldato
That's a nicely made vid (genuinely), and FTTP is always going to rule. As I said earlier though, do note that unless you're saturating your line both ways with hundreds of connections (think torrents, Tor, servers) you won't really start to separate the men from the boys. People with VM lines doing what you posted and saying

c6cgUzQ.jpg

are missing the point. Go to flent.org and follow the instructions to run an rrul test. On your line, you'll be fine. I'd encourage everyone who said their VM lies are great to do an actual real world test like that and report back with the graph and data files, though. ;)
Running a network stress test on an OS few people use isn't real world though.

Permabanned

c6cgUzQ.jpg

None of that is "real world" to 99% of users.

Back
Top Bottom