Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Virgin Media cancelled! Seemingly painless phone call but we'll see when the final bill comes
Just remember that until the account generates the final bill - roughly 2 weeks after the disconnection date - you will be billed in advance as usual, so you may receive (though ideally not pay) an interim advanced charge. You will obviously be refunded though.

Soldato
I have gone ahead and given my 30 days notice at my parents place.

Disconnection on the 20th Aug. In dad's name.

Looking to sign up in my mum's name as a new customer, can I go ahead and book the installation for the 21st Aug?

Soldato

Looking to sign up in my mum's name as a new customer, can I go ahead and book the installation for the 21st Aug?
You can book it for earlier if you want, use Quidco/TCB while you're at it.

Associate

Yes I do this on the years that they don’t give me a good deal

Soldato
Does that mean there'll be 2 active connections?
No, the disconnection work order would be completed down prior to the install work order being completed - you will never have two active accounts, but will be billed your notice period on the first account regardless.

Man of Honour
Is there likely to be a better deal than this? It's for a backup line only.

Exclusive offer - M100 fibre broadband & phone £22.95 with free setup and £50 bill credit ends 31st July.

It's an 18 month contract so works out at just over £20 per month.

Caporegime
How badly do you need a backup, what do you need a backup for? Three often have some dirt cheap SIM deals and if your mobile signal is alright where you are that could be an option. £23/month with two inflation-linked price rises during your contract period for a backup seems a bit excessive, but only you can assess the value of it.

Man of Honour
How badly do you need a backup, what do you need a backup for? Three often have some dirt cheap SIM deals and if your mobile signal is alright where you are that could be an option. £23/month with two inflation-linked price rises during your contract period for a backup seems a bit excessive, but only you can assess the value of it.

I WFH, I'd be stuffed without internet. We don't get 5G here apart from fringe with Vodafone.

I'd actively use the line as well, my router supports multiple WAN.

The terms for broadband through the partner discount site I have access to show this:

The price of your Virgin Media services may increase during your contract. If this happens, we will notify you beforehand and you will have the option to leave your Virgin Media contract without paying an early termination fee, including where you are in a minimum term contract. If you are purchasing or recontracting your Virgin Media services for a new minimum term at the same time as purchasing or recontracting to an O2 Airtime Plan, and we increase the price of your Virgin Media services, you will have the option to leave your Virgin Media services and your O2 Airtime Plan without paying an early termination fee.

Whereas for O2 they say they can put the prices up in line with RPI.

Man of Honour
I'm not interested in an O2 SIM really, I had one before and I found the service as a whole to be quite poor compared to EE. I'm just on the phone to them now as I think there's a pricing mistake on the partner site I used to sign up.

Clean-Shot-2022-07-28-at-09-35-29.png

I think the M350 should be +£12 as my proper contract has come through for £34.95, whereas the pre-contract came through at £28.95. See what they say but I won't be too annoyed with M100 as a backup.

Edit, they've done it for £30 a month with a £2 per month bill credit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some time after cancelling VM sent me a couple of texts offering 100mb for £19

Don't think I said anything about wanting half the old speed and no landline but guess that's the offer they were told to shift.

Soldato
Afternoon all

Currently have 350mb with Virgin and a landline (inlaws in the adjacent annex use this) and pay £40 per month, contract is up shortly, should I just say I want to reduce my monthly cost or at the very least not pay anymore? 350mb is more like 400mb as the VM cab is on my drive

Man of Honour
Afternoon all

Currently have 350mb with Virgin and a landline (inlaws in the adjacent annex use this) and pay £40 per month, contract is up shortly, should I just say I want to reduce my monthly cost or at the very least not pay anymore? 350mb is more like 400mb as the VM cab is on my drive

Once out of contract phone up and say you'd like to cancel the service. When they ask why just calmly explain its too expensive. They'll make an offer and if you decline it will go to another retentions team which will make a better offer. If neither of those are any good you can put your notice to cancel and you'd then mostly likely get a call with a better price within the 30 day cancellation period. I didn't bother going as far as cancelling as I got offered 200mbit (350 with Volt boost) for £24 a month :)

Man of Honour
They couldn't sort my account out and wouldn't match the pricing error. I then tried to cancel. It took 45 minutes and one of the rudest CS staff I've ever spoken to who then refused to give me their full name or cancel it. They finally said my order has cancelled but my account area is still active and I've had no emails to say it's been cancelled. I'd post the cancellation bit at the bottom of the contract but I bet they'll claim they never received it. Here's to another 45 minutes of my life wasted on the phone to simply cancel an order.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They couldn't sort my account out and wouldn't match the pricing error. I then tried to cancel. It took 45 minutes and one of the rudest CS staff I've ever spoken to who then refused to give me their full name or cancel it. They finally said my order has cancelled but my account area is still active and I've had no emails to say it's been cancelled. I'd post the cancellation bit at the bottom of the contract but I bet they'll claim they never received it. Here's to another 45 minutes of my life wasted on the phone to simply cancel an order.

This happened to a family member also. Virgin CS is terrible.

Back
Top Bottom