1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by ChrisD., Sep 23, 2008.

1. wam7

Wise Guy

You shouldn't have to wait ages any more. I posted earlier in the thread about my experience but basically get through to level 2 in Swansea and tell them that you game and use VOIP and would like a SH2AC until the SH3 latency issues are fixed. They are generally reticent to send them out but once they understand you know what you're talking about they normally send them out straight away. Mine came in 2 days. I still have my black SH3 for when the latency issues are fixed - I prefer the fewer flashing lights on the SH3.

2. Terrier_Jimlad

Mobster

Did they send it out for free or did you have to pay for postage?

3. wam7

Wise Guy

It was totally free. Why should we have to pay when it is their fault! ;)

4. Voicon

Wise Guy

Remember you have a coolong off period of 14 days to cancel without charge from the install date, also cable doesn't need a settling in period so test straight away in the evenings after 4pm and weekends then if you experience poor speed you can get out.

5. Terrier_Jimlad

Mobster

That's true, but ADSL up at the new place is only 4Mb and FTTC is only 35Mb so i'm kinda resting all my hopes on VM being okay up there as I've just ditched a VERY reliable and solid 70Mb PlusNet FTTC connection at my old place :rolleyes:

6. Whackeygrunt

Gangster

I'll be in a very similar situation within the next 6 months. Moving to a place where Virgin is the only real option (for a modern, high speed connection). Every other ISP is limited to approx 5MB connections as the actual infrastructure isn't there for them. It's in Gateshead. I'm hoping over subscription isn't an issue.... Will be giving up my very reliable, BT fibre connection in my current place.

7. darael

Mobster

8. Voicon

Wise Guy

So they are now asking if people (USA) would like to be considered in a class action law suite, might give them the kick they need to fix This?

9. Arthur Hucksake

Mobster

Shame we can't jump on board. I would.

10. Steveocee

Mobster

I'm a little bit excited! Just seen roadworks with a sign on they are on behalf of VM.

Im a bit giddy at the thought of getting the 200/20 gamer bundle.

11. Voicon

Wise Guy

You might be able to get the 300/20 ?

I called VM earlier today in contract negotiations and they were as useless as ever, not interested in trying to keep a 10yr+ customer, I asked when I could get gamer or 300mb and was told no idea, I only really wanted the 20mb upload mainly.

The suing culture is here and may be on a par with the USA soon, market size is a lot bigger over there though so easier to get many people on board, you never know though :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  12. Steveocee

Mobster

I saw that as a false economy though, if I'm paying more then I want both more download AND upload. If it was 300/30 then yeah I'd probably go for that but for just download only it doesn't warrant it for me.

13. Voicon

Wise Guy

Yeah if you don't need the 300 it is, I class my family as heavy users and 200mb is enough, I am about to go down to 80 which won't be much difference looking at my usage, my highest bandwidth use is transferring files from a server on the OVH network and that gets throttled by VM sort of with the amount of usage it gets on their network.

14. ChrisD.

Capodecina

Would be FTTC every time for me.

15. Voicon

Wise Guy

I just had a call off the sales department after cancelling my contract, they told me they can get me a better deal by cancelling my contract and signing up with my wife's name and they will do me a new customer deal. They must be desperate for sales to call and ask that?

He just told me I have to change my landline number.

16. FreeStream

Capodecina

Sadly, it seems they might have run out... I ordered one last week and a SH3 turned up instead.

Rang up again - said they'd try and source one...

Fail!

17. Voicon

Wise Guy

I have a SH2AC her they never asked to be returned, they really don't care about the latency issue and want everyone on the SH3 for their hotspot campaign.

18. Arthur Hucksake

Mobster

Vermin Media deserve it. I've had an open fault with them for 2 years effecting the whole area.

19. Voicon

Wise Guy

I completely agree with you, I had a over utilisation issue as well, mine was fixed in 2 months which was very quick for them but it opened my eyes to how many people are affected when I investigated my issue. The support I received during the time I had the issue was nothing but shocking even from the executive team. I voted with my feet and have cancelled but I know that's not an option for some.

VM need a kick over here, I would advise you contact someone like watchdog who may well be interested ;)

20. ChrisD.

Capodecina

I really don't understand how they have got away with it for so long and avoided the press etc.