Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I did my own install today on my Virgin 1 gig the only issue I have at the moment is the my CCTV Hik-Connect app won’t work on my WiFi (Unifi) internally, it works off Wi-Fi so I’ll have to see if I can fix that.

Other than that the speed seems ok… I haven’t fully tested it yet as I have been working as well, anyone with any tips on the IVMS-4500 app not working on WiFi would be much appreciated!

Soldato
I did my own install today on my Virgin 1 gig the only issue I have at the moment is the my CCTV Hik-Connect app won’t work on my WiFi (Unifi) internally, it works off Wi-Fi so I’ll have to see if I can fix that.

Other than that the speed seems ok… I haven’t fully tested it yet as I have been working as well, anyone with any tips on the IVMS-4500 app not working on WiFi would be much appreciated!

Was it a case of just unplugging the router then plugging new one in and wait a few mins to activate? was easy process?

Associate
Was it a case of just unplugging the router then plugging new one in and wait a few mins to activate? was easy process?
Hi mate not quiet you have to mess about activating stuff on line with the Virgin app, which isn’t great and I had to mess around rebooting the router quiet a bit. My only issues is my CCTV now.

Soldato

That's odd, I'm using the virgin router with two u6 pro's and having no hik-connect issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
How are you trying to connect? Are you connecting to the external IP address (or FQDN) of the VM Hub or using the internal IP address that the port forward is pointing to?

Unless the VM Hub supports NAT hair pinning (which I know it didn't when I was last a VM customer) then trying to access the external address from within your network won't work.

Soldato
On the line with VM rententions, offered £33 for 18 months for M500.... they offered £39 for the 1Gbit. Tempted but I gave it a miss.

E: wondering if I should have gone for the 1gbps with higher upload....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I never really looked into why that is. Please excuse the basic questions but isnt VM fibre to the property (almost... assuming the last bit is copper right?) So i take it Cityfibre is literally fibre topic right into the house/router?
VM is a hybrid mess, some fibre to the house, some not. But their backhaul is a complete mess and inherited junk. Check https://bidb.uk for any alt net providers, where it's a proper backhaul and fibre to the house.

Soldato
Clearly Im not updating myself on this... honestly speaking Ive been very happy with VM over the past 10-15 years.... speeds have always been reliable. Always get a little more than what is on the tin.
I guess with proper fibre you can get up/down at same speeds as opposed to VM's pitiful up speeds?

Soldato
Ok this is interesting.. I just used that website and I noticed that several providers (Sky, Giganet, Vodafone) are claiming i have 900mbs/1gbps in my area... price is in region of £50 a month though....
Whats the catch? VM offered me £39 just earlier today... am I missing something?

Man of Honour
Ok this is interesting.. I just used that website and I noticed that several providers (Sky, Giganet, Vodafone) are claiming i have 900mbs/1gbps in my area... price is in region of £50 a month though....
Whats the catch? VM offered me £39 just earlier today... am I missing something?
No catch. And a vastly superior connection in terms of latency and gutter.

Soldato
No catch. And a vastly superior connection in terms of latency and gutter.
I see, thank you all for making me aware about this... need to have a think....

I guess with latency and gutter this is critical for gaming... truth be told I am not gaming much these days....
Also the costs that I can see from other suppliers are in regions of £50 to £70 for Gigabit... VM offered £39... is it possible these suppliers will "price match" or are they priced to sell essentially?

I also noticed Sky has it.... I have to renew my Sky offer soon, I wonder how good their gigabit is....

Associate
How are you trying to connect? Are you connecting to the external IP address (or FQDN) of the VM Hub or using the internal IP address that the port forward is pointing to?

Unless the VM Hub supports NAT hair pinning (which I know it didn't when I was last a VM customer) then trying to access the external address from within your network won't work.
It’s got to be the NAT hair pinning how do I get round that

Man of Honour
I see, thank you all for making me aware about this... need to have a think....

I guess with latency and gutter this is critical for gaming... truth be told I am not gaming much these days....
Also the costs that I can see from other suppliers are in regions of £50 to £70 for Gigabit... VM offered £39... is it possible these suppliers will "price match" or are they priced to sell essentially?

I also noticed Sky has it.... I have to renew my Sky offer soon, I wonder how good their gigabit is....
It’s not just gaming. It’s general web browsing, any voice/video calls etc. loads of deals to be had via TopCashback etc.

Back
Top Bottom